uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xela19115

join:2000-10-06
Richboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Per Byte Billing

Honestly I think the better model would have been to set a certain flat per byte rate and charge users for bandwidth used vs. speed and byte cap price plans. Something more in line with the way electricity is sold. I pay for kWh I use and electric company does not limit me how much I can use or how fast the electrons flow. I limit myself by making sure I do not leave lights on everywhere 24/7. That way the responsibility would be on a customer to manage his/her bandwidth usage.

The Internet providers, like Comcast, should give just provide the fastest possible connection technically possible and just charge per byte used. Heavy bandwidth users will pay more and some if not most will pay less. That way no one will subsidize others and nobody will have to be punished for a few bad apples.
--
xela19115

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Xela19115:

Honestly I think the better model would have been to set a certain flat per byte rate and charge users for bandwidth used vs. speed and byte cap price plans. Something more in line with the way electricity is sold. I pay for kWh I use and electric company does not limit me how much I can use or how fast the electrons flow. I limit myself by making sure I do not leave lights on everywhere 24/7. That way the responsibility would be on a customer to manage his/her bandwidth usage.

The Internet providers, like Comcast, should give just provide the fastest possible connection technically possible and just charge per byte used. Heavy bandwidth users will pay more and some if not most will pay less. That way no one will subsidize others and nobody will have to be punished for a few bad apples.
With electricity(around here) you play less per KWh after a certain amount.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

How about a low (768k or so...enough for YouTube and such) CIR and above that have a bucket of bandwidth that you could use up and then drop down to the lower speed? Profitable and makes sure you still have internet!

Also, pay-per-GB is fine with me...I'll pay it like my electric bill...$25 in minimum charges plus 5 cents per GB sound fine with you? Me too. They're paying about that much in fixed costs and that much in variabe costs...

SlackerX

join:2002-07-10
Esparto, CA
reply to Xela19115

The analogy to electricity would be better if electricity speed were limited. Like if you had to wait longer for a microwave to cook some food because your connection was slower.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Xela19115

If I have Pay Per Byte billing I want to be able to download atleast at 100 mbit, no less.

Xela19115

join:2000-10-06
Richboro, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by patcat88:

If I have Pay Per Byte billing I want to be able to download atleast at 100 mbit, no less.
As I said the "last-mile" provider should open the pipe as wide open as technically possible and just charge per byte. If its technically possible to provide 100 Mbps then you'll get 100 Mbps but if the highest you can get technically is 5 or 10 Mbps then you'll get what you'll get.

I think that way everyone will have less headaches and confusion. If someone downloads/uploads 600 GB/month then that person pays for their usage equivalent amount and person who uses only 10 GB/month will obviously pay much lower amount.
--
xela19115

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

But this system has been perverted by "minimum comits" which guarantee $1000s each month even if not 1 packet was sent across the link.