Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal
« Verizon DSL Line Monitors - Free
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 50 · 51 · 52 · next

coli

join:2008-01-29
reply to Smith6612

[Interleave/Fastpath] Re: Need to switch between Interleave and FastPath? Part 2

Is this good enough for fast path?

3360 / 832 Kbps

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):15/9
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):48/30

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Sorry about the delayed response. I wouldn't really go for it as the line is already slightly out of sync and has a low upstream margin.

jedijosh17

join:2003-09-01
Buchanan, VA
reply to Smith6612
Here are my stats. Also wondering if I'd be available for the 7.1 speeds.

Transceiver Revision: 6.2.0.211
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 800
Margin (dB) 20.5 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 15.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 8.6 11.9

Thanks for your time

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
The upstream needs to get cleaned up a little as it's out of the proper sync, but that line is good to go for 7.1Mbps with FastPath as you're within a mile from the exchange. You can go for FastPath if you'd like right now, just expect the upstream sync to drop slightly because of the low margin. Downstream, nothing to worry about there.

jkuehn9

join:2008-11-09
Sammamish, WA
reply to Smith6612
Hello. I'm getting a lot of drops on my Verizon DSL line. My transceiver stats are below. Should I ask for FastPath? Thanks!

Transceiver Revision: 4.2.0.11
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3072 832
Margin (dB) 5.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 40.0 27.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.3 11.8

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
No.

Vector

@bethere.co.uk
reply to Smith6612
Hi there,

I'm not from the US so I won't be on the same ISP as you guys but I was hoping you could help me anyway.

I recently switched my profile to FastPath, but am a bit worried about the stats, especially my upload SNRM.

Link Information;

Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,412 / 16,048
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.5 / 13.0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 37 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 51 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 659 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 23,712,350
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 318 / 408
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2,140 / 365

No idea what most of that means, so I hope I can pick your brains on this one. Should I switch back to Interleaved?

Thanks.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

2 edits
We can surely help you. I can see that you must have a high speed ADSL2/2+ connection there, but you're also very close to the exchange. If the line isn't disconnecting or dropping, I say Great, it'd be OK to stick with FastPath despite the low upstream margin, however if you notice packet loss on your line consistently, reduced speeds or resyncing especially on the upstream side consistently, you might want to go back to Interleaved. If it's a resyncing issue, you can either let the modem find a stable place to sit at slightly below your provisioned speed, or you can go to Interleaved, your choice. I'm not used to seeing sync rates that high over DSL so I'm letting down on my SNR of 6 and below = no good rule here. Your downstream margin is accepatable though so there shouldn't be too much to worry about there even though that is usually the one to fluctuate.

If it holds stabally and is reliable, it should be fine. I've seen DSL connections hold at some insanely low margins (0.5dB downstream for 10 minutes anyone? ) and still get the same latency and speed and not have any packet loss with FastPath.

Vector

@bethere.co.uk
reply to Smith6612
Great, thanks for the help.

Yes, I'm on ADSL 2+ I've managed to get speeds of up to 23,000kbps/1,400kbps (Down/Up) in the past, but my service has degraded over the past couple of week, apparently due to "upgrades." My upload SNRM used to be around 7dB.

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice and stick with FastPath as I'm an avid gamer and we all know, besides skill, latency is key to winning the opponent

Thanks again,

Vector.

Vector

@bethere.co.uk
reply to Smith6612
Problem resolved. My upload SNRM is up to 9.5dB.

The ISP I'm with have enabled a feature which allows you to manually change your line profile via your member profile.

I had it set to "Optimize for speed"

Handy little tool

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
No problem. If you need any more help, you know where to find us

Richard W

join:2000-05-13
New York, NY
Here are my stats. Should I try for FastPath?
Transceiver Revision: 4.2.0.11
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864
Margin (dB) 14.0 9.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 38.5 29.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 12.7 11.9

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
That line should be ok. The upstream sync may lower slightly but if you're willing to cope with that, you should be all set to go.

Richard W

join:2000-05-13
New York, NY
Thanks for the feedback.
I have a few questions.

What is upstream sync and what does it mean when you say that it may lower slightly?

Is there a link you can provide to help me understand what the stats mean?
said by Smith6612:

That line should be ok. The upstream sync may lower slightly but if you're willing to cope with that, you should be all set to go.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
This below FAQ search should answer your questions.

»/nsear ··· earch=Go

Basically, I said that because the upstream's margin is at 9dB. Typically, I find that when FastPath or a speed is bumped up slightly at 9dB margin, the line will usually sync at 832kbps rather than 864kbps which you're at now. But given your attenuation, you should be fine even if 32kbps of sync is shaved off.

GRrrrrr

@telepacific.net
reply to Smith6612
I have a B90-210015-C DSL modem and it does not have a web service.
How do I get the stats to see if I can switch to FastPath?
Can I just try to request it without the stats?

Thanks.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Well, to find out if you have FastPath or not the easy way, run a trace route to google.com using Windows and post it up. Don't use the connection while it's running. Additionally you can download the Westell Diagnostic Utility to look at the modem's stats to see if you can handle it/have it already. There are some threads if you use the Search here that have the link to the Diagnostic utility if you'd like to use that.

