spc
uniqs

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections

I have my torrent upload speed set at 15kb/s.

I thought upload was the speed you alloted to seeding. Is there any other benefit to using a higher upload speed? Does it improve your download speed?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by TRU:

That should work for alleviating surfing issues.
I thought upload was the speed you alloted to seeding. Is there any other benefit to using a higher upload speed? Does it improve your download speed?
I have never noticed any improvement in download speed with higher upload; but I have only used public trackers, and I suspect that any benefit would only apply to private trackers.

My nominal DSL upload is 512kbps, but there is a 15% overhead, so actual speed is closer to 425kbps. AT&T does not "overprovision", as some other ISPs do. Because of my nominal UL, uTorrent pegs my max upload at 43kB/s. By rough calculation, I estimate that it is closer to 39kB/s. Because saturating the upload bandwidth has an adverse affect on other Internet activity, it is usually advisable to throttle upload instead of running at the maximum. However, most of the adverse effects are due to packet contention. Delaying outbound ACK packets, which happens on a saturated upload, slows web surfing, and the like.

My modem, as I have stated, reportedly prioritizes outbound ACK packets, over other outbound packets, which would also alleviate the effects of upload congestion. And, in addition, my D-Link DIR-655 has some kind of QoS algorithm. The result is that I don't suffer the ill effects of upload saturation as severely as would be the case with no QoS of any kind.

Other than completing the unity ratio expected of BT P2P faster, I can't think of any reason for faster upload. I think funchords See Profile has suggested that, even for DSL connections, which are better able to handle P2P bandwidth demand, that throttling back is "kinder" to the network. While the 29kB/s that I am using is probably a killer on a cable plant, it doesn't seem so hard on DSL. However, if funchords See Profile were to suggest that I should cut back to 66% (26kB/s), instead of my current 75% (29kB/s), I'd do it. As a member of a larger community, I should minimize any adverse impact my activity would have on other members of the community.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to TRU

MVM

to TRU
said by TRU:

Yes. The BitTorrent is a tit-for-tat protocol that links the best sharers (uploaders) together for the fastest transfers. If you're only running 1 torrent at a time, 15 KB/s is plenty. I wouldn't run more than 2 torrents at a time on a Comcast connection, and with 2 torrents you'd want to set your upload limit to around 30 KB/s (explanation: it works out to 3 slots per upload, 5 KB/s per slot). During prime-time, I would (and did) run only 1 torrent at 15 KB/s.
abcstore
See Store For Details
Premium Member
join:2001-12-21
Richmond, VA

1 edit

abcstore to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by TRU:

That should work for alleviating surfing issues.
Having upload set to 28_k_bit on a 8/2Mbit pipe kills the whole thing almost completely. No ping, no DNS, no surfing.

ABC

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

funchords

MVM

said by abcstore:

Having upload set to 28_k_bit on a 8/2Mbit pipe kills the whole thing almost completely. No ping, no DNS, no surfing.
Are you working through a router? If so, try disabling DHT in your P2P client and close it. Reset your router (power off and on), wait for a few moments, then restart your bittorrent client.

If that helps, your router cannot handle the high number of connections that DHT creates. Turning DHT off shouldn't affect you badly, as DHT's main purpose is to function as a backup tracker.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to abcstore

MVM

to abcstore
said by abcstore:

I've only got 3/0.5 Mb/s, but letting the upload run at 39 kB/s (yes, that's Bytes!) does not hurt DNS, or surfing. Ping only suffers slightly. The worst effect is on streaming video (gets very choppy).

It helps that the router (D-Link DIR-655) does QoS, and the DSL modem (SpeedStream 4100) performs ACK packet prioritization.

P.S. I normally run the upload throttled back to 29 kB/s.