Honey Brook, PA

1 edit

fios

alot of you will leave comcast i bet

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

A lot may, most won't. Most people don't come anywhere close to hitting 250GB/mo.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

said by Dogfather:

A lot may, most won't. Most people don't come anywhere close to hitting 250GB/mo.
I just recently updated my WRT54g router with Tomato firmware, and the bandwidth stats are interesting. I never would have thought that I qualified as a heavy user, and as of right now (with only a few days stats), I'm trending to use 150GB for a month. This doesn't include the streaming that I usually do either, so I'm sure that I'll exceed 200GB in no time.

edit:

I think that Comcast should specify up front that the CAPS will be adjusted upward on a regular basis, a la gmail storage space. The goal and understanding being that bandwidth needs, like storage, will INCREASE over time. So within 6 months, the CAPS will rise to 300GB. In 12 months, 375GB, 18 months 475GB, etc. Otherwise, this is a blatant money grab by Comcast.

If someone has bandwidth trend statistics showing how their use has increased over the past 24 months, please share.

cybercrimes

join:2003-12-24
Honey Brook, PA

they will see that the will lose a hell alot of customers
do to the caps not from the heavey users from people that stream video from netflix utube and so on

jimbo48

join:2000-11-17
Hayward, CA
reply to cybercrimes

FIOS may be here long after I have no use for the Internet due to the inept government that regulates - Competition is nil and that is the way big money intends it to stay. Comcasts'' services "might" offer" 6.0, 8.0 and "Whoa Nellie speed boost of up to 12 MB" the Eula phrase "up to" means absolutely no responsibility to deliver anything remotely approaching the performance levels advertised. One would be hard pressed to download 250 GB a month when the ability to download that much is curtailed by the download speed actually available. Legally sanctioned "bait and switch" services is the current ISP offerings program in the US. I sometimes dream of the reliability and quality of the good old POTS services applied to the Internet providers but that isn't going to happen here in California(SF Bay area) where I reside.

Rambling rant for sure -just have to chuckle about the 250 GB cap being implemented, a non-issue for the vast majority of Comcast customers(my area) because Comcast doesn't offer a service that "realistically" that would enable most users to approach that mark. And that is the way they intend to keep it.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to cybercrimes

What are you going to do with ATT and VZ put a cap in? Go to dial-up as well?

VZ had an official at their recent think tank regarding capping and from his point of view he is in favor of it.

The only people that are going to change providers are the people who are in that top 0.1% or people on here.

People on here need to get over themselves, companies do not revolve around you, they don't care what you think about their cap as long as they still keep their customers.

If you think you all can do better why not just go start your own ISP? Maybe wireless? I hear the FCC has some spectrum up for sale if you want to start out that way. Or hell go and start picking up the Muni networks that earthlink and Metro-fi are giving up.

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to morbo

said by morbo:

I think that Comcast should specify up front that the CAPS will be adjusted upward on a regular basis, a la gmail storage space. The goal and understanding being that bandwidth needs, like storage, will INCREASE over time....
I wouldn't hold your breath on that. I can see them possibly doing that, but only in terms of every couple of years... maybe.

the name of this game is "bandwidth scarcity"; they artificially create it with caps and throttling, so they don't have to worry about network upgrades.

my guess is increases in the cap would be accompanied by increases in the cost (bandwidth is scarce! if we're going to give you more of our scarce resource, we need to charge more!)

nooontime

@dtcc.edu
reply to cybercrimes

Fios isnt all the way here yet hopefully before october... and hopefully they wont follow comcast.

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium
join:2001-08-29
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

said by Dogfather:

I just recently updated my WRT54g router with Tomato firmware, and the bandwidth stats are interesting. I never would have thought that I qualified as a heavy user, and as of right now (with only a few days stats), I'm trending to use 150GB for a month. This doesn't include the streaming that I usually do either, so I'm sure that I'll exceed 200GB in no time.

edit:

I think that Comcast should specify up front that the CAPS will be adjusted upward on a regular basis, a la gmail storage space. The goal and understanding being that bandwidth needs, like storage, will INCREASE over time. So within 6 months, the CAPS will rise to 300GB. In 12 months, 375GB, 18 months 475GB, etc. Otherwise, this is a blatant money grab by Comcast.

If someone has bandwidth trend statistics showing how their use has increased over the past 24 months, please share.
GOOD
F'ING
LUCK

if anything these will trend downards toward a pay as you play rate structure as they bilk you more and more just like cell phones
--
www.stopfcc.comI do not think the government needs to restrict free speech especially on a device that has an off knob.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to cybercrimes

I think most power users that download over 250GB/month and have FiOS avaialble are probably already on it.
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to cybercrimes

said by cybercrimes:

they will see that the will lose a hell alot of customers
do to the caps not from the heavey users from people that stream video from netflix utube and so on
They'll cry a river as they lose all the customers that cost them the most money.. really.. they'll be crushed.

