site

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
This is a sub-selection from World's Biggest Douche....

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to danclan

Re: World's Biggest Douche....

I think your very misinformed about the capacity of hfc. The docsis specs state about 270mbps can be done via docsis 3 . So that gives cable companies a lot of headroom for now. YEs eventuallly they will have to switch but by the time they have to they will have even more fiber run and will just have to replace the last mile.

Heck cisco has equipment now that can do both ftth and docsis 3. Cable companies are in a better position then you think.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by majortom1029:

I think your very misinformed about the capacity of hfc. The docsis specs state about 270mbps can be done via docsis 3 . So that gives cable companies a lot of headroom for now.
So long as each DOCSIS 3.0 customer has their own node. Once you place more than one customer on the node, you must share that 270mps and the average speed goes down. With FIOS, you have a DEDICATED connection to the CO and thus you get full "Last Mile" speeds and the choke point is in the CO which has a much larger pipe to share with the customers/users (ie: You do not get slowed down by someone who is sharing your node's bandwidth.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
Also this is what i am getting with optimum online boost.

So when cablevision goes docsis 3 i think up 270 (wont reach that for a while) cablevision atleast would compete pretty well with fios and they have been up till this point.

Verizons network needed an upgrade more then cables network does. The cable companies will be able to compete with fios. Offer similiar speeds at a cheaper price.Yes they will eventually go all fiber but it will be easier for the cable companies to do that.