Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Trinijoy
Premium
join:2005-09-12
Brick, NJ

Ummm...

Seriously if you are a heavy online gamer this will kill you, and if you like to stream HD movies online, LEGALLY this is really bad... bad... I could understand to stop pirates but this is just silly, do they want to lose a lot of customers?

dr3yec

join:2002-12-19

1 edit
I know if i got a letter that showed an overage charge. I would be gone in two seconds. So this does not sound promising for the stock holders of any isp. If this is the future. I would rather have NO net. Then be strapped to some overpriced pipe line. Just my 2 cents.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to Trinijoy
Gaming does not use tons of bandwidth - you aren't sending video when playing games.

Streaming HD Movies, *THIS* can add up.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
said by dadkins:

Gaming does not use tons of bandwidth - you aren't sending video when playing games.
Believe it or don't, Halo2 actually uses a asston of bandwidth. When I was in college, the family housing network had 5GB weekly caps. One week I got a warning letter from the IT dept saying I went over the cap. I was surprised because I usually used 1GB a week. I checked the usage log and my usage went thru the roof at night, precisely at the time when my wife and son went to bed and I fired up Halo2...

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Streaming HD Movies, *THIS* can add up.
Online game play doesn't use a lot of bandwidth, but some games feature the ability to download and upload content, which can.

For example Sony recently gave PS3 game developers the ability to upload videos to YouTube.

This in itself may not be a lot, but every little bit adds up (pun intended).

tiger9

join:2005-08-01
Ont,Canada
reply to badtrip
Damn straight. 10K/s symmetrical, you run through 5GB monthly bandwidth caps like hot knife through butter. Doesn't help that Halo 2 is highly addictive.

Dunno about weekly caps, though. You play much Halo 2?

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
Unfortunately, the amount of bandwidth Halo2 used meant I could no longer play it as long as I lived in UC Berkeley's family housing. By the time I graduated and moved oout, Halo2 was but a distant memory

Enochrewt

join:2006-07-22
Westminster, CO
reply to Trinijoy
What about people that like to run a server for games? Say like Team Fortress 2?

And people will start thinking about not downloading that game demo on Xbox Live or PSN. Most of them are ~1GB. Before it was kind of a no brainer, if you wondered if Too Human was going to actually be decent you grabbed it. Probably along with every other game demo that hit the consoles. Now a customer might have to pick and choose which demos they'll play, potentially hurting sales for Developers. This will have far-reaching impacts for many other businesses, not just for Comcast Customers.

Gaming probably won't make you hit the cap alone, but mix it in with music downloads, HD video streaming and everything else people do on an average basis just might. I know I come close to 250GB every month.

jsz0
Premium
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT

2 recommendations

reply to Trinijoy
As far as HD movies go... let's say the typical h264 movie is 5GB. (the type of quality offered by iTunes, Xbox Live MarketPlace, etc)

Let's say you use 50GB a month for other traffic.

200GB in streaming = 40 movies. More than a movie per day.

40 movies purchased from Xbox Live, PSN or iTunes = $250 a month for movies.

Even if you decided to pay for the additional bandwidth from Comcast to stream more movies the price would dwarf what you're spending on the movies themselves.

Enochrewt

join:2006-07-22
Westminster, CO
Sure if you only downloaded movies. But we already know that's not the only thing you do, you looked at this web page. You probably check your email, automatically download system updates (my virus scan just prompted me that there's a database update, ironic) watch YouTube videos,vimeo (soon to have an HD service) and a whole host of normal use.

Besides, who said anything about paying for movies on a per-movie basis? Netflix doesn't cost $250 a month.

Even if you won't hit the cap now, you'll move more data in a year, maybe two, it's the natural progression of things. Do you really trust Comcast to just up the cap to suit your needs? Didn't you sign up for your service under the promise of "Unlimited" high speed internet? Don't rationalize for Comcast when they're screwing you.

jsz0
Premium
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT

1 recommendation

reply to Trinijoy
NetFlix is SD. So say 700mb per movie. That's 285 movies a month assuming 50GB for other web/e-mail/etc.

No service is truly unlimited. Any adult should know that. If you goto a buffet and eat for 3 hours they will kick you out. If you goto a restaurant with free drink refills with a 5 gallon bucket they will kick you out. If you goto the grocery store and take free samples for 3 hours they will kick you out. (why don't grocery stores do that anymore? it was nice. haven't seen that here in at least 10 years or more. anyway...)

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to dr3yec
said by dr3yec:

I know if i got a letter that showed an overage charge. I would be gone in two seconds. So this does not sound promising for the stock holders of any isp. If this is the future. I would rather have NO net. Then be strapped to some overpriced pipe line. Just my 2 cents.
So where are you going to go? slow DSL? Satellite? cell phone internet?