Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 edit

Extension Cord Recommendations for Portable Generator

I purchased this portable generator from Sears

»www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260···6+Garden

and will need to pick up some extension cables to use in the event of a power failure..Extension cords for refrigerator, computer and possible one window a/c.

For those of you with experience with portable generators, can you recommend an extension cord brand and type and where to purchase it from for generator use? I didn't have time to look at Sears when I picked the generator up yesterday due to being pressed for time.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

1 recommendation

according to the specs there is a 25ft cord that comes with it and it has a twist lock connector. personally i would go pick up a SMALL 6 breaker generator transfer and move my loads over to that. these panel i am talking about has a built in interlock so that ONLY generator OR commercial power can be used at one time. then you run your cable to the generator breaker and just plug up when needed.

if you won't need it often enough to do this, then get 10 or 12 guage cords. they ain't cheap, but better than frying the compressor inteh fridge or AC!

also, get some extra oil and keep it on hand. you need to chang ethe oil every 25 hours or run time or so. it would be a b!@#% if you burnt the motor up running it for several days straight! i keep 2 gallons for my generator, an OLD propane powered 5kw. after 24 hours of run the oil is burnt black.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Good info, thanks!...

Regarding the 6 breaker transfer switch is this in line with what you mean?

»www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0095598.html

Where I'm located the electric is extremely reliable so that is why I was thinking just extension cords...for that hurricane that we out here on the eastern end of long island are so over-due for.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
none

yeah, something like that. they have they MUCH cheaper on Ebay though!

balazone
60 billion
Premium
join:2002-04-01
Wheeling, WV
Reviews:
·Insight Communic..
reply to sailor

Remember, when using generator power most electronics don't like it. I would not worry about things like small radios but I would not run a PC, TV etc.. unless it was on a generator-compatible UPS. Most SOHO UPS's are not generator-compatible, you would need something like the Smart-UPS series from APC.

As for extension cords, buy commercial grade 10-12 gauge cords. I have used Yellow Jacket cords from Lowes and I like them.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to davidg

said by davidg:

if you won't need it often enough to do this, then get 10 or 12 guage cords. they ain't cheap, but better than frying the compressor inteh fridge or AC!

For you or for anyone reading this, will this be ok to use?

»www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/10···uct.html

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to davidg

I'll check eBay..thanks once again.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to balazone

said by balazone:

Remember, when using generator power most electronics don't like it. I would not worry about things like small radios but I would not run a PC, TV etc.. unless it was on a generator-compatible UPS. Most SOHO UPS's are not generator-compatible, you would need something like the Smart-UPS series from APC.

As for extension cords, buy commercial grade 10-12 gauge cords. I have used Yellow Jacket cords from Lowes and I like them.
Thanks!

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
none

1 edit
reply to sailor

yeah that will work, but what i usually do is run a regular 12g cord, then put a 15A multi outlet strip on the end. i plug my fridge direct to teh multi strip, then run smaller cords to other loads. MUCH cheaper that way.

lookign at the sears site that gen set is 120v only, am i reading that right? if it is 120/240v you want to make sure you balance the load. put teh fridge on 1 leg and the AC on the other. generators don't like unbalanced loads. if it is 120v only, then no issue there.
--

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Click for full size
from the owners manual I am reading

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Click for full size

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
none
reply to sailor

ok, then it was just the way i read it.

definitely if you are using it in teh 240 v mode you want to balance it out. keep in mind this not the number of things, but the amount of current per leg you are balancing. get it as close as you can, does not have to be exact.

for example, the genset i have used to be at one of our tower sites. we found out that it will surge and choke constantly if the loads are not within 5 amps or so of each other IF it was max load. the electrician that installed it had the outlets labeled wrong, and we ended up with 20A on one leg and 10 on the other. once we moved a couple thigns around it ran smooth as silk.
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to balazone

said by balazone:

I have used Yellow Jacket cords from Lowes and I like them.
Cords come in some great "candy" colors these days. Get ones that are different colors. It makes it easier to keep track of "what" is going "where". The ones that have "lit ends" are great.

Use 12 gauge minimum for sure...10 gauge if you can get them for long runs that feed loads that draw more current.

EDIT: Typos...
--
A is A

reply to sailor

you may want to consider putting one of these in.

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDQ6ZE

This allows you to run the refrigerator and what ever you need in place using existing wiring.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to davidg

Click for full size
said by davidg:

generators don't like unbalanced loads. if it is 120v only, then no issue there.
The reason being is the voltage regulator used in most portable generators only monitors one side of the 240 so if the non-monitored side is heavily loaded the regulator never sees the voltage drop and doesn't compensate for it.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to asadfwrtetrrt

said by asadfwrtetrrt :

you may want to consider putting one of these in.

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDQ6ZE

This allows you to run the refrigerator and what ever you need in place using existing wiring.
That is way, way over priced.

Wayne
--

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne
reply to sailor

What brand breaker panel do you have in your homeany spare slots? Many are convertable for use with a generator.

Wayne
--

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Splitpair:

What brand breaker panel do you have in your homeany spare slots? Many are convertable for use with a generator.

Wayne
Hope this helps.

Ken Peterson
Premium
join:2000-12-08
reply to sailor

I'd be tempted to use 100% synthetic motor oil in that as well as protection. (Penzoil Platinum) Not only will it give you easy starts in winter, but it has better protection for extreme conditions.

Of course, our winters in Long Island NY are not too cold, but synthetic sure makes a difference in the winter with my two cars!

Splitpair
Premium
Cow Towne

1 edit

said by Ken Peterson:

I'd be tempted to use 100% synthetic motor oil in that as well as protection.
After the loss of power here as a result of Katrina and running on generators for a total of 7 weeks 24/7 over two years between Katrina and Wilma I can tell ya using synthetic can allow one to push out oil changes on air cooled non-filtered engines to at least double or more. On a filtered engine at 400 hours I still had the tests coming back showing the oil while changing ph slightly was still holding it’s viscosity quite well and lubricating within limits.

Wayne
--

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to balazone

said by balazone:

Most SOHO UPS's are not generator-compatible, you would need something like the Smart-UPS series from APC.

APC's Smart-UPSes don't like portable generator power. I speak on that from experience with 4 of the buggers.

Thought about a line conditioner. But honestly, if the power is out in my neighborhood, so is the cable (and sometimes phone), and that basically makes the computers useless to me.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

1 edit

The cheaper the generator the "dirtier" the power.

I have run several APC's and MGE's off of everything from a honda EU 1000i/2000i to a trailer mounter cat diesel gen. with 0 problems.