All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
camster39
join:2001-11-18

camster39

[XP Pro] Default 'save as' folder

How do I change the default destination folder for the 'save as' function? For example, an email attachment, file/save as -- how do I change this default folder location.

Also when the save as window comes up, is there a way to change the path of the 'my documents' icon on the left hand side?

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf

Premium Member

said by camster39:

How do I change the default destination folder for the 'save as' function? For example, an email attachment, file/save as -- how do I change this default folder location.
Depends on the program. In Microsoft Office you can set the default location for documents in Tools->Options. Pegasus Mail, my favorite email program (get it from »www.pmail.com/), remembers the last location where you saved something, and it also has a "Recent Directories" button on the "Save" dialog.
said by camster39:

Also when the save as window comes up, is there a way to change the path of the 'my documents' icon on the left hand side?
Right-click "My Documents" on the desktop and choose "Properties". You can change the location by clicking the [Move] button.

TweakUI, a Microsoft PowerToy, allows you to customize the buttons that appear to the left of many "Save" dialogs. Get TweakUI here:
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
»www.microsoft.com/window ··· oys.mspx
HTH

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to camster39

MVM

to camster39
To change the path to "My Documents" you would need to reassign where "My Documents" is located. Do you really want to move your My Documents folder, or are you hoping to have the "My Documents" button open a folder that this not really "My Documents"?
camster39
join:2001-11-18

camster39

Worked great - I just changed the properties of the my docs icon without moving the actual folder.

Thanks