uniqs
share rss forum feed

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

What?

I'm one of AT&Ts biggest critics, but even I think this is ridiculous. The cities complain about not getting service, and then complain about the equipment that provides it? Now if they planted a VRAD in your front yard, that's a different story.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Also, why am I not surprised that the cities are opting for the free money option? If they truly cared about the looks of it, then they would only want the landscaping done.
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Hmm, yaknow that VRADs are there because AT&T chose VDSL as their upgrade path, versus ADSL2+ (qwest) or FTTH (Verizon). Note that neither Qwest nor Verizon have huge freakin' boxes in front of people's lawns.

I'll bet AT&T will pay for trying to build their network cheaply, in the form of whining, complaining and landscaping on these VRADs.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN
I do agree with you that they should've went with either ADSL2+ or FTTH (preferrably FTTH, since we already paid them for it 12 years ago).
--
My Music blog:
»www.zunetracks.net

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to iansltx
Click for full size
Qwest mini-DSLAM in Albany, Oregon.
Click for full size
Qwest mini-DSLAMs in Albany, Oregon.
said by iansltx:

Hmm, yaknow that VRADs are there because AT&T chose VDSL as their upgrade path, versus ADSL2+ (qwest) or FTTH (Verizon).
The VRADs are there because AT&T chose to deploy FTTN. The VRADs are the "N" in FTTN. Qwest ADSL2+ also relies on FTTN
Note that neither Qwest nor Verizon have huge freakin' boxes in front of people's lawns.
Qwest does not deploy those "ugly" boxes? Really? How do they get the ADSL2+ close enough to the customer (withing 5,000 feet) for their 20/12 speed tiers?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Easy: you don't get it close enough. I'm still stuck on 5 Mbit if I choose to do Qwest. And while I haven't been looking for the mini-DSLAMs it appears from your pictures that even they aren't near the size of AT&T's lawn fridges. I hate Qwest as much of the next guy, but 5000 feet > 3000 feet.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
Click for full size
AT&T VRAD (on the left; B-Box on the right).
said by iansltx:

Easy: you don't get it close enough. I'm still stuck on 5 Mbit if I choose to do Qwest.
AT&T wants to get Uverse past as many homes as possible. Their qualifying limit is about 3,128 feet, I believe. Basically, a VRAD next to every B-Box will be necessary.
And while I haven't been looking for the mini-DSLAMs it appears from your pictures that even they aren't near the size of AT&T's lawn fridges.
Sorry that I didn't have anybody to stand next to them; but I was there. They are at least as big as the one in this screen shot.
--
Norman

bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here
kudos:1
reply to iansltx
Man, you really don't know a thing about plant engineering.

Any form of active electronics require a cabinet rated for al weather use along with appropriate power and surge protection. Qwest indeed has these cabinets. As did BellSouth. Verizon has some too. But not as many and not as large.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Are you talking to me? Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that Qwest\VZ\BellSouth didn't have cabinets, just saying that alternate tehs, as you said, are fewer and smaller boxes.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
The Qwest boxes are not smaller than the AT&T VRADs. I've stood next to both.

Fewer boxes means longer distances. If you intend to put 80% of your customers within 3,128 feet of the DSLAMs, you will need more than a handful of these boxes.

AFAIK, Qwest does not intend to be half as aggressive as AT&T at deploying these boxes. So I expect that a lot of Qwest customers will be stuck with 3 MB service, or slower, despite ADSL2+.
--
Norman

iansltx

Austin, TX
Aaaaand...I'm stuck on 4.26...er...Up To 5 Mbit service here. They say hat they're rolling out stuff for faster connections in my area, but if the Comcrap guy comes today then I'll be long gone before they do so.