All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

[TW] earthlink vs roadrunner

I have Roadrunner lite but just recieved a $5.00 monthly increase so shopping around.
I came across Earthlink. As I understand it they use Time Warners existing lines in my neighborhood and charge $49.99/ month vs Earthlink at $41.95/month full rate after $29.95/month promotion.
I know Time Warner shares speed among the entire neighborhood and wanted to know if the Earthlink would be the same or would I be placed below Roadrunner customers as far as connection speeds.
Any input about Earthlink please.

Mediocrates

join:2008-05-27
Raleigh, NC
That has not been my experience. It's all the same. In fact tech support is TW. They only thing Earthlink does is billing. I even get my cable modem through TW, which I just replaced because TW has upgraded bandwidth past the point my old Surfboard SB4100 could keep up. I brought it in, they swapped it out for a 5101 for free and I 2x my bandwidth.

I imagine I could get slightly better terms if I bundled everything: phone, cable, net through TW but the differences are so slight they don't seem worth it.

Also I don't use any Earthlink services like their webmail, so if I drop them I don't care.

Thanks-I think I'm going to switch to Earthlink. Time Warner is also increasing standalone Roadrunner to $49.99/month-I called and they would not offer me anything to keep me as a customer.As far as I can see all that would change is my email address.

Homeless

join:2005-09-26
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to newbie28451
Other than the price difference, in my location (possibly others) RR has powerboost while EL does not. While it doesn't help that much, I would prefer to have it than not

asd12341a

@mindspring.com
reply to newbie28451
Didn't you watch any DTV commercial? Cable companies don't care about their customers.

Anyway, back to the topic. Switching Earthlink from RR make no different. TWC is still the one providing the service, the only thing different is you get an EL IP. And of course, free usenet. I don't think you get powerboost, but who care.

One thing about EL, their support suck ball. If the rating is 1 to 5, 5 being the best, I would give them -5. They are that bad. How the hell they have to take 30 minutes to research every questions. Top of that, it take an hour to reach someone. Add to the insult, they dropped you call.

said by newbie28451 :

Thanks-I think I'm going to switch to Earthlink. Time Warner is also increasing standalone Roadrunner to $49.99/month-I called and they would not offer me anything to keep me as a customer.As far as I can see all that would change is my email address.

eric777

@rr.com
reply to Homeless
I have TW cable internet. I too am looking at switching to earthlink, but not for better speed performance, but for reliability. Today, TW was mostly down for the day, and over the last few months, I've had about 5 down days.

My question is this: Earthlink sales tells me the difference is that they do the support. What I want to know is if I have earthlink, does my connection route differently?

Of the times I had no service, a few times were because of DNS problems (which I solved by choosing my own dns instead of letting my dhcp server provide me with the dns servers that the cable modem sets up).

Other times my cable modem simply wasn't able to connect to anything - and the lights indicated this.

Also, I have vonage, and most of the down time also brought down vonage, but not always.

Bottom line, I want more reliability, and I don't mind paying a little more (say, up to $60/mon - which was what I used to pay when it was comcast and more reliable).

So, if I switch to earthlink, will anything physical change so I could have better reliablity? Or would I simply go over all the same paths and merely have a different number to call when it stops working?

reply to asd12341a
I just received 7mbps Roadrunner for $29.95/month for a year, then $45.00/month-