Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Is there a DVD player that can play DVD from a USB Drive

I'm seeing allot of DVD players out there that have USB connections and that they can play music and jpeg's ect..

But does anyone know if there are players that can play DVD video from USB drives ?
--
It's all... part of the plan.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

well, if it is stored on a USB drive, it wouldn't be DVD video, would it?...do you mean something like mpeg4?
--
Best Marketplace Ever: »www.cbc.ca/marketplace/speed_bumps/

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Yeah it would be more like mpeg1/2/4, divx/xvid, and maybe h.264 if the player is high end enough.
--
,,!,,('-'),,!,,

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
reply to Stewy

This will probably cover everything:
»www.plextor.be/products/px-608cu···PX-608CU

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to dirtyjeffer

Well the question theoretically makes sense, since he means "DVD image" -- i.e.- the collection of .VOB, .IFO, etc. files on a DVD. The only DVD player I know of, though, that can play DVD images from other than DVD media is called a "computer". I'm guessing there's not much of a market for being able to do that on a standalone player via USB -- maybe AVI's and MPEG's, but not DVD images. The DVD specification really ties the format to the media. Just guessing though -- it certainly COULD be done.
--
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -- a corollary of Murphy's Law
"A dog is like a child who never grows old ... always there to love and be loved" -- Aaron Katcher

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Stewy

the reality is, your better off spending the cash for a player that can connect to a media center and putting the data on that.

The XBox360 is a decent one that now includes DivX.

I have to be honest though, in many ways the media center in PS3 is much better. the price is a killer though.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario
reply to Stewy

This one will play video from USB. (wmv and divx files)

»www.consumer.philips.com/consume···P5990-37
--
Through My Eyes

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

That's what I was guessing. But the question was about playing a DVD image.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

The manual I found didn't state it specifically so I didn't list that format in the previous post, but I am pretty sure the 5990 will play VOB's.

disclaimer: my expertise on the subject doesn't extend beyond my googling skills
--
Through My Eyes

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium
join:2005-05-28
Moncton, NB
reply to Devanchya

said by Devanchya:

The XBox360 is a decent one that now includes DivX.
The HD-DVD add-on drive that MS sold for the Xbox 360 make an excellent up-converting DVD player and can be found for under $50. It will work with a PC running XP if you don't have a 360.
--
Intel P4 2.8 800 fsb, Asus P4P800 w/1GB PC3200 DDR RAM, 512 MB GeForce 7600GT, SB Audigy Gamer, DVD-Rom/CD-R Burner & LG Duel layer DVD Burner, 320 & 120 GB Internal & 2x 250 & 3x 500 GB External hard drives & Samsung 226BW 22" LCD Monitor

Feets
Premium
join:2002-12-11
Hamilton, ON

said by mordin:

The HD-DVD add-on drive that MS sold for the Xbox 360 make an excellent up-converting DVD player and can be found for under $50.
The 360 itself will upconvert DVDs but only if you're connected via HDMI or VGA cable. It outputs 480p over component.

tyler00
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Pickering, ON
reply to Stewy

The question seems like it's for a DVD image, but it has to be for DIVX, XVID, etc.

It wouldn't even be significantly faster to put a DVD image onto a USB drive (which you would now be using 100% of a 4gb, 50% of 8gb, etc) than to just burn it to DVD and watch it.

And if it was for the fact that the computer didn't have a DVD burner it would be cheaper to buy a DVD burner and more universal to use than a DVD player that can play DVD image files from a usb stick.

I am trying to imagine what else a USB connector on a DVD player would be for? I imagine that a regular DVD player checks to read the DVD drive, so I wonder if a DVD player with USB drive would first check the DVD player and then check the USB drive for readable information.

On a tip from these forums I got a DVD player a year or two ago from Toys R Us for 30 bucks that played DIVX, XVID etc burned to a DVD but there was definitely not a USB port. I imagine that this sort of DVD player would be the type you need, but of course WITH a USB port.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium
join:2001-03-29
Canada
kudos:17
reply to Stewy

My JVC home theatre has a USB port and supports any USB device up to 4 GB. It supports DivX/XviD, wmp, jpegs, mp3, etc...

