Search similar:

uniqs
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

[Seamonkey] Calendar Support Doomed

Probably no one cares about this but me and sivran, but Seamonkey is being iced out of at least one major project. It's this kind of thing that will doom the browser suite overall. Because few devs use the suite, and because for some reason some of them are "ignoring the trunk", the best browser is getting further abandoned.

The Achilles heel in trying to talk to Exchange servers from any Mozilla product is calendaring!

So I was trying to find out about Lightning/Calendar support and found this:

»weblogs.mozillazine.org/ ··· _fr.html
Will future releases of Lightning be made available for SeaMonkey as well?

No. Lightning support for SeaMonkey is currently experimental and there are known issues, which need to be resolved first. In addition, only Lightning builds from the trunk will work with SeaMonkey, but the developer focus is currently on the Mozilla 1.8 branch, as this is the code that the current Thunderbird release is based on. Lightning developer focus will only switch to what is now the trunk, once Thunderbird 3 is released. We expect the Thunderbird 3 release within the next 12-24 months.

Does this mean that SeaMonkey will only be a 2nd-class-citizen?

Yes, that is true. As the Lightning developers do not currently focus their efforts on the trunk and as no Lightning developers use SeaMonkey as their mail client, SeaMonkey will remain a 2nd-class-citizen until both of these facts change.
Original emphasis.

-- B

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

The writing was on the wall IMO once their flagship Mozilla was dropped for Fx and there are only so many 3rd Party devs around that feel like maintaining Seamonkey let alone Lightning and even extensions and themes are lagging for Seamonkey.

Even Fx has seen a big reduction in 3rd Party builds available in the last year now that the code tweaks have caught up to the Official Releases of Fx.

The last week Lightning for the Tb br has been having issues and I am still using a 2 week old br instead of the daily.

The Suites are doomed as you say due to lack of interest and even Opera has no calendar unless one uses a Widget and then it is only a basic calendar and no where neat Lightnings Capability.
B04
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28

B04

Premium Member

One possible savior (in getting the Mozillas to synch properly with Exchange and other calendar servers) is Funambol or its predecessor sync4j. It's middleware primarily intended for mobile synching, but I suspect it can work for ordinary Mozilla purposes too.

»www.forge.funambol.org/download/

It's a bit confusing, but it seems the open source version of their self-authored Exchange connector 7.01 might only work with the older sync4j; yet there's a "community" maintained 6.5 version?

Mozilla plug-in at »mozilla-plugin.forge.fun ··· bol.org/ (no love for Seamonkey, of course )

I'm not quite there yet, but it sounds like the necessary pieces are around.

»www.forge.funambol.org/p ··· cts.html

This could work...?

-- B