uniqs
share rss forum feed

hotty198

join:2003-06-26
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

4 edits

comcast issued a letter to me part 2

Started here ---> »comcast issued a letter to me part 1

Just wanted to clarify...It wasnt the "amount" I downloaded. It was "what" I downloaded. whats funny is this movie sucks anyway.
Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized
agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works
made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The
copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address
associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the
infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its
notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service
(or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement
of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy
and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to
Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Legal Response Center
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
650 Centerton Road
Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
Phone: (856) 317-7272
Fax: (856) 317-7319
E-mail: dmca@comcast.net

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy,
procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy
by clicking on the Terms of Service link at »www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Evidentiary Information:

Notice ID:
Recent Infringement Timestamp:
Infringed Work: Bad News Bears, The
Infringing FileName: Bad News Bears KLAXXON
Infringing FileSize: 1127028154
Protocol: BitTorrent

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

4 edits

Re: Another bandwidth limits abuse discussion

said by hotty198:

Just wanted to clarify...It wasnt the "amount" I downloaded. It was "what" I downloaded. whats funny is this movie sucks anyway.
This thread is discussing bandwidth limits, not RIAA/MPAA infringements.

Mod Note: This post was made while this topic was still in the bandwidth limits abuse thread. It has since been moved out and the topic here is copyright infringement. ~sorto'

hotty198

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

3 edits

sorry about that. I originally thought it was because the "amount" . and its really just borrowing because Im not even keeping this lame movie. I wanted the 1976 one not this load of turds.

So Im sorry to report I have no idea what my bandwidth limits are now. as I have not violated them...yet

This notice has me scared to death about being sued by the mpaa. I think Im going to leave the country tommorrow and live in a cave.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by hotty198:

sorry about that. I originally thought it was because the "amount" . and its really just borrowing because Im not even keeping this lame movie. I wanted the 1976 one not this load of turds.

So Im sorry to report I have no idea what my bandwidth limits are now. as I have not violated them...yet

This notice has me scared to death about being sued by the mpaa. I think Im going to leave the country tommorrow and live in a cave with the towel heads.
As for finding out what your bandwith limits are. Keep it under 150GB a month and police yourself.

Put this on your router to monitor all BW activity: »www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Put this on your computers to see what each is doing:
»www.dumeter.com/

or

»www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

The rest is up to you.

hotty198

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ok thankyou chris313 for that info. I will try it out. Im pretty sure I didnt touch 150GB/month or even come close.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to hotty198

Re: comcast issued a letter to me part 2

The Copyright Infringement Forum FAQ is linked in the forum navigation bar links. For reference, it is here ---> »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Has anyone received a warning from Comcast concerning infringement?
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

2 edits
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

said by hotty198:

This notice has me scared to death about being sued by the mpaa. I think Im going to leave the country tommorrow and live in a cave with the towel heads.
As for finding out what your bandwith limits are. Keep it under 150GB a month and police yourself.

Put this on your router to monitor all BW activity: »www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Put this on your computers to see what each is doing:
»www.dumeter.com/

or

»www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

The rest is up to you.
Copyright infringement is not theft, it is copyright infringement. Repeating this will not make it true.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

hotty198

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2 edits

im assuming when you say repeating "this" meaning saying its stealing right? infringment does not = theft

anybody ever get reported while running peer guardian and using a torrent application?

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO
reply to hotty198

If you download "stuff", be certain to enable encryption in your download client. If your client has no encryption capabilities, then get another client.

Encrypting your connection is NOT a guarantee. Encryption only makes it more difficult for anyone to know, absolutely, what you are downloading, or more importantly, uploading.

Q

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to hotty198

said by hotty198:

im assuming when you say repeating "this" meaning saying its stealing right? infringment does not = theft

anybody ever get reported while running peer guardian and using a torrent application?
Copyright infringement is distributing stuff without the copyright's owner permission.

Theft is taking from someone something depriving them of the usage of said object/money.

When you copy a song/movie, the original copy is still in the possesion of the owner. The only thing you deprived him of is the POTENTIAL of a sale.

Old argument.

Repeating that copying/downloading is "stealing" is a trick that draconian law proponents wish to make a civil offense into a criminal one, putting the enforcement on the government and the cost on all of us.

To see how stupid this is. You have a car that you bought. Someone passes by the street and drawns then makes an exact copy of it, then drives away in "his" copy.

