share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

3 edits

Will it be cheaper than renting a DVR from cable company

This might be interesting depending on what they charge per month for the service. A DVR can run anywhere from $10 to $20 per month for each DVR from a cable company. But a hosted server could be used from multiple TVs without having a DVR on each TV.

It would also depend on whether they allow fast forwarding thru commercials or not. A service that doesn't do that would be pretty worthless for most people.

Also with a networked DVR service, you are subject to the same problems people have with VOD - and that is all the available channels available at a node for VOD can be used up by neighbors and you may get an error msg that you can't play back your recording when you want to. Of course, a good deployment of SDV could mitigate this problem.

--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

You think that savings will be passed on to the customer? I don't.

canesfan2001

join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL
reply to FFH

I would image you would probably end up with a scenario where the price didn't drop but you got to use the recorded content on all TVs. A win-win scenario (you get "more DVRs" and they make more money)
--
OASAASLLS

Stu Pidaso

join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Also with a networked DVR service, you are subject to the same problems people have with VOD - and that is all the available channels available at a node for VOD can be used up by neighbors and you may get an error msg that you can't play back your recording when you want to. Of course, a good deployment of SDV could mitigate this problem.
True, but the times that service may be out due to whatever It would be nice to know the program is still being recorded. Also would this allow for more recordings at once?

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Also with a networked DVR service, you are subject to the same problems people have with VOD - and that is all the available channels available at a node for VOD can be used up by neighbors and you may get an error msg that you can't play back your recording when you want to.
Then obviously the DVR hogs who are causing congestion transferring way more than they could possibly ever watch have to be stopped by going to a bill-by-the-byte system.
--
Electile Dysfunction: the inability to become aroused over the choice for President put forth by either party.

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to FFH

I doubt it, they'll save on purchasing the 500 dollar units, and they'll still squeeze you for money.

Capitalism at it's finest.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

This might be interesting depending on what they charge per month for the service. A DVR can run anywhere from $10 to $20 per month for each DVR from a cable company. But a hosted server could be used from multiple TVs without having a DVR on each TV.

It would also depend on whether they allow fast forwarding thru commercials or not. A service that doesn't do that would be pretty worthless for most people.

It may be PPV like some VOD content is and there will system limits like channel over load and more.

Also will movies on free channels be able to be put on this or will you be forced to use VOD PPV for them?

disc

join:2005-12-31
Raleigh, NC
reply to MrMoody

said by MrMoody:

Then obviously the DVR hogs who are causing congestion transferring way more than they could possibly ever watch have to be stopped by going to a bill-by-the-byte system.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, eh.

I have to imagine this will eventually become an issue for providers. Would they use monthly caps to regulate peak busy hour TV viewing?

bear73
Metnav... Fly The Unfriendly Skies
Premium
join:2001-06-09
Derry, NH
reply to FFH

and with VOD (which is essentially what this is) we AGAIN have problems of over-saturation of the cable/fiber channels for available bandwidth...
--
If ya gotta go, Go with a SMILE!
»www.thereligionofpeace.com/

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

reply to MrMoody

how do you figure? it would be just like VOD. It does not use the Internet. The Cable co's VOD and and this would not touch the actual internet.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to FFH

Personally, I wanna know where you are getting your $10-$20 a month per box figures from. Quote me some real numbers here if you will.

Here in Time Warner territory a 'DVR' charge is only made once per household. Then it's a generic 'set top' charge per box. Right now in our region it's running about $6.95 for the dvr fee and $7.65 per set-top. While still a bit high, it's certainly not as astronomical as you think. So if we had 3 dvr's, it would be $6.95+$7.65+$7.65+$7.65=$29.90/mo compared to your $6.95+$7.65+$6.95+$7.65+$6.95+$7.65=$43.80/mo
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Vchat20:

So if we had 3 dvr's, it would be $6.95+$7.65+$7.65+$7.65=$29.90/mo compared to your $6.95+$7.65+$6.95+$7.65+$6.95+$7.65=$43.80/mo
Cablevision charges $9.95 per month, per DVR plus $6.50 per month for the box rental, making the cost per DVR $16.45 with no discount whatsoever for additional DVRs

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FFH

dont worry im sure the entertainment industry is going to go cry to SCOTUS that the big bad federal court hurt their feelings because the judge couldnt be bribed.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to Vchat20

said by Vchat20:

Personally, I wanna know where you are getting your $10-$20 a month per box figures from. Quote me some real numbers here if you will.

Here in Time Warner territory a 'DVR' charge is only made once per household. Then it's a generic 'set top' charge per box. Right now in our region it's running about $6.95 for the dvr fee and $7.65 per set-top. While still a bit high, it's certainly not as astronomical as you think. So if we had 3 dvr's, it would be $6.95+$7.65+$7.65+$7.65=$29.90/mo compared to your $6.95+$7.65+$6.95+$7.65+$6.95+$7.65=$43.80/mo
That's great Time Warner is so nice... Charter charges $15 for DVR Service (per DVR) plus $5 per set top box. So a DVR costs $20 PER DVR. No discounts for additional DVR's.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Wow...Well, I stand corrected then. If it was that bad around here, I woulda just said screw it and made sure the VCR was programmed and live with the poor quality.