CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to asak

Premium Member

to asak

Re: 3rd party voip on Comcast cable modem

What is this "3rd party solution"? Does it work differently then any ther VoIP service? What is the "device" you connected to it?
Have you bypassed the router?
asak
join:2007-08-22
Katy, TX

asak

said by CableTool:

What is this "3rd party solution"? Does it work differently then any ther VoIP service? What is the "device" you connected to it?
Have you bypassed the router?
I am no expert on this, to me it seems to be a normal voip device. It has an internet connection and 2 phone connections. Normally I just hook it up to internet and connect the phone and it works.

The actual device is a Linksys box, I will have to check the details on it when I get home.

I used this setup with my previous ISP so there shouldnt be any problems going through the router. I could try and connect it directly to the modem and see if that helps. It has an internal hub so I could place the voip device between the modem and the router, could be worth a try. Initially I didnt think that would be possible because the modem would only accept a device with a given mac address. I have later learned that you just need to reboot the modem for it to accept a new device.