dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16

All it takes is ONE inconsiderate person...

"However, international testing of in-flight cell phone use indicates that a certain on-board etiquette naturally develops when people use cell phones in the air. People speak in low tones and keep their phones on vibrate so they don’t disturb others on the flight."

Perhaps their testing is flawed because their observations are that the MAJORITY of people are considerate, but all it takes is one person in 200 to be inconsiderate and you'll have one on your plane. Considering I've been in more than one movie theatre where people have not only been trying to talk over the movie, but have actually answered their cellphones and tried to have a conversation over the movie, I think inconsiderate people are alot more common than 1/200.

All it takes is one fight in mid-air to be averted for the ban to be worth it. I'm just glad plane tickets are so expensive, since it keeps the majority of Gangsta Bling Bling Teens (of any race) from getting on the plane, and they're the ones who seem to talk loud during movies.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

2 edits

ISurfTooMuch

It won't be teens doing it. It'll be the "executive" who thinks he's more important than everyone else on the plane.

But you're right. All it will take is one inconsiderate lout to ruin it for everyone else, and I guarantee that there will be at least one on every flight. They're the ones who stay on their phones even after the announcement has been made to turn them off. They're the ones who berate the flight attendant because the flight is running late when she has absolutely no control over it. Just let one of these jerks get their hands on a cell phone in midair, and I guarantee they won't care one bit how inconsiderate they are to the people around them. And if they've had a few drinks before a fellow passenger tells them to get off the phone, things could turn ugly.

And in response to those who wonder why cell phone use aggravates people when normal conversations don't, it's because people talking on them usually do so at a low yell, and they often aren't aware of or don't care about the comfort level of those around them.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman

MVM

said by ISurfTooMuch:

It won't be teens doing it. It'll be the "executive" who thinks he's more important than everyone else on the plane.

And if they've had a few drinks before a fellow passenger tells them to get off the phone, things could turn ugly.
I will be the one telling them to get off the phone. If they want to make it ugly, bring it I will tell him/her off, and if they don't like it, screw them, they are @$$holes anyways.

I am not against cell phones on planes, I am against people talking on them in planes. I would love to be able to text people while on the plane, other people don't have to listen to me and I can talk to people.

Personally, I would much rather them focus on broadband in-flight. Cell phones don't even work at that altitude, so the airlines would have to put in some repeater system in the plane, but I think they should keep that out and get a move on for the in-flight broadband. I would much rather pay for that, than some in-flight phone. Also, the inside of an airplane is not quiet, so people on the other end will have a hard time hearing you, even if you are yelling and making everyone else on the plane mad.

but hey, what do I know?