It will play any of the supported formats from the USB drive as well.

So I'll frequently dump a bunch of MP3's on a flash drive for a party and play it.

I can also throw on some movies if I don't want to waste the DVD's (or move my PC close to my TV).
--
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON

2 edits
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

well, if it is stored on a USB drive, it wouldn't be DVD video
here's why I was asking.

My present dvd player which is a Philips DVP5140 which plays anything I through at it is connected through component, this one doesn't have HDMI.

If I play a protected DVD through component the protections on the disk will prevent it from up-converting through my receiver but if it's un-protected the receiver will up-convert the media.

But my rips are 7-8Gig DL disks and I don't want to waste a DL disk everytime so I end up splitting them onto two 4.7Gig RW dvd's and since there's no DL-RW disks out It would only be logical to have a USB able player that would be able to play the DVD format so that I would be able to upconvert through my receiver. A 16Gig USB drive would hold two full DVD's.

Oh well, technology isn't there yet I guess.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Kalford

said by Kalford:

This one will play video from USB. (wmv and divx files)

»www.consumer.philips.com/consume···P5990-37
Had an earlier model to try it with, somehow it didn't see the USB stick, kinda of useless.

Haven't seen a x264 player yet.. one that plays the HD MKV files.

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

well, if it is stored on a USB drive, it wouldn't be DVD video, would it?...do you mean something like mpeg4?
DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter can rip a dvd to an hard drive... The dvd video files (mostly files with a vob extension) will reside in a VIDEO_TS folder...

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Stewy

said by Stewy:

said by dirtyjeffer:

well, if it is stored on a USB drive, it wouldn't be DVD video
here's why I was asking.

My present dvd player which is a Philips DVP5140 which plays anything I through at it is connected through component, this one doesn't have HDMI.

If I play a protected DVD through component the protections on the disk will prevent it from up-converting through my receiver but if it's un-protected the receiver will up-convert the media.

But my rips are 7-8Gig DL disks and I don't want to waste a DL disk everytime so I end up splitting them onto two 4.7Gig RW dvd's and since there's no DL-RW disks out It would only be logical to have a USB able player that would be able to play the DVD format so that I would be able to upconvert through my receiver. A 16Gig USB drive would hold two full DVD's.

Oh well, technology isn't there yet I guess.
Are you unproctecting via ripping (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, DVDClone, etc)?

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON

said by vue666:

Are you unproctecting via ripping (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, DVDClone, etc)?
said by vue666:

DVDShrink or DVD Decrypter can rip a dvd to an hard drive... The dvd video files (mostly files with a vob extension) will reside in a VIDEO_TS folder...
Yea I know all that, I want to play the original DVD-9 video_ts at %100 quality without the up-converting restrictions.

The problem is that my player is component not HDMI

There is a protection on the original DVD that will prevent up-converting through component. So if I play the original DVD it won't upconvert.

However when I rip a DVD-9 and recreate the video_ts folder without the protections it's always bigger than 4.7Gig and if I want to play %100 the original quality I will need to either have a DL disk which none are rewritable or split them onto two 4.7G RW's

A player with the ability to play video_ts on a 16Gig UBS drive would simplify things. I would be able to put two full DVD-9's on one single USB drive instead of 4 dvd-rw disks.
--

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Deadpool0

said by Deadpool0:

are you saying that you're able to play the video_ts folder from the USB drive ?

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium
Canada

said by Stewy:

said by Deadpool0:

are you saying that you're able to play the video_ts folder from the USB drive ?
Good question, it's the only thing I haven't tried. I'll try it out in a few mins...brb.
--
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium
Canada
reply to Stewy

Side note: The Samsung HT-WX70 Home Theatre supports MP3 players, USB flash drives, USB External HDD and digital cameras.

It does not say if it supports playing them with a DVD file structure though.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to Stewy

Looks to me like some of you guys are really confused on several different levels!

