uniqs

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Cost to install outlets

My friends and I are in an apartment this year and our rooms do not have cable jacks in them. We were told to deal directly with comcast. So we want to get 3 additional jacks installed.

Does comcast has a set fee to install outlets? I am considering DIY if its too expensive but something nice about having a professional do it. Not so much the work, but mainly the cutting/splicing cables is not as easy as cat5 cables.

Any ideas on cost for this?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

It depends on markets. I have seen in some markets, where it's $35 dollars per half hour to have outlets ran and fished.

In some other areas, it's $20-$30 dollars, set fee, to have them ran and fished.

You should call Comcast and inquire about the costs.
Phugg
join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA

Phugg to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
Key word = Apartment ...

In all marketss I have worked we COULD NOT modify apartments in any way shape or form.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to snipper_cr

Premium Member

to snipper_cr
and that means standard baseboard mounted cables which involves no fishes and usually is in the area of 15 to 20 dollars for the first outlet and 10 to 20 for each outlet after that.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

1 edit

cypherstream to snipper_cr

MVM

to snipper_cr
Various apartments around here they run the lines outside along the brick and come in right under windows. There's never an outlet, just a wire sticking out of a wall that you connect straight to the box/tv. I think it's in the $20-$30 range.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

We called our office and they have to check with the owners but another apartment around here has cable in extra rooms. Not sure if it was done by comcast (cause no face plate, just about a 20 foot long cable and a hole in the wall) or if they did it themselves.

Hopefully wont be too expensive then.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to snipper_cr

Premium Member

to snipper_cr
along the outside is the same as standard baseboard mounted. it just means no wall fishes are involved. most apartments dont allow the cable outside tho.
ak3883
join:2005-08-20
Marlton, NJ

ak3883 to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
It depends on the apartment. Where i live it's my responsibility, but most/all of the units have jacks in the bedroom. My building is newer so each unit has a spliter right after the tap, with one line going to the bedroom and one line going to the living/main room.

As part of my standard install($25) the tech was nice and installed a new outlet on the other side of the living room where i wanted the TV. Now it was easy since it "only" involved crawling up in the attic and splitting the line, running it over and down through the closet, since the closest was there he didn't bother fishing(fine with me, it's a freakin closet). No extra charge. I gave him a tip for crawling up in the hot attic and being cool about not charging me any more.

A lot of it depends if you get a cool tech or not.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr

Premium Member

Well we finally had a tech come out to replace a bad connector on the run into the apartment. I did some searching around and found the cable input in the ceiling. Turns out it was extremely easy to get cable to the extra rooms.

When the tech came out to fix the cable (needed a new end) I asked if he could cut the cable in the ceiling, put ends on and put a 3way splitter there, and I'd do the rest. He was gracious enough to do that and gave us his last 3way spliter in stock. I ran the wire through the ceiling and down the wall to the phone/ethernet jack. No one uses phones in our apartment when we have cells so I just popped the phone jack out, and ran the cable out through there. When we leave I'll take my cable out the wall and put the phone jack back in (all modular faceplates).
cferro
join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ

cferro

Where I live Comcast will not fish a cable in a wall. This service is listed on the pricing sheet, but an installer will not do the work.
I had a contractor do this work for me.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

its not a installers job to do custom wall fish installations. they have seperate techs that handle that part of it and to get him you need to request a custom tech. usually wall fishing is all that tech does. wall fishes cant be combined with install jobs. one job might take 15 minutes and the next might take three weeks.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to snipper_cr

to snipper_cr
To give you an idea, the pricing I am looking at says $17.60 per outlet on the first visit (initial install). For a separate visit, it is $27.10 per outlet.

Keep in mind this is probably different in every area, but I assume it is close.