digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

Fuel Injector Flush - Is It Necessary?

Our 2007 Montana SV6 has its semi-annual service coming up next month and the dealer has recommended flushing the fuel injection system. Vehicle has 28,000 miles on it and is driven 6 days a week, 80% highway driving (50-70 mph)

It idles like a top, so smooth that I can't feel the engine running. I always buy gas at Esso (Exxon), occasionally at Shell.

Since the flush is not listed in the owner's manual as scheduled maintenance, I think it's a waste of money. What do you guys think?

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

The injection flush is a nice service, but probably not a necessity on a vehicle with only 28k on it and no complaints on performance or mileage. You are also correct that it is not a factory-recommended service. The factory only recommends fuel injection cleaning as part of resolving a misfire complaint where indicated by poor fuel flow rates at the injectors.

That's fancy verbiage for dirty injectors...

So, save your money on the flush service until you really need it.

-Matt

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1 to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
I agree that it's not worth it at this point, I've got a shade over 85,000 miles on my engine, the injectors have never been cleaned (not even gas additives) and it's running just fine with much better fuel economy than when it was new.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Our 2007 Montana SV6 has its semi-annual service coming up next month and the dealer has recommended flushing the fuel injection system. Vehicle has 28,000
[snip]
Since the flush is not listed in the owner's manual as scheduled maintenance, I think it's a waste of money. What do you guys think?
2007 is still a baby. When it has 80k to 120k it might need one then.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

How could someone know if a fuel injection cleaning service would be beneficial if there are no obvious problems with performance?

Can I just remove an injector and put it under a microscope, perchance? My engine is close to 221k, BTW.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

How could someone know if a fuel injection cleaning service would be beneficial if there are no obvious problems with performance?
There really wouldn't be a need for one. Only if you are seeing a drop in idle quality or rough idling or an economy decrease. Usually it is good preventative maintenance at 100K to 120K since it cleans the injector[s], the intake valves and the piston tops.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Well, "obvious" was a key word there.

Once upon a time (I-5 south to OR) I actually got 18+ mpg. Lately, I'm lucky to get over 17, though I normally drive east-west on I-90 and SR26, which for the most part is rather hilly in comparison to the mostly flat I-5. It could be the hills, engine wear, injectors, or I don't know what, but my mpg is slightly lower. (wires, plugs, d-cap, rotor were replaced recently)

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Can I just remove an injector and put it under a microscope, perchance? My engine is close to 221k, BTW.
Take them out and let this shop flow match them for you after cleaning them.

»www.witchhunter.com/inje ··· rv1.php4

More info:
»www.witchhunter.com/inje ··· aq1.php4

Regards,

Doctor Olds

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Interesting. I used to drive by quite often, and never knew it was there. I can take the bus, or weather permitting, just bicycle there. The cheapest injector (Rockauto) is a bit over $32, so a tad under $20 per injector (with tax) is still cheaper, though for 8 cylinders, that's still about 1.5 tank of gas.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
Fuel stations that use the proper detergent packages will usually mean that fuel injector cleanings are not necessary.

They are recommending a preventative maintenance service. I might do it on my car, but I don't generally charge myself.

Recently an I Series pickup presented with lean misfire codes. I won't bore you with the whole war story, but the injectors were clogged. The symptom was at first a fish-bite misfire, then the MIL illuminated with a P0171. There were no misfire counts, LTFT and STFT were implausible.

After farting around such as tech lines want one to, the injector rail was replaced along with 4 injectors. The likely cuplrit was crappy fuel, but it was covered by me nonetheless. 17,000 miles. another dealer performed a cleaning, as did we. Our cleaning delayed the onset of the inevitable code, but was still inadequate.

Incidentally, a brake fluid flush is probably not recommended, nor is a coolant flush. With Dexcool® in that system, I'd recommend a flush every 15 minutes. [G]

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

(wires, plugs, d-cap, rotor were replaced recently)
Say what???

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

distributor cap

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

You have a 2007 Pontiac SV6 with a distributor cap? Could have sworn that uses the 3.9L engine, and it uses distributorless ignition. I may be missing something though...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

That's the OP's car. I have a '95 Bronco.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

1 recommendation

rjackson to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
Here's another good shop for injector cleaning and flow matching: »www.cruzinperformance.com/

I'm about to dig out four Bosch injectors and have them done for my bus.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Thank you. Bookmarked with my other Fuel System links.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

That's the OP's car. I have a '95 Bronco.
Ahhhh...thank heaven, I thought I had lost it. (gotta quit staying up too late posting...)