spc
uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to badtrip

to badtrip

Re: Call Comcast now

Averaging 9GB per day here, due to backups and such. That number may go down with time, possibly crossing 250GB by the time the cap is instituted, but c'mon, 25 cents per GB for the first 250, then $1.50 per GB after that? If they cap I'm either going business class or downgrading to the lowest tier...probably downgrading. If I'm not able to download more (faster speeds AND higher caps) on the high-end plan, I think I'll keep $20 a month and get a 4 Mbit connection. If the caps are even lower on the 4 Mbit connection, I'll take a deep breath and go with either the wireless ISP here (not sure how that'll turn out) or try and grab my school's Wifi next door. I'm sure Qwest DSL would have even lower caps :/

Now is the time for competition; the 250GB per month limit on Comcast roughly equals $81 per megabit on a dedicated connection, and you can get high-volume internet for less than one-tenth that. Build wireless backhaul to the nearest Cogent POP and you're set.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by iansltx:

25 cents per GB for the first 250
Where are you getting that from?

Most people pay $42 a month which would be about 17 cents a GB. Those with Triple play, only pay $33 a month which is 13 cents a GB.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

I pay $62.95 a month (after $9.95 discount for the first 6 months) for 8/2 service. So yes, 25 cents per gig.
monkeyslew
join:2005-03-21
Littleton, CO

monkeyslew

Yep, I am paying nearly 63 dollars a month. Since I am paying more my cap should be like 400GB/month.