uniqs
share rss forum feed

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

$10 charge to cancel the $5.99 protection plan?

I noticed that there is a $5.99 month protection plan that was part of my DirecTv bill. I cancelled it the other day.

I looked today and they charge a $10 fee to cancel the plan that was tacked on when I started service? Kind of ridiculous.....

Digibits
Premium
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop
kudos:1

That is completely rediculous!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

This is silly. My wife pays the bills automatically so I don't view the statements. I pulled my order and I never ordered any protection plan. So now they are telling me to write a letter to dispute something I did not have on my initial order which I am looking at.

Good lord....

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through

join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA
reply to ptrowski

Seems like you should have been informed of the $10 charge when you cancelled the service.
--
Great success! High five!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by needforspeed59:

Seems like you should have been informed of the $10 charge when you cancelled the service.
That's what I thought, although it could have been buried in the fine print which I usually take the time to read.

The DTV rep told me it was offered to all new cusomters. The thing is I looked at my original order and it is not on my order that was emailed to me by DirecTv. The DTV rep said that it was not on the order. So I asked when would I have had it added to my account, which they stated it was on the committment form that I signed to have the service installed and I had an application for the plan, which I never filled out, etc. Then they said it was part of the committment form, to which I stated that was the form I had to sign to have the service installed to begin with. I asked them if I did not want to sign the committment form then I could not have DTV, and he said yes. So I said that if it is not something I placed with my order and could only be offered when the installer came, when did I have the chance to opt out? He said I would have to write a letter to the dispute department.

So...I have to write a letter to a dispute department to dispute a service I never ordered, was forced into getting, and now being charged alcancellation fee that is almost double the actual amount of the monthly service...
--
"A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

That $5.99 has save me a lot of $$$ in repair/alignment issues. I think that it is worth it.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

smokes14

join:2003-02-09
Madison, VA

said by Irish Shark:

That $5.99 has save me a lot of $$$ in repair/alignment issues. I think that it is worth it.
Not only saving money on not having to pay for the service call, should any receiver have to be replaced, you will be in another 2 year commitment starting on the replacement date.

Considering the fact that Directv is now insisting that some issues be resolved with a service call and/or receiver replacement, the monthly charge is worth it.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

There's been a LOT of confusion on this "replace receiver = new commitment" issue.

It appears to have happened in the past. There is new information that shows that DirecTV's policy is NOT to require a new/extended commitment for the replacement of a defective receiver. And they appear (key word!!) to have communicated it effectively and consistently to all levels of the Customer service organization.

ptrowski See Profile = if you don't want the Protection Plan - fight to get a credit and get rid of it.

What it covers (from memory - full details on the DirecTV website)
- no shipping charge for replacement of defective IRD ($19.95 per incident)
- no charge for service calls due to
> realigning or replacing a dish
> replacing defective cables, multiswitches

Effectively it's end-to-end coverage from dish to and through every receiver.

Some people like it - others don't see the need. YMMV

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Not only that, they setup my OTA twice. First time it was a crappy antenna. The second time it was a new (different) antenna.

Whenever I call D*, one of the first questions before scheduling a tech visit is "do you have the protection plan." Yes .. "Then there will be no service charge".

I had the HD DVR box go bad and they did not reset the clock on me.

Dish was remounted and aligned three times due to high winds.

--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

2 edits
reply to needforspeed59

said by needforspeed59:

Likely it is in the fine print somewheres now.... you want to know why.... because people would sign up for it when then needed it and could deal with a problem for a month before a claim.

Look back on the threads here MANY claims of that... sign up when you need it and then drop it.... don't think they didn't noticed that trend? (And it is basical term insdurance... NOT instant Guarantee.

Again the few that took atvantage screwing it up for the many.

Same thing with programing free to upgrade but $5 to downgrade... so multiple things you are going to change do it all at once... or it will be $5 per downgrade... but only $5 if you go from EVERYTHING to NOTHING all at once.

--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

I guess if it covers all of that it would be worth it. My biggest gripe is that they told me it was "offered to all new customers". By offered they mean automatically added to your account, and it will cost you to cancel.

I don't mind being offered something, but I should have a free opt out period.

Oh well!
--
"A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

waynemr

join:2002-01-28
Madison, WI

Check your State laws. In Wisconsin, such charges for opting out of automatic services is illegal. What do they call it... negative subscription or something like that. The same thing happened to me, and I had them reverse the $10 cancellation fee... after having to provide them with the WI law on the matter. For me, at least, there was nothing in any documentation that mentioned a fee for cancellation.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to ptrowski

They charge you for downgrading your program package as well.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

said by wings10:

That's what I was wondering about also. We have the 3 free months of the movie channels, which is nice but we won't need them. If I cancel that will I get charged? I sure hope not.

smokes14

Madison, VA
reply to wings10

You are only charged a downgrade IF you cancel within 30 days of adding.

ptrowski, you can cancel your free movies close to the end date of the three months. If you don't by that time and cancel a few days later, you are only charged a pro-rated amount for the days of service.

