fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to JSY

Premium Member

to JSY

Re: Lukewarm

I don't know what to say to you that hasn't already been said. I could reply with a 10 paragraph message to explain it in various ways, but the bottom line is 1) you don't know - and it's true what I said.. there is much of this that can already be done. 2) Making money is not necessarily a bad thing. To say "I want it provided free" is not going to fly. NOTHING is free even if it's "Free"... I mean, come one.. Free VOD.. right? People have have already stated that it's not free...

I honestly don't have the energy to go up against someone who, right off the bat, is knocking everything down so negatively with out having any facts to base their statements on.. it's just impossible.

I will say this.. if cable is just so bad.. then why in the world do you have or subscribe to the service? If you know in advance they are so bad - then why do business with them..

I remain to say that cable is a luxury, not a right.

ReVeLaTeD
Premium Member
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA

ReVeLaTeD

Premium Member

Come on now. I don't disagree with anything you said. In fact I think they're very good ideas and if I had my way, you'd be running Cox Communications.

All I'm saying is, you know as well as everyone on this board that what you're pitching is too consumer friendly, and the cable companies will do everything in their power to charge you for everything, even that which is not logical.

I'm not calling them "evil" and I don't demand "free". If you read my initial post, all I said was I don't like network DVR because of limitations that the cable companies would likely employ to fatten their pocket. I don't like paying a fee to record TV, no. But that's because it's silly. I could theoretically output video to my computer and record it for free, so why should a DVR be any different? It's not a logical charge.

Going network just exacerbates the problem, because then you take away the box (read: rental fee), you take away the cost of delivery beyond standard broadcasting, and you take away the troubleshooting. So what's left to be charged?

Don't misunderstand my post as an attack. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I like your ideas; I just know that big cable wouldn't even entertain the notion of making it an easy and convenient service. Look at CableCARDs.