uniqs

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

areoh

CableOne SPAM eMails

Click for full size
Amazingly, I get tons of SPAM sent to my cableone email account... Every so often, I get the ol' "CableONE.net Detected Potential Junk Mail" email sent to my other address since I set the *.cableone.net acocunt to frd to my real account should someone send something to that address.

Strange that since I've NEVER used my cableone email account (for anything) that I get so much SPAM there, eh? I've never used the email address to sign up for anything; never given it out to anyone... and yet, we get all that SPAM in the in-box. What gives?

Does CableOne sell their customers' address to others? What are you thoughts? Do the rest of you get these spams from their unused cableone email accounts too?

I'm not too concerned; just curious.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer

I get lots of spam at two of my Cableone accounts, as they are my primary email accounts I use daily. (my 'special friends' Cableone email gets no spam) Once I turned the 'MySpam' on, however, I only see it in the 'MySpam' web page, not my inbox.

(You seem to be complaining CableOne filters Spam away from you, as that is your 'MySpam' page, NOT your inbox. If you never go to your 'MySpam' page again, it won't bother you.)

(Lets assume you have NEVER used that email address for anything, it is STILL your screenname here, plus the ISP you use here. So is very 'public')

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

areoh

Hi Jim

You're right regarding the user name... but, I've been receiving SPAM to this unused account for years... long before I was a member here. I just thought I'd bring it up now. Please know that I'm not complaining, I just find it interesting that an unused account can receive so much SPAM... out of literally no where. Please remember I do not receive ANY mail in my cableone inbox.

So, unless there's some fancy new SPAM spider I know nothing about, it's still quite odd I'd get the spam that I do to that particular account.

Is there a bot that will troll forums here and dig out my ISP info as well?

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms to areoh

to areoh
I believe it is a hit and miss type program. What they do is have a program setup where it starts with the letter a and work its way to 0 with @cableone.net at the end.