To begin with I don't think the Philips DVP5140 is even an upconverting player, from what I've seen -- at least it doesn't say it is in the specs.

Secondly, upconverting players usually will upconvert only through HDMI -- stupid, but that's the way it usually is (there are a few exceptions) -- and this has nothing to do with any "DVD protection".

Thirdly, "DVD protection" refers to CSS encryption of the VOB files so they can't be copied -- it has nothing to do with any restrictions on upconversion. No such restrictions are possible within the DVD standard.

Fourthly, restrictions on full-resolution play are only possible via the "ICT" flag in the HDCP content management protocol which can only be implemented on Blu-Ray HD disks.

In other words, putting your DVD image on a USB drive will achieve exactly nothing except avoid having to burn a DVD. Maybe that's all you're after but it nothing to do with anything being "upconverted". And I suspect it probably will not support DVD images on USB but it's always worth a shot. Playing individual VOB's may be possible since they are basically MPEG's, but that's not the same since there is no menu. no continuity, and there may be dozens of them for different types of content like extra features.
--
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -- a corollary of Murphy's Law
"A dog is like a child who never grows old ... always there to love and be loved" -- Aaron Katcher

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium
Canada
reply to Stewy

I just tested it out with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and it didn't work on my JVC player.

It's a few years old now though, so it's possible new models do support it.

Best way to find out would be to convert a short video file to DVD, put it on a USB flash drive and bring it to your local electronics store.
--

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

A query I made at www.videohelp.com for DVD players with USB support returned this list....

»www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVD···2=Search

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Stewy

if you also look at cloneDVD, there are many things you can rip out of a DVD in order to reduce it to a DVD5 or at the very least minimize the amount of reduction on the movie video.

Trailers, the 25 different subtitle tracks, and perhaps languages, directors commentary, FBI warnings, etc...

I'm not saying you will always get the reduction you want without compression, but you will be able to minimize it.

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

To begin with I don't think the Philips DVP5140 is even an upconverting player, from what I've seen -- at least it doesn't say it is in the specs.
Secondly, upconverting players usually will upconvert only through HDMI -- stupid, but that's the way it usually is (there are a few exceptions) -- and this has nothing to do with any "DVD protection".
No I never said that the DVD Player will upconvert, the Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver does all the upconversion.

This receiver will upconvert any feed through HDMI to 1080i and will play my blue ray at 1080p.

However the receiver will not upconvert non-HDMI DVD because of licensing agreements with CSS so if the receiver sees any CSS encryption through component it will not upconvert it and will play the DVD at 480p

If it doesn't see any CSS through component it will upconvert to 1080i and that's why I need to rip DVD's in order to play them with upconversion.

If I play the same CSS DVD on my Philips through component it will play at 480p but if I play the same DVD through my HDMI Blue Ray player it will play upconverted at 1080i

I prefer to use my DVD player to play DVD's.

said by elwoodblues:

if you also look at cloneDVD, there are many things you can rip out of a DVD in order to reduce it to a DVD5 or at the very least minimize the amount of reduction on the movie video.
I'm a proud registered user of DVDFab (for a year anyway) and even if I just rip the main movie at %100 it's always bigger. In the last 25 or so movies that I watched only 1 video_ts movie was able to fit on DVD-5 at %100 and it was "the pursuit of happyness"
--

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Stewy

I think I've found a solution and it's a beauty.

»www.sagetv.com/hd_extender.html?sageSub=tv

now how to get it in Canada.
--

Scoop18

join:2006-08-05
Ottawa, ON

said by Stewy:

I think I've found a solution and it's a beauty.

»www.sagetv.com/hd_extender.html?sageSub=tv

now how to get it in Canada.
I want one of those.

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON

keep in mind though that you can't use the USB yet but you can definitely stream your ripped vob's dvd's

I want one to but can't seem to find a canadian vendor, I don't really care about the PVR functions though.

Streaming everything from the server to HDMI is the way to go.

In the forums though some seem to be having minor problems with vob's.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
reply to Stewy

For that cost you can spend a bit more, get the XBox 360 and then stream from your computer network.