how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

Metro Wifi Network

I dont get what is causing these american wifi networks to fail. I had the opportunity to use the wifi network in downtown Toronto this past week and it was pretty cool. It cost me 10 bux for the day and I had good connection speeds all day and was more than capable of doing everything I needed.

There must be something very wrong with what you guys are doing south of the border.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I dunno, maybe not charging enough for the network, or offering too much for free\cheap? Or covering too large of an area compared to the benefit people would see...

But yeah, WiFi ain't a last-mile tech; citywide networks are expensive kludges. They *can* be made to work but it ain't too pretty.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Robrr

"It cost me 10 bux for the day "

That's probably why theirs works and the others fail.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2
reply to Robrr

We fail at everything because its all about money. If someone somewhere cant get rich enough, then they scrap the project.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

1 edit
reply to Robrr

said by Robrr:

There must be something very wrong with what you guys are doing south of the border.
I'm not big on Wireless, but it does have it's uses. Like you guys said, it's not a Last Mile Technology, so having realistic goals is very important. Some people feel WiFi is the Holy Grail, and everyone wants to jump on it. Without a clear Business Plan and a good Break Even Point, even if some of your customers are free, someone has to pay for it and that has to be clear and up front. When things like this fail it's obvious that no one had a plan or knew what they were doing.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Robrr

Yes there is something wrong.

Some governments think they can extort as much money out of muni wifi ventures as they can out of cable TV. It doesn't work that way. Cities think muni wifi is a way to double their welfare programs and help their liberal white guilt and a magic fix for slums and poverty. Sorry, if you want to do that, time to increase the city's income tax, not extort the money out of muni wifi ventures.