Have you lost anything ? Has the original manufacturer of the car lost anything ?
--
Treason is a matter of dates

hotty198

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

1 edit

what about peer guardian? will this help at all? or do they(agents or whoever they are) have ways around peer guardian?

that comparison seems a little left field. but in actuality if someone patents a certain design you cant just go out and copy it right? not legally. even though they pretty much do. its a cut throat business world out there.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

1 edit

said by hotty198:

what about peer guardian? will this help at all? or do they(agents or whoever they are) have ways around peer guardian?

that comparison seems a little left field. but in actuality if someone patents a certain design you cant just go out and copy it right? not legally. even though they pretty much do. its a cut throat business world out there.
You absolutely can copy a patented design and experiment with it, that's what patents are for -- to advance scientific knowledge. But the patent assignees have certain exclusive rights to market their invention for the term of the patent.

And to answer your Peer Guardian question, I wouldn't do any P2P without it. It's a fact that Media Defender and Media Sentry and the like interfere with people who are completely authorized to distribute everything that they are transferring (just try it and look at your logs!). The IP ranges for anti-P2P are always a little bit behind the times, just like virus definition files are only as good as the last discovered virus. But you don't let that fact keep you from running AV software, do you?
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More fun, more features, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to hotty198

said by hotty198:

Yes.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to hotty198

said by hotty198:

"Peer Guardian" is a list of IP addresses suspect to be used by agents of the RIAA/MPAA in seeking out uploading peers. "Peer Guardian" has been know to offer both false positives (blocking IP addresses not being used by those agents) and false negatives (not blocking IP addresses used by those agents).

Yes, the agent have a way around "Peer Guardian". They get their own copy, find out which IP addresses are in the list, and stop using those IP addresses. They just sign up for services offering as yet unlisted IP addresses. It is a "Cat and Mouse" game. Your only hope to avoid infringement letters is to not infringe.
Copying is not, necessarily, infringement. I rip music CDs all of the time. What I do not do is make my folders of CD rips available for public download. Not even as a "read only broadcast". The most you can ever find out about my rips is what I am playing (using those slick IM plug-ins which announce the name of the song I am listening to).

The RIAA would like to make all rips illegal, but, AFAIK, using rips to transfer data to playable media, as long as I am not selling, or otherwise "making available" the tunes, is not unauthorized. Nobody can use my computer while I am away from it. So the only time my rips are actually "available" is where ever I have the hardware to play the media myself.

FWIW, I have downloaded the following copyrighted material which was not authorized:

A.D. Police, "The Ripper", 12 tracks.
Maison Ikkoku "Extra Tracks Vol. 1", 17 tracks.
Maison Ikkoku "Extra Tracks Vol. 2", 17 tracks.

All three are out of print. I scoured the Internet, and local shops, looking for these items. The copyright holders are Japanese companies, which have not seen fit to reprint them, that I can tell. I am not looking as hard for them as I was; but, when I find the CDs, I will buy them.

All other copyrighted songs I have downloaded from the Internet are paid for. I don't mean I have downloaded copies of CDs I already own; I rip those. I utilized an offer by a company to download 99 tunes free, in a thirty-day trial period, and exercised my privilege to cancel the service before the first bill was due.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to funchords

said by funchords:

But you don't let that fact keep you from running AV software, do you?
I don't run without AV, but I do run without PG. I am not downloading anything covered by RIAA/MPAA copyrights, anyway. What I do download is in an interesting "grey area". Techinically, a violation of copyright law; fansubbed anime has not been heavily policed by the Japanese copyright holders. Most fansubbers immediately honor takedown notices. While some titles are licensed for U.S. distribution almost right out of the gate, many take years of negotiating to acquire U.S. licensing rights.

Personally, if a show is licensed for U.S. distribution, I won't touch it. Rather, I will apply the $25 a month, or so, I save by using slow, cheap DSL over speedy, expensive cable HSI toward the purchase of the better shows from the likes of, "The Right Stuf International".
--
Norman
Expand your moderator at work

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
League City, TX
reply to hotty198

Use neighbors internet next time.

hotty198

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

1 edit

aka hacking the surfboard lol.

thanks guys for your help. so is peerguardian(or can you recommend better?) does more harm to downloads then good for protecting you from riaa mpaa?

has anyone got my kind of notice while using a torrent program with peerguardian 2?

Ill admit I was wide open. not encrypting my torrents, no peer guardian. never got a notice before. and Ive been using utorrent for about 3 years.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
reply to hotty198

Thanks for the clarification. Have you been contacted by the MPAA yet?