uniqs
share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Has it's pro's and Cons

Well it's centralized storage on protected raid arrays for one. Your recordings are safer from hardware failure. Plus on a whim they can release storage upgrades, much like ISP's increased e-mail and web page / ftp storage spaces over the years.

It saves the cable companies lots of money by deploying regular set tops, and cheap (digital only) set tops.

Cons however...

I can easily see the VOD QAM's filling up faster. Possibly creating Denial of Service conditions. Potentially they need to put in a few more QAMs (wasting bandwidth), or segment the nodes so there's less people on each narrowcast.

Response time will not be as good. Think VOD style response. 3-6 second delays between button presses. Maybe cable systems using cheapo poor Motorola boxes will see a regular performance increase during normal TV and guide usage. Motorola DVR's perform horribly and freeze compared to their Non DVR counterparts. Cablevision is entirely SA/Cisco though, so they didn't have that problem to begin with.

Content providers may limit what you can and can't fast forward. I can't see 30 second skip being available, and even if it is, the command delay will make it not worth it. What about going back a few seconds after resuming normal play mode from FF, like a Tivo does to help correct delay time?

Not only transport controls, but show retention could be limited. What if a network says that you can only keep a show for a week tops. Your on a vacation for a week, and when you come home you have none of your shows because they fell behind the retention schedule. Too bad.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

said by cypherstream:

Not only transport controls, but show retention could be limited. What if a network says that you can only keep a show for a week tops. Your on a vacation for a week, and when you come home you have none of your shows because they fell behind the retention schedule. Too bad.
A couple quick things:

Networks can already flag content and providers can already can delete content as they wish.. it's already been done a few times.

Second, the supreme court already ruled that the content flag was unlawful. Technically, they aren't supposed to be doing it. There was an article I posed on this the other day. This was banned in 2005... (I know they do it now, but I don't think it will be going on much longer.. )

I really don't think the network DVR will have a deletion/retention schedule.. just my opinion.