share rss forum feed

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium
join:2001-03-30
Buffalo, NY
reply to Kylemaul

Re: Bury these already!

I grant you these -are- large boxes, but $15K? One of us needs a reality check and it could be me.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

How big, and deep, do you suppose the hole needs to be? There has to be room for a tech to stand at the door on each side; or space enough for the racks, if you are just putting in a vault for the equipment racks. The tech has to have space to work. Permits from the city, etc., etc., etc.

$1,500 might buy them the permit...but excavation, and construction of the vault, and installation of environmental control equipment.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

We are thinking on two different paths...I was in the camp of "keep it simple" with m60521. And I'm assuming the environment control is for techs (not needed in the KIS scenario), as u/g is friendlier environment than above ground ever dreamt of being for the equip..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I expect that the electronics will generate a lot of heat, which will need venting.

My Internet search on 'm60521' is a mixed bag of ambiguous results.

Have you actually priced an excavation?

Looking at the VRADs on Castle Glen way, I expect that AT&T would have to dig a hole extending across the sidewalk to the fence, and to the edge of the pavement. The concrete for curb and sidewalk would have to come out, and then be replaced when the job is finished. Probably have to replace the fence, as well. And where will the access go? In the parking strip? I have no doubt that it can be done. I have serious doubts that it can be done for under $15,000.

As I said, $1500 will probably just cover the permits required by the city.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

How much do the permits cost to put them above ground? Same or less? As for venting, I don't think they would need very much if any. Conditions above ground are much hotter, and I haven't seen any significant vents in those. Underground is much cooler, even if the top surface is exposed.
Placement could be an interesting compromise: customers not wanting the "fridge" could possibly opt to place u/g further into their property line to avoid these (and hence avoid the expensive obstacles like sidewalks, etc?)