how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mkanet

join:2008-06-11
Vallejo, CA

[Speed] Which modem/firmware gets the best throughput 4 BLAST sp

I was told I can buy a cable modem and connect it the same day I order Internet for the first time. Which modem is the best one I can buy online or at a local retail store? Are there any respective tweaks or firmware upgrades to enhance or provide stable performance? Or, is it better to just lease the one they give me?

I think there's an FAQ about all the different modems, but I prefer to hear personal experiences or something that's highly recommended.

JahsDisciple
Living my life like it's golden
Premium
join:2007-07-07
Baltimore, MD
kudos:1

Re: [Speed] Which modem/firmware gets the best throughput 4 BLAS

motorolas or linksys brands are usually good. motorola sb5120 a pretty good choice. if you buy your own, it may be better than a 3 dollar rental fee. the only plus with comcast rentals is if something happens to the device, you can swap it.
--
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

mkanet

join:2008-06-11
Vallejo, CA
Thanks. It the sb5120 the one that Comcast leases out? Is the speed and reliability of the ones you buy any different than the one that's leased?

priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA
reply to mkanet
said by mkanet:

Are there any respective tweaks or firmware upgrades to enhance or provide stable performance? .
Comcast controls the firmware and there are no user configurable options on the modem.

Personally, I own my own Linksys. Get full PB speeds. It's been on line for a couple of years without any issues.

Note that Comcast is going to be moving to DOCSIS3 at some point. If you buy your own modem today, you may end up having to buy another one in a year or so.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by priller:

Note that Comcast is going to be moving to DOCSIS3 at some point. If you buy your own modem today, you may end up having to buy another one in a year or so.
That would be if they intend to immediately take advantage of the new spec, and if CC doesn't supply it with the new level of service, or they prefer to purchase one.

It is my understanding that 1.1 / 2.0 modems will remain compatible for X amount of time.

priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

1 edit
Oh, ABSOLUTELY. I did not intend to imply that the modem would become obsolete. But you would have to get a new modem (v3) to take advantage of DOCSIS v3 service levels ... when offered. Current DOCSIS v1 v2 modems are not upgradeable to v3.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

2 recommendations

said by priller:

Oh, ABSOLUTELY. I did not intend to imply that the modem would become obsolete.
No worries bud !