spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ComcrapSucks
join:2008-08-03
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

[Connectivity] Not sure what the problem is

I've tried a lot of things to fix my connection issues, but none of them seem to work. I guess one way of explaining it is that my ping is unstable, there's not much affect on my computer, but online gaming is terrible.

I have comcast, the speed tests seem ok. Some are even higher than what they said I was supposed to be getting. My ping was 50ms. I don't understand what the problem is. I've flushed my DNS cache like comcast told me to do, and also deleted cookies. I've power booted thousands of times, I have a wired connection. The problem is always there no matter what time of day it is.

I have a Mac, and I've been searching and searching everyday a bunch of different websites but I can't find any help.

If anyone out there can guide me through this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Mac OSX version 10.4.11. I have a comcast SB5120 Motorola surfboard Cable modem (new), I have a linksys WRTU54G wireless router currently connected, that is from tmobile that we're using for a home phone. (brand new) and I have an extra linksys WRT54G wireless router as well that isn't connected anymore, it did work in the past, but something went wrong somewhere. And now I just can't get things to work right.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

The top of the Comcast forum page has a link:

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

Use it, and post some information, so the Comcast wonks can get a handle on how to help you.

CT3
@comcast.net

CT3 to ComcrapSucks

Anon

to ComcrapSucks
Few things that would be helpful

Are you running any servers or additional client software that accesses the web IE P2P, IM's, etc. while you run the games?

Do you have at least 5' between the router, modem and any phones?

Have you tried it with a straight connection from the modem?
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

No, no servers and no software like that. I don't have 5' between them. My router is sitting right next to the modem, and the phone is right outside the room. I have tried the straight connection, but nothing changes.

Your location: West Haven, Utah

2) A description of the problem. Check.

3) Is the issue intermittent, constant or does it occur at a specific time of day? intermittent/constant

4) Your modem make, model & firmware version.
comcast SB5120 Motorola surfboard Cable modem (new)

5) Describe any home networking if applicable. (i.e. routers, hubs, adapters, etc.) linksys WRTU54G wireless router currently connected, that is from tmobile that we're using for a home phone. (brand new) and I have an extra linksys WRT54G wireless router as well that isn't connected anymore, it did work in the past, but something went wrong somewhere.

6) List any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed. Include what version you have
Don't know, new to mac
ComcrapSucks

ComcrapSucks

"Warning: ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload speeds may be inaccurate." I've never heard of this before?

Receive Window (RWIN): 65535
Window Scaling: 0
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON
RFC1323 Time Stamping: ON
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1360
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 48
TOS flags: none set

Actual data bytes sent: 1045569
Actual data packets: 778
Max packet sent (MTU): 1388
Max packet recd (MTU): 1388
Retransmitted packets: 16
sacks you sent: 49
pushed data pkts: 53
data transmit time: 11.476 secs
our max idletime: 232.8 ms
transfer rate: 86601 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 692 kbits/sec
transfer efficiency: 97%

Change MTU to 1500 (FAQ #652, #695)
Choose RWIN between 844560 and 2250800 (FAQ #586)
If you have GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize registry entry (do a REGEDIT Find) then change it to -1 (decimal)
See tweaks/Unix page
Read the tweak FAQ

Observations:
Upload packet less than your MTU (FAQ #1492)
Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

Observations:
Become pingable
if you need basic packet loss tests done
Check tweak FAQ

I don't know how to become pingable for that test. I read the FAQ

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Your RWIN is too low
MTU should be 1500
can't tell you how to change those on a MAC
Apple does provide this tool
»www.apple.com/support/do ··· r10.html
But there forums and the MAC forums here seem to say this is not needed as OS 10.4+ is self tuning.
Do you know which tier/price plan you are on? (i.e. what speeds you should be getting)
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

8megs. Whichever that one is. Btw Anyone tell me the difference between kb and KB? Numbers wise

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

"kb" is kilobits; 1,024 bits.

"KB" (or "kB") is kiloBytes; 1,024 Bytes.

There are 8 bits in a Byte.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

I cannot figure out how to change my RWIN
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
Even though 10.5 is supposed to have a self-tuning TCP/IP stack, I found that the Broadband Tuner helped. I don't believe that any version of 10.4 is self-tuning.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

I downloaded the broadband tuner, but I don't know what it did. I went to speedtest.net and it showed 52 ping, down- 5844 kb/s and up- 361 kb/s.
Seems like it made things slower?
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Recognize that if your speeds are not consistent, it will be difficult to know whether any specific result is related to some change you have made. I can personally testify that the Broadband Tuner helped me (both OS 10.4 and 10.5). Since Cox HSI (my ISP) licenses Powerboost from Comcast, I believe my experiences are relevant here.

Comparing the results you posted on 08/05 to your latest post, it look like the download speed has increased, while the upload has decreased. Given that I have seen close to 4 Mbps upload speed (with upload Powerboost), I have no reason to believe that the Broadband Tuner will cripple your upload speed.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

Any other ideas

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Have you checked the MTU setting in the router? Should be set to "auto" or manually set to "1500".
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

The MTU was originally at 1500 but I changed it to 1400. Because I thought that would help. Its not as low as the 1365 or something that xbox needs, but its pretty close. Less of a maximum transition unit the less packets can be lost right?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

No.
It is the MAXIMUM size, all you are doing is limiting your throughput for uses other than the xbox.
in fact by creating the bottleneck at the router you have increased the likelyhood of fragmentation which probably increase the chance of an error.
try it back at 1500.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to ComcrapSucks

MVM

to ComcrapSucks
I'll just add to tshirt See Profile 's post. After you change the MTU in the router to 1500, the Tweak test will report an MTU of 1488 because it is a Mac.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

I read that. I changed the MTU back to 1500. Does the maximum number of DHCP users matter?