You just don't get it.. try to think about running your own business. If you had a customer that cost you more to keep that it would be to lose, would you keep them? If you were not making a good enough margin on them, would you bend over to keep them?

the group of customers you are talking about are dead weight. That's the simple truth. (everyone spare me the crap and deal in what is real, .. emotions mean nothing to me when it comes to the real world and business)

your post is based on a lot of opinion, and not fact. Where are all these "hell alot of customers" anyway...?

If you really need that much internet, and it's that important to you to push so much data, then you, yourself, should be able to see the value of what you have and the worth should be there.

let's assume and go ahead with what the conspiracy nuts want to spew.. let's say it's a cash grab.. lets say that this is ALL about making more money... all I can say is.. ".. and?" So what? if the line has that much "value" to you, then maybe it's actually worth more anyway, right?

Prices are based on what the market will pay and what it's "worth".. and so far, everyone on this site has demonstrated, ever time they rant and piss and moan about their connection, just about important their connections are to them.

try to flaw the logic.. I'm sorry, you can't.

The heavy users can go to dial up, start their ansi BBS systems again, and bitch about it with each other over a 53K line like years past while the rest of us continue on using the internet as always and not notice any difference.

peace.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

said by Dogfather:

I think that Comcast should specify up front that the CAPS will be adjusted upward on a regular basis, a la gmail storage space.
The problem with that is gmail does exactly what Comacst and the rest of the ISPs do.. they sell themselves beyond and above capacity. Gmail makes what they have look pretty because they know that not every user will use all f their space. Also, you watch, in the case of Gmail - eventually, they will start with the booting of inactive mail boxes sooner or later. It's only inevitable.

Things are always subject to change.

I can't say that comcast or any ISP will ever do what you suggest.. comcast is already over selling their bandwidth now - it's just the model of many things, internet included. (Connectivity, cell phones, Web servers, transfer, etc.)

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to jimbo48

said by jimbo48:

Rambling rant for sure -just have to chuckle about the 250 GB cap being implemented, a non-issue for the vast majority of Comcast customers(my area) because Comcast doesn't offer a service that "realistically" that would enable most users to approach that mark. And that is the way they intend to keep it.
You're right.. all the upgrades being done now, and in the future.. all the upgrades in the past did nothing to bring more your way..

Admit you're greedy, cheap, and you don't want to pay for the things that matter to you most in life.. instead, you want to buy toys, nick nacks, and bobbles that make your life appear to be more important, like new cell phones all the time, a car you probably don't need, more than one HD TV in your home, or MP3 players, like the latest iPod, eating out, etc.

But, when it comes to paying for things like the internet, something many demonstrate is soooo important to them, you want to pay the least, or not at all, and have the most possible and then some. .. just admit it and be honest about it so we can move on.

morbo

Reviews:
·Charter
reply to fiberguy

you seem to have completely missed my point. that being that gmail is constantly increasing their storage space. who cares if not everyone uses it. Comcast and any ISP that imposes CAPS should constantly adjust them upward since bandwidth grows naturally over time. else it is a blatant money grab by Comcast as it doesn't take into account the current nature of the internet.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

Please save your the opinions you have, that are fact less, for someone else. I don't hold conversations on myths. I DID get your post.. and what I'm telling you is that the "constant raising" of the caps, or limits, such as what google does is actually FAR worse what cocmast's over selling. All that theoretic limit on google is, really, is a gimmick. It's based on the amount that a % of high end users can store based on the over all use of the entire customer base calculated against their resources. The fact is that the entire base of Google customers could NOT use the current 7gb of storage.. they are also over selling.

Comcast actually can over sell their network like any other shared medium, INCLUDING DSL and FiOS. It's expected that not all users will use the internet at 100% all the time AND its assumed that a typical residential user has a typical pattern of use.

I'm sure, as to what you said, that the caps WILL rise. The speeds have, .. upgrades happen.. why wouldn't they?

The constant adjustment won't happen.. annual or periodic increases.. yes. Could they be system by system based? yes. But little bits at at time? .. it doesn't work that way here. The problem is geographical, at times, and they can't dowhat you are saying.

morbo

what the hell are you ranting about? i wasn't advocating constant adjusting, just periodic 6mo or 12 mon adjustments. re-read my posts.