All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
evev
join:2008-08-21

evev

Thinking of registering and really confused

In a way my situation is fairly straight-forward: I want to subscribe to a DSL plan and lack a phone line (and wish to avoid buying a phone line).

I call Sonic.net sales and a gent named William tells me I need a "Measured Rate Phone". I'm guessing Sonic.net fails to offer dryloop DSL? I would prefer to avoid paying for any kind of phone line period - is "Measured Rate Phone" the cheapest option that I have? Might anyone have a suggestion for a carrier? Will this "Metro Plan" from AT&T do the trick? »swot.sbc.com/swot/telcoP ··· ferId=96

My other question was regarding dynamic vs. static IPs. My main concern is whether I'll be able to host online games with a dynamic IP. What I'm talking about is starting a game on (for example) Battle.net or Steam servers and having other people join instead of running a dedicated server on a separate machine from which you yourself can't play. Will I be able to host games with a dynamic IP? I'm pretty sure the answer's "yes" but I'd hate to go through this ordeal only to find that I am unable to start any Warcraft 3 games.

Furthermore, I occasionally torrent Linux distros and those are can be really big. Does dynamic IP DSL torrent speeds suffer when compared to static IP (if at all)?

VOIP is a tertiary concern but I'm wondering if it'll be possible to use Skype with a dynamic IP.

To summarize my major concern is whether I have to add some kind of land line. Thanks in advance.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Right, AT&T doesn't offer a dry loop (they are the telco) so sonic.net (the ISP) cannot sell it to you. I think this is why sonic is becoming a clec (Dane usually chimes in about now...) so the lowest service level you can get for voice is Measured Rate...

Re static/dynamic... sounds to me like for your uses, dynamic would be fine.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Yup, that's one of the reasons.

We are beginning to offer standalone "dry loop" service in the North Bay market in the next week or two, with other markets to follow. It'll be some time before availability is widespread, but we see the demand.

-Dane
xan_user
join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA

xan_user

Keep us posted Dane, Id love to drop my land line and hopefully get pair bonded dsl. (or what ever its called)

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Pair bonded is a business product where multiple phone lines are used to deliver multiple DSL circuits which are merged into one larger link.

What you want is standalone or dry DSL - broadband without voice service.

Later, we'll be trying to convince you that you do want our voice service too, but no obligation either way.

-Dane