Can anyone help me become pingable?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I'm using a WRT54g. To become pingable, I click the "security" tab and uncheck "Block Anonymous Internet Requests". Save settings.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

ComcrapSucks

ComcrapSucks

The second one I ran:

Test Loss Min
Latency Avg
Latency Max
Latency Pass
Fail
Simple ping loss check
10secs of 40byte packets 2 per second 20% loss 90.1ms 95.5ms 108ms
fail
low bandwidth stream
10secs of 56k/bit ping stream 512byte packets 0% loss 90.5ms 95.4ms 116ms
pass
medium bandwidth stream
10secs of 128k/bit ping stream 512byte packets 0% loss 90.7ms 96.8ms 338ms
pass
your first hop ping
stream of 40byte pings to 68.87.171.58 0% loss 82.8ms You are 7ms
to your first hop
pass
ComcrapSucks

ComcrapSucks

Someone help!

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Please provide ALL the info requested here
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!
and post links to the results (cut and paste makes it hard to read)
The tests can be greatly effected by other apps/activities on your computer. It is best to clear caches, delete temp files, even reboot and make sure nothing else is runnimg on your computer before the test (itunes, AV, and other updates should NOT be going during the test) then click the start button and do NOTHING during the test, until the result are available.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

I cant do all of them, I have a Mac. But I tried hooking up my other router and the speeds aren't nearly as bad. But Im still not getting a great connection over Xbox live... Would a hub help? instead of a router?

Any settings I could change to have my xbox take up the majority of the bandwidth? I've seen the settings on both of my routers, but I couldn't fix the problem.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

A hub won't help (think of a hub as a very simple splitter, like a 3-4way adaptor for an outlet) but you are only allowed one IP (one device plugged in) at a time.
I looked carefully at your first test graphic bottom of page one) and it shows the problem is either at your house or within the local /last hop. Have you tried a direct connection to the modem? I'm suspecting either your sprint device or the xbox may not be playing well with others.
ComcrapSucks
Layton, UT

ComcrapSucks

Well I solved the majority of the problem by eliminating the WRTU54G or whatever router. It makes things really bad. The other router is a lot better. The WRTU54G is for Tmobile home phone. But do you know any tweaks I could try to get the xbox connection better?
ComcrapSucks

ComcrapSucks

How To Get Help! (#13965)
Please post the following information:

Answer these 6 questions first, then answer any of the following questions that are specific to your issue:

1) Your location: City and State. West Haven, UT

2) A description of the problem. Bad Xbox Live connection, don't know why really

3) Is the issue intermittent, constant or does it occur at a specific time of day? Constant

4) Your modem make, model & firmware version. How to find firmware version: Motorola Surfboard SB5120

5) Describe any home networking if applicable. (i.e. routers, hubs, adapters, etc.) Cable Modem, to linksys wireless G router WRT54G

6) List any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed. Include what version you have. None that I know of, anyone think I do?

If you have an issue with slow speed:

• Post a speed test: Speed Test- Speeds are dwn is between 6500kbs 11000kbs upload stays around 2000kbs

• Post a tweak test result: Tweak Test - »/tweak ··· a=normal

If you have an issue with an intermittent connection or no connection:

• What indicator lights does the modem have and the current status of each. (i.e. constant or blinking) Power, receive, send, online are all solid green. and Pc/Activity is orange and blinks from time to time all normal

• Post modem's signal levels: Signal Levels- dont know how

• Post modem's log entries: Log Entries dont know how

• Give a description of the cable & splitters configuration in your home leading to the modem. cable from the wall goes to cable modem, modem to router, router to Mac and Xbox

If you have issues with packet loss, latency, or routing:

• Post a trace route to the server you're having issues with. Use PingPlotter for the best results. Download here: PingPlotter-wont work

• To monitor an IP address for 24+ hours to detect packet loss and/or excessive latency variability from three different locations, use: Smokeping I tried smokeping but I didnt check back on it in time to see the results, I'll try again

• A simple line test can be used from the Tools page: Line Packet Loss Testing

del 12-08-2008 01:26 AM Line quality 0% loss latency 90.3ms more
del 12-08-2008 01:13 AM Line quality 20% loss latency 90.1ms more
del 09-08-2008 11:34 PM Line quality 10% loss latency 90.8ms more

For any other issues:

• Post any additional information that may help in resolving your issue.
I think it might have to do with my router settings?
A comcast tech came out about a week ago, said it was the tmobile router slowing things down, so I hooked up my other router. I get A LOT better speeds, but still a poor xbox connection. Every game I get the connection message and I can see my ping in the red bar or yellow

If you are looking for official Comcast tech support go to:
Comcast Support
ComcrapSucks

ComcrapSucks

»/testh ··· 42/a3231

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

You have a wireless router. are you connecting wirelessly to the computer? how about to the Xbox?
if all is wired, can you shutoff the wireless radio in the router setup? also if wired are you sure the ethernet cables are good?
if wireless are you sure your devices are the only ones connecting? do you see other networks? what sort of security are running? (WEP,WPA WPA2?)
from your recent tweak test I'd say your rwin is now too high (especially for a WLAN), somewhere in the 200k range is good. Also all the loss/delay seems to be very close to home, perhaps in the router or other computer activity?
centric
join:2005-07-31
Ann Arbor, MI

centric to ComcrapSucks

to ComcrapSucks
Post your modem levels. »192.168.100.1/signal.htm