how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gopcs

join:2005-11-16
Nashville, TN

Samsung TV chanes channels on Comcast

I need help. Bought a Samsung 19" TV for the kitchen, model LN19A450C1D. Within 30 minutes after going through Setup, the TV had changed channels by itself from HD 5.1 to 2.1 twice. I called the retailer, HH Gregg, and then called Samsung. Neither had heard of such a problem. I returned the TV to HH Gregg and exchanged it for another TV of the same make/model.

Now the second TV is doing the same thing. I have had it now for about 5 hours, and it has changed from HD channel 5.1 to 2.1 six times.

The HD service is Comcast. I am not using the STB. The cable TV service connects directly to the television set.

The remote is not being press accidentally. In fact, the batteries were removed form the remote, and the TV still changed channels by itself.

I placed the TV in another room, and attached rabbit ear antenna, then ran setup for over-the-air broadcast channels. It stayed on channel 5.1 HD all afternoon. When reconnected to Comcast and setup for cable channels, it changed from channel 5.1 to 2.1 in less than 30 minutes.

Any chance there is a signal from Comcast that may be causing this? I called Comcast, and they deny any responsibility. Any other ideas before I exchange this one for a different brand?

Thanks.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
maybe because cable maps subchannels to whole numbers not 5.1 or 2.1.

gopcs

Nashville, TN
reply to gopcs

Re: Samsung TV changes channels on Comcast

On the local Comcast network, the HD channels are entered as 1-2, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6.
1-5 is the local CBS station.
1-2 is the local ABC station.
The television always changes from 1-5 to 1-2, skipping over 1-4. When it is on any other channel, it stays there.
Thanks for the reply.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
what's on 1-4? is there actually video? maybe the signal is not strong enough for the tv's tuner, but the box can pick it up.

gopcs

Nashville, TN
reply to gopcs

Re: Samsung TV chanes channels on Comcast

Hi, yes, the local NBC affiliate is on channel 1-4. It has a good signal on HD via Comcast.

Thanks for the input.

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

3 edits
reply to gopcs
The only other thing to test and this is a long shot, is to cover the ir receiver on the TV. I know this sounds crazy, but I've had this happen when installing IR Repeaters and walking around the room noticing the IR Receiver was flashing as I did this.

But really, I think it's a signal issue as other's have posted. Samsungs have auto signal detection which I guess could freak the TV out if the signal drops below it's tolerance.

Also on the flip side, if there is a cable amplifier on the line maybe that could cause problems too?

gopcs

Nashville, TN

I didn't cover the ir receiver. I did move the TV to an upsairs room that has a very small window, set the TV on the floor away from the window and the remote control out of line-of-sight, and it changed from 1-5 to 1-2. There are no amplifiers her in the house. At one time, I had Comcast Internet service, and a cable modem that was on its own 2-way splitter. I put the TV on that splitter so it would have a signal that is 3dB stronger, and the TV changed again. Then I connected a 6dB attenuator to the TV thinking the signal is too strong, and it changed channels again. HH Gregg has been very accommodating. Talked with the salesman yesterday. If there is no resolution with Comcast, he will exchange the TV for another brand.
Thanks for the reply.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to gopcs

If you are talking about PSIP mapping, that is how the TV is catching that particular channel. If you are talking about Dolby Digital, nothing you can do, and can blame it on the TV.

Leakage Tech

@comcast.net
reply to gopcs
It is the TV switching itself using its internal tuner to latch on to the strongest signal at a given frequency near what the TV is labeling as 5.1 and 2.1. Remember that the Channels that you see on your TV or STB are just labels for a given frequency, channel 2 is frequency 58 mhz channel 4 is frequency 68 mhz etc etc. The over the air Channel of 5.1 and the over the cable line Channel of 2.1 must be real close to each other Frequency wise. Example: over the air channel TV channel 5.1 is Frequency 58 mhz, and over the cable TV channel is also 58 mhz or say 58.001 mhz. The TV is acting correctly according to its programing and showing you the channel with the strongest signal which would be 2.1 when it is hooked to a direct feed from a cable line within your home. Without actually seeing what the Frequency of Channel 2.1 is behind your TV I have no way to know if it is the same as Channel 5.1 but it sounds like it is.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to gopcs
Here is a listing of the OTA & OpenQAM channels in your area »www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/li···de=37203

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit
said by Greg_Z:

Here is a listing of the OTA & OpenQAM channels in your area »www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/li···de=37203
What the hell is Mojo doing in the clear like that on 87-1?

And why two VOD barker channels on 103-101 and 105-101?

Some headends never cease to amaze me.

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
This is what Springfield, IL shows on OpenQAM »www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/li···de=62707

fredmon66

@mindspring.com
reply to gopcs

I think Samsung has a firmware problem with their TVs. When you connect directly to cable without a box, the list of digital channel numbers will constantly change. This happened to me with Comcast in Houston. Each time the list of channels change, they are added back to the good channel list. The newer TVs have a firmware update that seems to mostly fix the problem. Older TVs do not have an update. I think the best solution with an old Samsung TV is to only program the analog channels and get the digital channels off the air. During programming, you can unplug the cable around channel 64, and all the digital channels will be skipped. Even with the new firmware, you can unplug the cable around channel 90 and get all the good digital cable stations.

pgoelz

join:2001-12-26
Rochester, MI
reply to gopcs

I had a similar problem with a new Magnavox TV. Turned out that in my case, the I/R port on my laptop was causing the TV to intermittently change channels. I had forgotten about the laptop port, and for a long time thought that there was a firmware bug in the TV. When I suspected the laptop I/R port, I confirmed that it was transmitting by looking at it with a digital camera.... you could clearly see the I/R emitter firing.

Disabling the I/R port in the laptop cured the problem.

The same applies to any other devices that have I/R ports, such as PDAs.

Paul
--
Paul Goelz, Rochester Hills, MI
Model Helicopter, music and astronomy pages:
http://pgoelz.com

gopcs

Nashville, TN
I think the mystery is solved. Seems Comcast does not send local channels in HD on regular cable service. The TV salesman said they did, as did the first CSR I spoke with at Comcast.

After having the same problem of channel 5.1 changing to 2.1 on 2 different TV sets, I called Comcast back. I spoke with a CSR and a Supervisor. Both told me that to receive any HD programming, a decoder box is required.

Seems the HD programming I was receiving without the decoder box was ingress to the cable network from the broadcast television transmitters. After installing a decoder box, the Samsung HD TV is stable.

Snoopy2
Premium
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
Guess things are different in Nashville. Recently purchased two Samsung LN19a350's from Newegg. Haven't had a minutes worth of problems. Plugging cable directly to tv gave me ALL of the local channels in HD. Channels here for ABC are: regular is channel 3, hd is 3.1, CBS channel is 5, hd is 5.1, NBC channel is 11, hd is 15.1, and FOX channel is 10 w/the hd channel being 110.1. Can really see the difference too. After a couple of weeks, got 1 dvr box so to pick up additional hd channels, TNT, TBS, HALLMARK, etc. After connecting the box, the HD channels ALL changed to 200 to 242. Am satisfied w/set and the PQ very much!
--
RM1 (USN-RET)