The $10.00 charge for canceling the protection plan was started around 06 and if for "administrative fees" the company that handles the plan. Unless you know exactly how to "fix" issues with cables/connectors and/or your dish, it is well worth the price and piece of mind.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

1 edit

said by smokes14:

Not anymore. There is a $5 fee for doing it at any time. They say it is a fee to update the account.

Surprised they wave the fee when you upgrade.

But they don't want people to add channels for a period of time and then dropping it. Like folk's did with HBO during The Sapranos and Sex in the City.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

smokes14

Madison, VA

1 edit

That is surprising. What you may be referring to is actually changing your package level. I have the HD/DVR Choice Plus pkg and I have been able to change movie channels without issues within the past month. Just added the Starz/Showtime 1/2 price, 3 month special without any issues and the CSR told me I would not be charged to cancel unless it was less than 30 days. No fee after the 3 months is over and I cancel. I have always been able to add/cancel movie channels without any fees involved. It is the 30 day period that matters.

This from the Directv website:

»directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conten···94582414

"1If you downgrade your Premium programming options within 30 days of adding a new service to your account, you may be subject to a $10 fee."

comp
Premium
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV
reply to wings10

said by wings10:

said by smokes14:

Not anymore. There is a $5 fee for doing it at any time. They say it is a fee to update the account.

Surprised they wave the fee when you upgrade.

But they don't want people to add channels for a period of time and then dropping it. Like folk's did with HBO during The Sapranos and Sex in the City.
I am nsot sure where that is coming from because my father just dropped HBO with no fee

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

DISH charges. Don't know about DTV.

Unless enough people complained and DISH stopped?
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

I am talking about DTV

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

said by wings10:

That's what I was wondering about also. We have the 3 free months of the movie channels, which is nice but we won't need them. If I cancel that will I get charged? I sure hope not.
If you cancel it before it becomes billed service it should not cost you.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

redblkjck
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Pasadena, MD
reply to ptrowski

I ordered that plan after going through customer no service telling me I would not be able to replace my HDDVR free if it broke (after 30 days) even when it's leased. With all the problems I was having the first 30 days, I got the plan. The service goes through some other company. Like an extended warranty plan. They did send me something in the mail, thought it was junk mail and almost through it out. There was some mention of a fee depending on when you canceled but I think it varied from other states.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

Thanks. I will check with the wife to see if something extra came in the mail.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to smokes14

said by smokes14:

said by Irish Shark:

Not only saving money on not having to pay for the service call, should any receiver have to be replaced, you will be in another 2 year commitment starting on the replacement date.

Considering the fact that Directv is now insisting that some issues be resolved with a service call and/or receiver replacement, the monthly charge is worth it.
So in essence their $57 tier isn't $57 is $63 since according to you this fee is a necessecity. That's BS.

smokes14

Madison, VA

said by 88615298:

said by smokes14:

said by Irish Shark:

So in essence their $57 tier isn't $57 is $63 since according to you this fee is a necessecity. That's BS.
Well no, it isn't BS. You can choose to have the protection plan or not. Without the protection plan you, the customer, will pay for any and all service calls and related work. You will pay s/h ($19.95) for any replacement receivers/remotes and your contract will be extended by 24 months. If you choose not to replace a broken receiver, you still will be charged the $4.99 add'l receiver monthly charge until you cancel it.

So, for me, yes I pay the monthly protection plan IN ADDITION to my programming choices which I think is a necessity for my usage. That is my decision, not Directv's.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3

I've said it once before - possibly in this same thread - and I'll say it again:

a replacement of a defective receiver does NOT extend/reset your commitment.

A new/additional receiver will reset the commitment.

smokes14

Madison, VA

said by dbmaven:

I've said it once before - possibly in this same thread - and I'll say it again:

When I recently (Feb 08) had a very old (2000 era) Hughes receiver go bad, first thing the CSR told me was that because I had the protection plan, I would not be charged s/h, nor would my contract be extended for the D11 they sent me as a replacement. Then she passed my call to the protection plan extension. So if Directv has changed its policy since then, I apologize for mis-informing the OP.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
reply to dbmaven

said by dbmaven:

A new/additional receiver will reset the commitment.
When I replaced a bad receiver it just cost me $14.99 for shipping.
--

comp
Premium
Evans City, PA

With Direct TV or Dish network?

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL

said by comp:

With Direct TV or Dish network?
With DISH.

When I had DirecTV I owned my own gear.
--