Search similar:

uniqs

VR38DETT
Turbocharger X2
join:2002-10-24
Vancouver, BC

VR38DETT

[Tech] Smudge on camera lens

What do you all use to clean smudges off your camera lenses? I've accidentally put a small smudge on the lens of my Canon Powershot A640. I would like to get the smudge off the lens of course, but I am completely paranoid about putting scratches on the lens itself in the process.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: Smudge on camera lens

lenspen

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT
An old (clean) t-shirt sprayed with windex will do just fine. You're going to have to try hard to scratch the glass. Just don't push too hard or you can break the zoom mechanism.

leXicon5
Pelosi, SHUT YOUR Fing Pie Hole
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Saint Louis, MO

leXicon5 to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT
These work great...get into the extreme edges of the lens....
»www.lenspen.com/403/377/

TheFerret
The Chesse Stands Alone
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
East York, ON

TheFerret to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT
T-shirt I am wearing, if smudges still there then a lens cloth...

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

Locutus65 to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

An old (clean) t-shirt sprayed with windex will do just fine. You're going to have to try hard to scratch the glass. Just don't push too hard or you can break the zoom mechanism.
I know that you never use Windex (or any other cleaner that contains ammonia) on TVs or computer monitors as it will eventually strip the glare coating off... don't camera lenses (at least some) have a coating that may be damaged by harsh chemicals also?

Personally I'd recommend Endust for Electronics. It's safe for all electronics including screens and also has the advantage of adding an anti-static coating to help keep dust off. You can get it at Walmart etc.

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci

Premium Member

Eye glass spray cleaner like the type you get at Lens Crafters. Also they sell the pre-moisten wipes which are even better.

VR38DETT
Turbocharger X2
join:2002-10-24
Vancouver, BC

VR38DETT

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am a bit confused though. What constitutes as a micro-fibre cloth? Would a chamois-type cloth work?

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

Locutus65

Premium Member

Micro Fiber will actually be marked as such. Scotch makes some available at most department stores.
Wiki: Microfiber products used for consumer cleaning are generally constructed from split conjugated fibers of polyester and polyamide. Microfiber used for commercial cleaning products also include many products constructed of 100% polyester microfiber. Fabrics made with microfibers are exceptionally soft and hold their shape well. When high quality microfiber is combined with the right knitting process, it creates an extremely effective cleaning material. This material can hold up to seven times its weight in water. They are also used for some cleaning applications, because of their exceptional ability to absorb oils.

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT
Never had a bad smudge but a little humidity from my breath and lens tissues always worked fine for me.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to VR38DETT

Premium Member

to VR38DETT
Modern lenses are quite scratch resistant. They have coatings for both optical reasons and to make them scratch resistant. Whether it's a shirt or lenspen, just make sure there isn't anything abrasive around like sand.

I've got one lens that the lenspen doesn't seem to work well on but traditional lens paper and liquid seem to work fine. It must have something to do with the coating.