spc
Search similar:

uniqs
asdfasdfasdf
join:2008-08-19
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

asdfasdfasdf

Clarify the tomato firmware for me please?

Can someone clarify to me what the tomato firmware is and what it does? It would be helpful if there is a tutorial with pics so I know exactly what I"m doing... Does the tomato firmware require hardware changes like soldering???

So WRT54GL works for sure but the WRT54GS/WRT54GX don't work with tomato? Also which version should I get of the WRT54GL...
Does futureshop/bestbuy sell the WRT54GL? Which adapters work best with WRT54GL?

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

»WRT54GL Deals $40 and up!

Think of Tomato as Windows XP Operating system and the WRT54GL has Windows Vista. We remove Vista Put XP so we can run MLPPP that will allow us to bind two connections and defeat the throttling.
asdfasdfasdf
Ottawa, ON

asdfasdfasdf

MLPPP is ??? But I only have 1 connection for DSL internet not 2. So with tomato and WRT54GL I can torrent/rapidshare?
recneps
Premium Member
join:2006-06-24
Whitby, ON

recneps

Premium Member

Think of the router as a computer.
It ships with windows vista. It doesn't do what we want.
So instead, we install linux, because its highly configurable and lets us do what we want (MLPPP).
There is no hardware change.
MLPPP can be used on a single link - it just changes the way the connection is formed/packets are sent.
It effectively stops throttling on the link because of this.
asdfasdfasdf
Ottawa, ON

asdfasdfasdf

So this way I can torrent/rapidshare HTTP whatever??? and the fastest speed you can get on WRT54GL with tomato on 5MP/S is??? does the WRT54GL only have 8 slots for peers?
recneps
Premium Member
join:2006-06-24
Whitby, ON

recneps

Premium Member

The GL has 4 wired slots and some very high number for wireless connections.
Yes, you can torrent/rapidshare/whatever.
But rapidshare's throttling is on their end, I believe. You can't do anything about it except sign up for one of their accounts. Torrents will be fine, though.
asdfasdfasdf
Ottawa, ON

asdfasdfasdf

So none of that only 8 peer crap from tomsnetworking? Do you know any store that will sell me the WRT54GL... bestbuy and futureshop don't have it... Which wifi adapter should I use for it if I don't want to wire?

ShadPTR
join:2008-01-23
Whitby, ON

2 edits

ShadPTR

said by asdfasdfasdf:

So none of that only 8 peer crap from tomsnetworking? Do you know any store that will sell me the WRT54GL... bestbuy and futureshop don't have it... Which wifi adapter should I use for it if I don't want to wire?
Check the link posted by TilhasBB above.

Infonec.com is one place. There are others.
Any non-Wireless N adapter for your pc will work with the WRT54GL. (ie. 802.11b/g adapters work)
asdfasdfasdf
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

asdfasdfasdf

Til's post had nothing to do with how many peers slots you can get with the WRT54GL... btw how old is the WRT54GL cause if its like 1 or 2 yrs old I might not get it it is too old... I dunno please answer.

DavidT8
She turned me into a newt
join:2006-09-01
Oakville, ON

DavidT8

said by asdfasdfasdf:

Til's post had nothing to do with how many peers slots you can get with the WRT54GL... btw how old is the WRT54GL cause if its like 1 or 2 yrs old I might not get it it is too old... I dunno please answer.
The WRT54GL came out in 2005, but is without a doubt still the best 802.11g router you can get.
asdfasdfasdf
Ottawa, ON

asdfasdfasdf

is there a wifi n router that has linux on it?

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb

Premium Member

said by asdfasdfasdf:

is there a wifi n router that has linux on it?
Yes, but not that's supported by Tomato/MLPPP. The WRT54GL is special in that it has a huge community around it. Even with all the new N routers I still think that's the best router and recommend it to everyone.