spc
uniqs

Tori
@comcast.net

Tori to Alcohol

Anon

to Alcohol

Re: how to tell if an ip address is fake

This is the deal. Maybe "talking" wasn't the right word. Emailing back and forth for 8 weeks, not including IM'ing. Says he's in one country, and some of the IP addresses show that to be the case, but they have also shown my hometown, and recently have shown the state where my EX went to on vacation. I'm very concerned about this because of his mental state, pending divorce, kids, and his pretending to be somebody he is not. I just want to know for sure if it is him, and he's gone so far as to hide or fake his address.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut

Premium Member

It's called using a proxy. Instead of the user's actual IP address, they connect using a server that routes their traffic via a different IP address. There are many, many proxies available, both paid and free.

IMO, if the communications seem like your X, then you probably should assume it is. Especially if there are "complications".

Tori
@arcor-ip.net

1 recommendation

Tori to Tori

Anon

to Tori
The sender of an email can spoof a source address, but the real one can be easily determined by examining the headers. However, the "real" address could be a TOR exit node or other proxy.

Don't open them except to view the email source. DO that by right clicking the email, click PROPERTIES, VIEW MESSAGE SOURCE. That way you don't trigger any tracking bugs in the email. Also don't respond. Harassers live on responses. Save the emails. You may need them if you need to file harrassment or threat reports.