how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gettin Tired

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Dillz85

Re: NEWS - HD channels added to city of Chicago line-up

I'm in Crestwood and still no new HD channels! I am getting really tired of this from Comcast..Dish's Turbo HD is looking more and more attractive!!! They even advertise that you can add an external hard drive to two of their HD-DVR's. And all that Comcast says is we don't know if you will be treated the same as some of our other customers (City).

drchud

join:2006-01-18
Gettin Tired
Cresdtwood huh? You are really close to me (Mt. Greenwood). cant believe you didnt get the chans yet.

keithbart

join:2007-01-01
South Bend, IN
reply to Dillz85
I live in South Bend, IN and everytime Chicago would get new HD channels we would get them here. Not this time.
I think I have the same problem as some of the Chicago
suburbs that do not have the new channels. Lack of bandwidth
or to many analogs. I have heard the city of Chicago is all
digital. My area and the suburbs must not be.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

2 edits
said by keithbart:

I have heard the city of Chicago is all digital.
Not true - they still have analog limited basic (all OTA primary channels & a couple remaining analog cable ch's, like Weather, etc.) which IS all simulcasted in digital as well.

RichRuggiero

join:2008-07-24
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

I'm with Comcast in Chicago. Dishrich is right, we still offer analog basic service in the city. But the expanded basic tier is 100% digital (one of a handful of Comcast systems in the country, although upward of 20% of Comcast communities nationwide should be by year-end, with more to follow in '09). That's what allows us to launch these HD channels in the city first. I don't have a time frame I can share right now on adding these HD channels in the rest of the Chicago market or South Bend, but our plan is definitely to launch broadly these HD channels and more, plus much more HD On Demand.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
When the first 20-ish channels are analog and from 24-ish on up is digital, Comcast refers to this market as an "all digital" market. Until a court trumps franchise agreements, Comcast renegotiates all franchise agreements, or franchise agreements go away; this will be the case. The "lifeline" service of the first 20-ish channels is actually a utilitiy. It's price is regulated, it's service is regulated, it's quality is regulated; all by the franchise authority of your area. "All digital" is for the spectrum that is unregulated. In most towns, it's around channel 24 and above. Freeing up the analog space from 25 to 125 results in 30-50 extra QAM channels for most areas. The problem in doing this across the country is availability of rental boxes and the fact we're on the eve of tru2way. Chicago is currently a bandwidth expansion and reclaimation test bed. It's nice to watch, but most won't see a setup similar until 2010 and beyond.

keithbart

South Bend, IN
reply to RichRuggiero
said by RichRuggiero:

I'm with Comcast in Chicago. Dishrich is right, we still offer analog basic service in the city. But the expanded basic tier is 100% digital (one of a handful of Comcast systems in the country, although upward of 20% of Comcast communities nationwide should be by year-end, with more to follow in '09). That's what allows us to launch these HD channels in the city first. I don't have a time frame I can share right now on adding these HD channels in the rest of the Chicago market or South Bend, but our plan is definitely to launch broadly these HD channels and more, plus much more HD On Demand.
Ruggiero, Are you saying that Comcast has the room in my area to add the new HD channels but they are just waiting for a certain time to add them? Thanks.

RichRuggiero

join:2008-07-24
Schaumburg, IL
No...just that we do plan to add them but don't have a time frame we can share publicly.

koala1946

join:2008-09-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to Dillz85
I just talked to a Comcast rep who was in our neighborhood tonight going door to door asking about satisfaction of service etc.I mentioned about the fact about four weeks ago the city of Chicago got about 16 new HD channels and we (NW Indiana)didn't get them.He said there will be more channels added the end of this month and a lot more by the end of the year.Was he just blowing smoke or is it true?? Can anyone out there verify it? Thanks

keithbart

South Bend, IN
said by koala1946:

I just talked to a Comcast rep who was in our neighborhood tonight going door to door asking about satisfaction of service etc.I mentioned about the fact about four weeks ago the city of Chicago got about 16 new HD channels and we (NW Indiana)didn't get them.He said there will be more channels added the end of this month and a lot more by the end of the year.Was he just blowing smoke or is it true?? Can anyone out there verify it? Thanks
koala1946, Did the rep say your specific area would get the new channels? If so I should get them also.

Impatientwaiter

@nalco.com
reply to Dillz85
I hope that goes for all the Chicago suburbs. I'm sick of waiting and checking every day. Can someone please tell us, at least an approximate date.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Gettin Tired
DirecTV is better and there boxes have E-sata.

koala1946

join:2008-09-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to keithbart
Yes,he did say our area.

arnie2

join:2008-08-19
Plainfield, IL
reply to Impatientwaiter
I spoke to a rep yesterday, she didn't give me a lot of info, but I would be suprised if the outlying Chicago area's got the additional HD channels before the 1st quarter of '09.

It's that old bandwidth thing, they have to move channels from analog to digital to free up the bandwidth. Why it takes that long I have no idea.

keithbart

South Bend, IN
reply to Dillz85
According to a post on another forum Chicago should be getting more HD channels at the end of the month. Here
is a link. Scroll down to donn35.

»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···page=241

arnie2

join:2008-08-19
Plainfield, IL
When it comes to Comcast, I believe it, when I see it.

ChiSox08

@nalco.com
Still no new HD channels in the Chicago suburbs. It's the end of the month and the 15 channels are still not here. I've been waiting patiently but I might have to switch to DishNet.

wolves01
Premium
join:2002-11-21
Crystal Lake, IL
reply to Dillz85
I look at the DVR every morning to see if the red message light is on. Nothing yet

keithbart

South Bend, IN
reply to Dillz85
Dillz85 or Ruggiero, Have you heard anything new about
HD channel additions or analog migration for the Chicago
and NW Indiana area? Thanks in advance.

keithbart

South Bend, IN
reply to koala1946
said by koala1946:

koala1946, Looks like the rep was just blowing smoke. No new HD channels yet.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to arnie2
said by arnie2:

Why it takes that long I have no idea.
Anyone can pull the power plug from an analog modulator and take it out of the rack. That's not the issue. I think the problem is getting enough boxes handed out so that there's minimal to no customer interruption. Not only that but everything has to go through the FCC, the local franchise, and the channel itself.

keithbart

South Bend, IN
said by cypherstream:

said by arnie2:

Why it takes that long I have no idea.
Anyone can pull the power plug from an analog modulator and take it out of the rack. That's not the issue. I think the problem is getting enough boxes handed out so that there's minimal to no customer interruption. Not only that but everything has to go through the FCC, the local franchise, and the channel itself.
cypherstream, This is a good point. My local franchise
authority is the Indiana regulatory commission in Indianapolis. Does that mean Comcast has to ask for permission to do a analog migration in my area?
I hope not. The paperwork could take forever.