spc
Search similar:

uniqs
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

4 edits

1 recommendation

amigo_boy

How to find (and change) which proxy you are using.

Click for full size
Screenshot A
Click for full size
Screenshot B
Introduction

Each time you start MagicJack it will connect to one of the numerous regional proxies which MagicJack uses. Usually you can assume which proxy you are connected to (I.e., if you're in Phoenix, then it's safe to assume you're using the Phoenix proxy). However, there may be times when you may want to:

• Confirm exactly which proxy MagicJack is using.
  • Force MagicJack to use a different proxy to determine whether a problem you are having is specific to the proxy you normally use. (Be sure to read the WARNING in the appropriate section below about doing this.).

The following sections describe how to do this.

Capture MagicJack traffic:

1. Download and install Wireshark from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
    2. Run Wireshark.
    3. Click the Wireshark menu item: Capture->Start.
  • Be sure your MagicJack device is disconnected from the USB port.
  • You may want to close other internet applications, like your web browser and Outlook email. They will generate captured lines in Wireshark, making harder to identify items associated with MagicJack.
    4. Connect the MagicJack to the USB port.
    5. Double-click the MagicJack icon on your desktop.
  • This is how I start MagicJack on my computer. It may automatically start for you. Or, you may have to go to your "drives" folder and click the MagicJack icon there.
  • You should see a lot of lines being captured in Wireshark.
    6. Initiate a call (just to get some more lines captured in Wireshark).
    7. Click the Wireshark menu item: Capture->Stop.

Finding the Proxy details:

1. Click the Wireshark menu item: Edit->Find Packet
  • Make sure "String" and "Packet list" are checked. And, "Case sensitive" is not checked.
    2. Type "proxy" in the Filter field, and click Find.
  • This should locate a line as shown in screenshot A, highlighted in dark blue. This is a DNS lookup, resolving the proxy name to an IP address. The host name (in this example, "proxy1.phoenix.talk4free.com") is the proxy being used. It resolved to 66.104.81.70 (as seen in the "standard query response" line which follows the DNS query).
  • Note: If you already added the proxy hostname (and IP address) to your hosts file (more about this in the next section), then you won't see this DNS query/response in the Wireshark output. Your system will resolve the hostname using the host file instead.
    3. Type "REGISTER" in the Filter field. and click Find.
  • This should locate a line as shown in screenshot B, highlighted in dark blue. This is the SIP command to register the proxy. The IP address of the proxy is in the "Destination" column.

Note: You can obtain the hostname for an IP address (or the IP address for a hostname) by using http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php. For example, if you know the hostname of the proxy, you can enter that hostname into the "Domain" field of that web page and query to get the IP address. If you only know the IP address (from the "REGISTER" line found in Wireshark), you can enter that into the "Domain" field and query to get the hostname.
  • Your computer probably has a command "nslookup" to do the same thing from the command line prompt.

Using a different proxy:

There is no way to tell MagicJack to use a different proxy. However, the way networking software works, it will always check the "hosts" file before calling to the DNS (to have the hostname resolved to an IP address). This means you can add a line to your "hosts" file, and tell MagicJack to resolve the proxy hostname to the IP address of a different proxy.

First, these are the known proxies (as of August 14, 2008):
    proxy1.Atlanta.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Austin.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Baltimore.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Boston.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Chicago.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Cleveland.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Columbus.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Dallas.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Denver.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Detroit.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Houston.talk4free.com
    proxy1.LasVegas.talk4free.com
    proxy1.LosAngeles.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Memphis.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Miami.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Minneapolis.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Nashville.talk4free.com
    proxy1.NewYork.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Newark.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Philadelphia.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Phoenix.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Pittsburgh.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Portland.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Sacramento.talk4free.com
    proxy1.SaltLakeCity.talk4free.com
    proxy1.SanDiego.talk4free.com
    proxy1.SanFrancisco.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Seattle.talk4free.com
    proxy1.StLouis.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Tampa.talk4free.com
    proxy1.Washington.talk4free.com
    (Note: This web page of YMAX locations seems to correspond to the above list. You use it as the most recent list of proxies, and create addresses like the above using the city names. http://www.ymaxcorp.com/locations.html).

Let's say you've discovered (using the previous two sections) MagicJack is using proxy1.Phoenix.talk4free.com. But, you suspect the proxy is having problems. You would like to see if the problem occurs using a different proxy (Los Angeles).

1. Using nslookup (as described in the previous section), get the IP address for proxy1.LosAngeles.talk4free.com. In this example we'll assume it resolved to 64.0.147.6.
    2. Edit the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and add this line:
    64.0.147.6 proxy1.Phoenix.talk4free.com
    This will assign the IP address of the Los Angeles proxy to the hostname of the Phoenix proxy. When MagicJack tries to resolve the Phoenix hostname to an IP address, it will get the Los Angeles address from here.

• Note: Use the IP address you found in step #1. The above is just an example.
  • WARNING: If you add a line to your hosts file, remove it when you're done testing(!!!). IP addresses change over time. If you leave this line in your hosts file, your MJ will stop working when (not if) MagicJack changes the IP address. It's always better to let DNS resolve hostnames. There are certain circumstances when it's necessary to use a hosts file. But, if you do, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to know how you're using hardcoded IP addresses, and to verify addresses if something stops working(!!!).

