uniqs
Dandemon
join:2006-04-05
Australia

Dandemon to SmurfLurf

to SmurfLurf

Re: New zyxel router? Yup new router link in post

Correct.

Unfortunately the NBG-460N (or x-550n) isn't being sold into Australia.

I ended up going for the Dlink DIR-855. This is the latest from the same OEM as the x-550/P-336M - Streamengine, same kind of firmware and web setup, etc. It was very familiar right out of the box, but I was disappointed not being able to go back to a "real" Zyxel product.

The real questions around the new X-550N variants are how much grunt the router processor has, and how well MBM v2 compares to Streamengine. The Ubicom chipset (which includes Streamengine) is a VERY hard act to follow.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy

Does the X-550 802.11g use ubicom and real StreamEngine?
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon

Yes, the x-550, P-336M and NBG-415 are the Zyxel models with Streamengine chipsets. The x-550 had the 3XXX chipset. The later NBG-415 may have used the 5XXX chipset, which is substantially more powerful.

These routers were all OEM manufactured for Zyxel by the same company that makes Dlink and Trendnet's Streamengine routers. They differ very little - casing, aerials and LAN standard basically.

The x-550N is Zyxel's own chipset and firmware. I gather the firmware will be a classy act, but the chips? Who knows.
U1496E
join:2008-12-18
Nashville, TN

1 edit

U1496E to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Well I just ordered a new X-550N from provantage.com. It will replace my old Linksys WRT54G running dd-wrt firmware. I wanted a good 802.11N based router at a good price, and at $66.33 (with rebate) I couldn't pass it up.

This is the first ZyXEL product I've ordered since buying their U-1496E modem back in the early 90s. That was a darn good modem back then, and would do an unheard of 16.8 kbps! At the time 14.4 was the big standard, unless you bought a 19.2 Telebit Trailblazer for A LOT of money.

I hope ZyXEL has retained its quality. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do when it comes in.
network01
join:2008-12-18

network01 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Here we have a quick review of the new ZyXEL NBG-460N. It is a strong devices which has 400Mhz CPU and 32MB RAM.
»en.network01.net/modules ··· &forum=2

And we tested its FTP WAN-LAN performance be able to get over 500Mb/s !! Thats very cool. However, the original article is in Chinese. May be you can use google translate
»tw.network01.net/modules ··· &forum=2

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to U1496E

Premium Member

to U1496E
U1496E, any feedback you can provide on this model would be great!!

husky55
Long Island Sound
Premium Member
join:2005-03-25
Madison, CT

1 edit

husky55 to Dandemon

Premium Member

to Dandemon
So if I understand correctly the X-550N and the NBG-460N are the same router but for some reason have different name?

SmurfLurf
join:2007-12-18
Whittier, CA

SmurfLurf

Supposedly they changed the NBG to X550N in the US so that it's a replacement for the original X550.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
Its not the first time products in the consumer line-up have had different names. Strictly marketing reasons.
If you look at the US site and look at the write-up on the X-550N, you will see references to NBG460N. (sloppy editing).
Check under 802.11n Technology at the bottom of the page.

»www.us.zyxel.com/Product ··· A2008013

SmurfLurf
join:2007-12-18
Whittier, CA

SmurfLurf

Agreed Anav!
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

1 edit

Bytezboy to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Does StreamEngine "learn" and adjust its settings automatically through time?
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon

No, it's a standard algorithm. It's got no way of seeking your feedback on what kind of job it's doing. Feel free to pay it compliments, however

The new Zyxel routers do NOT have Streamengine. They have Zyxel's Media Bandwidth Management (MBM). I don't know how it compares, but I do know that nothing can turn a bad internet connection into a good one. Never underestimate the processing power of the router too - it might do well at sorting out different kinds of data, but if it does so like a snail it's not going to help you.

One reason the x-550 (p-336M internationally) did so well for so long was that it had a good strong chipset that was probably overpowered back in 2005/6. It's arguably still fine for most home connections. The x-550N doesn't even come from the same OEM, but it has the same idea. Its processing capacity also seems nice and roomy if you don't want to change routers for a few years.
pronix
join:2006-02-25
Sedley, VA

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
I just put an order in for this router, I hope its a good one.

I'm currenty using the trendnet tew-633gr wireless n router, which is based off the dlink wireless n router.

I like this router but it gives me way to many wireless errors in the stats, and it gets pretty hot to the touc.

so i hope this zyxel router solves my problem, I do keep reading good things about them.
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon

Pronix, I do hope you let us know how it goes for you. I too went and got a D-Link router - no heat issues because it (unlike the Trendnet) actually has a heat sink!

If you're able to see what the power supply volts/amps are, I'd really appreciate it. If I can find a compatible plug pack I might get one shipped here to Oz. Or if that power supply happens to be international voltage... so much the better!

Cheers.
pronix
Sedley, VA

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
will do! I can't wait for it.
pronix

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Ok, I've got it yesterday didnt have much of a chance to play with it til today, first thing I noticed was that it is not as user friendly compared to the trendnet.

Spite the lack of user friendliness, it still has every option the trendnet has and then some.