To run a trace route in windows, open up command prompt and type in "tracert google.com" without the quotes. Press Enter, and let it go until you see Trace Complete. If all you see are a continuation of Stars, just end the trace. Once the trace is done, in the upper left hand corner of the window, there is a small icon. Click that, go to the Edit menu, select Select All from the Edit menu, and then press Enter to copy the text. Post the trace route up here.

GRrrrrr

@telepacific.net
reply to Smith6612
I know that I don't have fastpath.
Every test that I have done have a response times of 40ms or more in a GTE hop.

All my games has ping of 40 - 200ms. Being 60ms avg.
I've already tried calling in to have it change a few times in the last year, and each time, I couldn't get it done.

Now that I've just realized, it can be requested through the Verizon Direct forum.
The only problem is that, I couldn't get any stats and is wondering if I could request it anyways.

The Westell Diagnostic Utility does not show any stats. All it shows is that the modem is online. Unless there's something else that I'll need to click....

Thanks for your reply.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
After you open the tool, hit CTRL+ALT+F7 and select the DSL tab.

GRrrrrr

@telepacific.net
reply to Smith6612
Did a quick test before work this morning.
Here's the stats:

Noise Margin: N/A 16.0
Output Power: N/A N/A
Attenuation: N/A 59.0
Data Rate 448 1792

Thanks.

LittleSaint

join:2001-11-23
Brunswick, OH
reply to Smith6612
FastPath and/or 7.1?

Margin (dB) 28.5 11.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 28.5 16.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 12.3 20.5

Thx.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
You can take both FastPath and 7.1Mbps speeds on that line

And GRrrrrr, your downstream margin seems fine. Your modem isn't reporting any other stats besides the margin and the attenuation for the downstream, but I say it should be good to go.

kira0518

join:2008-11-23
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Smith6612
Here's my data, am I good for fast path?

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d19d
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 832
Margin (dB) 18.6 15.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 25.0 11.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 8.0 12.2

Thanks for help

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
You're good to go for FastPath.

neuregel

@rr.com
reply to Smith6612
Its not fast path its called fast packet ...... at the beginning incompetent phone tech's could not comprehend packet and started calling it path.

Switching to interleaved will help if your a bit outside the requirements of the line but will not help if there is an actual problem on the line that needs to be addressed ior you simply dont qualify for the speed package your at because of distance or cable make-up. Its not the dream fix everyone is hoping for.

Some techs will switch you to interleaved as a short term solution to get you off the phone but over time the line can degrade and your back where you started.

Ping times will increase but if you have a stable connection with slightly higher ping times you wont even notice the difference. Your talking about mili seconds and I seriously doubt a human can detect the difference between 30ms and 60ms.

neuregel

@rr.com
reply to Smith6612
smith6621 your telling people they qualify for speed packages you know nothing about. Just because a line test good at 3megs does not mean it will work at 7megs. Nothing read from the modem gives any clue about cable makeup. Its distance related. not okey to tell people, your test look good at 3megs and your fine.

Unless do you work for mcow?

3 megs works fine up too about 10k ft on a good line with little to no 26g cable. The more 26g cable the more the distance for 3 megs decreases. 7megs works up to about 5k ft depending again on 26g cable.

People think if they get a higher speed package that will improve ping times and make them better gamers. Doubtful.
again your talking about miliseconds if you think you need a 20ms advantage or even a 60ms over your oponent, your a newb.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

2 edits

1 recommendation

It's typically not too hard to determine if they qualify for a package or not. I take their line stats, look at the attenuation and margins, and the transmit power and decide if they may have some room for it. Typically, I say that they can go to another package, say from 3Mbps to 7.1Mbps if the margin is 18dB or above, and the attenuation is 30 or below, ADSL2+ I'll push attenuation up slightly higher. If I see that something else may affect the line, I wouldn't even state getting the speed boost or changing to something else in the first place. If I know the user's line won't handle things the greatest, I always state why and state that they can move to Fast Packet, at the expense of some possible sync rate rduction.

Also, I've always heard that 7,000ft was the cutoff for 7.1Mbps service, and that 10,000-12,000ft was the cutoff for 3Mbps service, and any more up to 18,000+ feet is the end of 768kbps service. Sure, I can't tell wire gauge or type by looking at the modem stats, but I can at least give a good idea on how far they are, and what they should be able to hold. If they can't hold it, they can either have the sync rate slightly reduced, or go back to how things were before. As for lag times on Interleaved vs. Fast Packet, if you play a lot of shooters on a fact PC, you'll certainly notice the difference between the two.

Brice W

@verizon.net
reply to Smith6612
Hi there. I'm new to this fastpath and Interleave stuff, but I've had Verizon DSL for about 3 years and I seem to get high latency quite a bit. I swear the connection only works like it should about %40 of the time. A buddy of mine that lives down the road has the same problems, as we often play online games together and lag at the same time. I'll post my trans stats and see if there is anything I can do. Thanks!

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 864 160
Margin (dB) 16.5 31.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 38.5 28.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 4.1 11.7

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
You're good to go for FastPath! Let your buddy know if his margins are 10 or above that he should be good to go as well. The quickest way to get FastPath would be to register at this site and use the Verizon Direct forum. Many people here have found that to be the best way, but phone support will be able to help you as well.

wafizarudin

join:2008-12-11
Terre Haute, IN
reply to Smith6612
Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
Margin (dB) 9.5 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 46.0 27.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 6.7 11.8

I dont know much about internet, but im a gamer, and i want to know if i can get fast path