3. Save the file.
  • See the WARNING under Step #2.
    4. Reconnect MagicJack to the USB port. You should now be using the LosAngeles proxy.
  • You can verify this by using Wireshark again (described above). You shouldn't see the DNS line to resolve anything related to "proxy1" because the IP address should be resolved from the hosts file. But, you should see the "REGISTER" line. The proxy IP address is in the "Destination" column.
  • See the WARNING under Step #2.

4. See the WARNING under Step #2.

.....additions.....

===============
    References:
    1. This how-to originated from the Forum thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20945841-How-to-find-which-proxy-youre-using

• swanboy
    join:2001-01-22
    Hollywood, FL

1 edit

swanboy

I'd like to add that proxy1.miami.talk4free.com is also a known proxy. Great tutorial by the way.
    tb813
    join:2005-02-06
    USA

tb813

It seems that the list of YMAX locations on their web site:
    »www.ymaxcorp.com/locations.html
    corresponds to the list of MJ proxy servers. So maybe we can use the official YMAX list to monitor if any new proxies appear ...
    tracker33410
    join:2004-04-22
    Acworth, GA

tracker33410 to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
    Hey amigo_boy. Thanks for the great info. When I did the REGISTER search, it took me to newark. New Jersey is pretty far. Any ideas why? I am in South Florida - near Miami. I see Miami listed with a local IP from my router when I search for proxy, but not RESISTER. Am I doing this stuff correctly? The reason I am doing this, is because my MJ seems to be losing outbound audio. I am having to restart it and do test calls before making a real call. Anyone else seeing this issue? Thanks, tracker
    amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by tracker33410:

I see Miami listed with a local IP from my router when I search for proxy, but not RESISTER. Am I doing this stuff correctly?
    I think so. I haven't seen all the possible behavior of MJ. Can you map the Newark hostname (it seems to be using) to a different proxy's IP address using your hosts file? (Keeping in mind the warnings about maintaining such a remapping permanently).
    said by tracker33410:

I am having to restart it and do test calls before making a real call. Anyone else seeing this issue?
    I've had that problem. Sometimes the first call doesn't have audio. You can call 909-390-0003 with your MJ and it will repeat everything back to you. Gives you an idea if things are working without disturbing someone else.

Mark
    tracker33410
    Acworth, GA

1 edit

tracker33410

Funny thing. Windows Vista. Not sure why, but I couldn't edit and save the file. It's blank. I have nothing but the remarks in my host file. When I check REGISTER, it has MIAMI in the destination and Newark in the Info. Sounds like they have something re-routed to me since I don't have anything in my host file.
    tracker33410

tracker33410 to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
    Another thing. I just tried the # you gave me, and the MJ disappeared. I have to manually start it again. Weird.
    amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by tracker33410:

Another thing. I just tried the # you gave me, and the MJ disappeared. I have to manually start it again. Weird.
    I just tried the echo-back number. It worked fine. I'm using the PHX proxy.

I'm not familiar with Vista. Sorry. There should be a way to modify the hosts file.

Mark
    tracker33410
    Acworth, GA

tracker33410

Very strange. It's cutting my MJ off. I have to unplug it again.
    amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by tracker33410:

Very strange. It's cutting my MJ off. I have to unplug it again.
    I always thought this suggestion was overused (like, "reboot your system"), but I'd recommend using a powered USB hub. I've seen too many people describing flakey behavior that was cleared up by a powered hub.

Mark
    tracker33410
    Acworth, GA

tracker33410

I am using the port on my PC. No hub. Maybe something on the motherboard. Thanks. I had to make a local call, then the 909 # worked. I will reboot my system now.
    amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by tracker33410:

I am using the port on my PC. No hub. Maybe something on the motherboard. Thanks. I had to make a local call, then the 909 # worked. I will reboot my system now.
    I thought the powered hub thing was only a solution to using an unpowered hub. But, I've seen people say it made a difference even when they were using hubs directly on their computer. Apparently not all locally-attached USB ports are created equally.

Mark
    tracker33410
    Acworth, GA

tracker33410

Maybe Dan had someone look at my host, and register cuz it seems to be working fine now.
    Expand your moderator at work
    amigo_boy

1 edit

amigo_boy

Re: How to find (and change) which proxy you are using.

FYI. I'm updating how-to posts.

My instructions (the first post) aren't accurate any longer. Shortly after posting that, MagicJack changed how they connect the softphone to their servers. They don't use hostnames. They use IP addresses only. So, the screen shots aren't accurate. And, it's not possible to fake out the softphone using the host file to make the hostname to a different IP address.

The instructions and screenshots may be useful generally to find the IP address of the proxy1 and vms1 (when a call is placed) server. You'd be looking for the IP address associated with the SIP and RTP (protocol) lines.

Mark
    comanche1313
    join:2009-02-18

comanche1313 to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
    I changed the host file in the hosts file but magicjack still hits atlanta. Do I need to reboot the pc as well as restarting magicjack?
    amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by comanche1313:

I changed the host file in the hosts file but magicjack still hits atlanta. Do I need to reboot the pc as well as restarting magicjack?
    See the wiki how-to for finding and changing proxies. The host file hasn't worked for 6 months.

Mark