At first a had a slight issue with the wireless concerning the security, but I fixed that.

I'm still learning this device so pardon if I miss something.

I still havnt found the DMZ yet. I noticed the wireless signal is more stable now, whichis a plus.

The Voltage on the power plug is: 18 VDC 1.0A

I'm sure I have more to come unless someone wants to ask questions.
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon

You might find that it doesn't have a DMZ. I set up another Zyxel router for a friend recently, and it's also based on Zynos. It didn't have DMZ either but it has a 'default server' setting that sends IP packets to a given node unless you specify another in the port forwarding settings.

You make an interesting comment about the friendliness of the firmware. The Dlink 855 I use has similar firmware to your Trendnet - the main difference is corporate colours really. Having used both, I think it's mostly a "getting used to it" issue. At the I tend to focus on what features each one has rather than how they're implemented.

About that plug pack... thanks for that info, but can you also please tell me what input voltage it has? It might say either 110V, or 110-230V, or 90-260V, for example.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to pronix

Premium Member

to pronix
What do you mean by DMZ. What functions were you going to carry out?
pronix
Sedley, VA

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
The input voltage on the plug is 100-240v.

I was going to put my Airave on DMZ, but so far it's working without it.

I'm liking the router, much more stable than my trendnet, also trying to figure all the options it has and understand them.
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

What do you mean by DMZ. What functions were you going to carry out?
DMZ = demilitarized zone. A cute term for putting one router client (often a gaming device) completely outside of the firewall and exposed to the internet on the 'real' IP address, with all ports open.

The majority of routers have this (although it's not a great idea). Zyxel's default server is a safer version but it doesn't truly allow unfettered inbound access - if that's what you really want. Port triggering is also absent on most (all?) Zynos based models.

What you get in return is, arguably, a router hardware/software combination that does what it does very well. There's some nice stuff in Zynos too, like the CPU load monitoring and bandwidth management monitoring, that you won't get in Dlinks or Trendnets.
Dandemon

Dandemon to pronix

to pronix
said by pronix:

The input voltage on the plug is 100-240v.
Bingo. It'll work internationally, with a plug adapter. Thank you Pronix

answers
@pacbell.net

answers to majortom1029

Anon

to majortom1029
Here is a link to a X550N demo.
'http://www.zyxeltech.de/previews/nbg460n360amx0_en/rpSys.html'
pronix
Sedley, VA

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Just an update, my initial issues with the wireless were due to the reauthenticate timer, it was set to 0, which means as soon as a wireless user went idle, it would keep them connected, so all i did was put 1800 seconds for the timer and all is well now.

Also, my family are reporting better ping times in online games and surfing speed on the net.

Everything is just running so smoothly, i feel i don't need to keep checking up on it as much as i was on the trendnet.
pronix

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
An update.

System Up Time : 170:17:02
WAN receive packets: 30509593

This has been a great router so far!
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon

Nice to see, Pronix. You're on the way. We sometimes get Zywall users boasting 2+ years of continuous uptime, using the same base operating system that's in your router, so the heritage is promising.

Hazeleyze
join:2003-05-09
Wauseon, OH

Hazeleyze to majortom1029

to majortom1029
I have been thinking about getting this router to replace a Linksys WRT54G which has seen its better days.

I need a new network adapter and notice that the NWD-370N adapter is the one they recommend for this router but it doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

Would there be any performance issues using the NWD-210N USB adapter or the NWD-310N PC adapter with this router on a desktop computer with XP SP3?

Thanks
Dandemon
Australia

Dandemon

I doubt there'd be any major issue with any of the usual brands of 802.11n adapters. They might work slightly better if they have an Atheros chipset (the same as the radio inside the Zyxel router).
csayers
join:2006-08-21
canada

csayers to majortom1029

to majortom1029
I just received and put into service an X550N. I am extremely happy as it has replaced 3 pieces of equipment.

It replaced a Zywall 2 Plus, Dlink DIR-655 acting as access point and Dlink Gigabit switch.

I needed a wireless VPN router with Gigabit and this X550N checks all the boxes.

The only problem I have found so far is the wireless signal dropping periodically. It can be fixed on my laptops by turning off wireless card and then back on. It seems there is some kind of registration setting that is timing out,

Anyone have experience with this router yet? P.S I also have a Zywall 2Plus for sale.
pronix
Sedley, VA

pronix to majortom1029

to majortom1029
csayers, go to 'Network' and then 'Wireless LAN' in the general tab, towards the bottom you'll see 'ReAuthentication Timer', you'll need to set that too a number, 60 is the min. number you can select.

From what I can tell is it's not reauthenticating because its set to 0, it needs some kind of number there to reauthenticate.

Hazeleyze
join:2003-05-09
Wauseon, OH

Hazeleyze to majortom1029

to majortom1029
I just got my X500N yesterday and I am also extremely happy with it. Setup was easy with the CD. It only runs a tad bit warmer than my WRT54G did.

Right now I'm running one computer wired and another computer on a WMP54G adapter while I'm waiting for the NWD310N adapter to arrive tomorrow.