Glaice
Brutal Video Vault
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
North Babylon, NY

Glaice

Premium Member

HDMI cables for PS3

I am going to do some ahead planning when I upgrade my tube TV to an LCD widescreen so some games (Condemned 2: Bloodshot is formatted only for widescreen and it makes some of the smaller text like responses and evidence identification difficult to make out on my 4:3 TV)

On Monoprice, there are 22, 24, 26 and 28AWG HDMI cables and I don't know what to choose out of those 4. Any help would be appreciated on which one I should use.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

The numbers refer to the diameter (thickness) of the individual wires that run from pin-to-pin inside the cable. Larger wires (SMALLER number) will have less resistance (and less signal loss, all else like capacitance being equal), but over the length of the cable you'll probably use, it shouldn't matter. I'd look for one that had the best strain-relief on the ends, and maybe the most flexible one, as it can make it easier to run to have a 'limp' cable.
Are they all about the same price?

Glaice
Brutal Video Vault
Premium Member
North Babylon, NY

Glaice

Premium Member

22AWG Professional is the only one that doesn't come in 3 or 6 ft length which is the ones I am looking at

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· id=10231

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

1 edit

wings10

Premium Member

Just go over to Walmart or Target and pick up an HDMI cable. You should not have to spend more then $20.

Glaice
Brutal Video Vault
Premium Member
North Babylon, NY

Glaice

Premium Member

I'll probably just buy one of the 3-6 foot ones later.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
South Elgin, IL

wings10

Premium Member

Just came back from Walmart where they had HDMI cables for $10.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to Glaice

Premium Member

to Glaice
i bought a few $6-$7 HDMI cables from newegg. the picture looks fine when viewing BD movies on my 46" Aquos or playing Xbox 360 games. screw monster cable and their overpriced garbage.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
South Elgin, IL

wings10

Premium Member

said by quitaccount:

screw monster cable and their overpriced garbage.
Agree.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04 to Glaice

Premium Member

to Glaice
Seeing that, in my limited understanding, HDMI carries only digital signals, then a cable will either work perfectly or not at all, regardless of the gauge of the cable.

As drjim implies, the larger gauge cables are likely to matter only in longer distance applications.

So buy the cheapest, shortest cable that will suit your needs. Monoprice is supposed to have the best prices in any case, so there's nothing wrong with overspending a bit on a longer and/or higher grade cable to get some "overhead" for your current or future use...

-- B

tigrzeye
Royal Security Svcs.
Premium Member
join:2007-07-18
LehighValley

tigrzeye

Premium Member

I have purchased from Monoprice.com multiple times. No problems.

I have one of their 35' in wall rated HDMI cables, in conjunction with an HDMI wall plate and 3' HDMI cable feeding a 42" plasma from an HD cable box, and have no noticeable problems picture wise.

I also agree with other posters, with HDMI it either works or it doesn't and Monster brand HDMI cables are definitely overpriced and unnecessary. And so does CNet's experts.

»reviews.cnet.com/4520-11 ··· ?tag=nav

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to Glaice

Mod

to Glaice
I bought the cheapest HDMI cables from Monoprice (the $3.50 3ft model) and it works flawlessly. The larger gauge cables, like others have said before, are better if you're installing this into walls or running it over long distances.

When you order one cable, shipping is only about $2 extra via first-class mail and without tax too. They arrive within 3-5 days, depending how far you live from their shipping area of CA. They are a much better value than anything you'd find in the store.

Razzy2
join:2002-10-29

1 edit

Razzy2 to Glaice

to Glaice
I bought 4 cheapest ($5 each?) HDMI cables from monoprice a year ago. All still works perfect with 1080p - PS3/media box/DLP.