spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sfinney76
join:2015-10-31
us

sfinney76 to Smith6612

to Smith6612

Re: [Interleave/Fastpath] Need to switch between Interleave and FastPath? Part 2

Hello, I know I live at the very end of a very long line and barely even qualify for DSL. How bad are my numbers, and is there any chance I could qualify for Fastpath?

VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 864 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 160 Kbps
Retrains: 0
Retrain Timer: 2 Days, 0H:54M:60S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 2
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 14
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 4185
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 23 dB
SNR Upstream : 31 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 61 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 31 dB
Power Downstream 12.6 dBm
Power Upstream 9.3 dBm

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to dingo11

MVM

to dingo11
Same price unless you're on a very old plan.
dingo11
join:2015-10-12
Berkley, MA

dingo11 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Any idea how much more it usually costs for the 5-7mbps?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to dingo11

MVM

to dingo11
You should be good to go for FastPath. While you're at it, try for more speed than 3Mbps. Additonal speed will give you some more headroom to allow for others in your home to load content. 5-7Mbps will be a nice improvement over 3Mbps in retrospect.
dingo11
join:2015-10-12
Berkley, MA

dingo11 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Should I be trying for fastpath? And will it help with ping spikes? I'm less concerned about a lower overall ping and more concerned about obtaining a more consistent one. It seems that having someone on the connection so much as playing candycrush on an ipad or web browsing is enough to give me some nasty ping spikes.

bfield34
join:2015-09-15
Weedsport, NY

bfield34 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Thanks Smith. I don't think it's a true home run. What I did when I had the DSL setup was I installed a whole house filter which essentially is supposed to separate the voice and data signals. One side of that filter runs to the jack where my DSL modem is connected and the other side runs to jacks where the phones would be connected. I don't have any phones connected in my house and my DSL line is a dry loop, or so they tell me.

As mentioned I am quite a ways away from the CO and I've called Verizon's 800 number a couple times to see if I could get a faster speed but I always got the "let me check" and about 20 seconds later they came back and said "Nope...you have the fastest available at your location." Which makes me think they really have no clue and they're just trying to get me off the phone. Heck - before I got DSL I checked the online verifier for about a year and it always said DSL wasn't available for me. I also called the 800 number and they gave me the same answer. Then someone a couple houses down from me said they had DSL and I had to call the local office, which I did and they said "Yeah, you can get DSL but since so you're so far from the CO it will only come down at 1.5Mbps." I guess I'm lucky I'm getting the speeds I am and should just live with it until something better comes along....if it ever does. I really have two options where I live DSL and Satellite.

I just wanted to check with people on this site who are light years ahead of most Verizon support people to get the real scoop before I contacted Verizon asking for a little more.

My whole house filter has to be about 8 years old now. I wonder if I should consider replacing it or just checking the connections and making sure they aren't getting corroded.

I've also had problems with noisy lines a couple times since I got the DSL installed. I had to call Verizon support about 5 times each time I had that issue and tell them there was a problem between the CO and my house. Every time they said it was something in my house and eventually they said "Ok, we'll send someone out but if it's a problem in your house it will cost you $75 / hour." Or something like that. Of course both times the guy came out he said "Yup..there's a break in the line someplace between your house and the CO. He found it and fixed it.

Ok..I've rambled enough. Thanks for the feedback. If you have any other recommendations on how I might clean up my connection a bit I would appreciate it.

Thx
bill

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to bfield34

MVM

to bfield34
It looks like your circuit is already running at an "optimized" rate. I would try to skip FastPath as you're also hitting a good number of errors.

Do you have a "HomeRun" installed at your home or no? This is a dedicated DSL Jack with the rest of your home being filtered out. Usually these help ensure the signal remains as strong as possible, and isn't degraded by extra load caused by wiring in your home, and microfilters.
bfield34
join:2015-09-15
Weedsport, NY

bfield34 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Hi all. Recently started working from home and trying to improve my DSL connection somewhat. Wondering if you could take a look at my modem stats and let me know if you think I could ask for a Fast Path connection as opposed to what appears to be an Interleaved connection. I will say the CO is about 2.5 miles from my house, but my connection is generally stable and speeds are OK considering how far out in the boonies I am. I need to do an occasional reboot on the modem, but mostly it's ok.

Downstream Speed: 2944 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 864 Kbps
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 18H:58M:28S
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 7265
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 102
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 84225
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 511989
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 194
SNR Downstream : 13 dB
SNR Upstream : 11 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 49 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 27 dB
Power Downstream 18.9 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm

Thank you
Pnew4
join:2001-11-28
Westminster, MD

Pnew4 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
»/pingt ··· /3340872
Pnew4

Pnew4 to Smith6612

to Smith6612

Expand your moderator at work

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to BrianRJ

to BrianRJ

Re: [Interleave/Fastpath] Need to switch between Interleave and FastPath? Part 2

Yeah, FastPath will reduce your ping times. It should work fine with that line!
BrianRJ
join:2015-07-22
Winburne, PA

BrianRJ to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Should i be trying for this? Would also love to get any speed above 3, thats for sure!

VPI 0

VCI 35

DSL mode Auto

DSL negotiated mode G.DMT

Connection status Showtime

Speed down/up 3360 / 864

ATM QoS class UBR

Outpot power 11.9 / 8.3 dBm

Attainable Rate down/up 11232 / 1032

HEC errors 0 / 0

OCD errors 0 / 0

LCD errors 0 / 0

SNR Margin 25.0 / 12.0 dB

Attenuation 26.0 / 15.0 dB

Thank you!

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Not to hijack this thread, because I know it has a purpose, but I read on the Windstream forum that they are doing an IPTV platform using ADSL2+ line bonding. It's called "Kinetic" I think.
alentje
join:2015-05-09

alentje to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Oh, nice. I am about 120m away from the DSLAM

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to alentje

MVM

to alentje
They would need to change the pieces on both ends. That is all up to your provider.

Given your current Line stats changing to FastPath will have no effect on the quality of the IPTV service. Interleaving is honestly only useful on longer lines that need the error checking. For yours it's just a latency inducer.
alentje

alentje to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Will my IPTV be choppy if I switch to FastPath? And if they wanted to switch to VDSL, what do they need to replace, the DSLAM/CO or the user-equipment or both?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to alentje

MVM

to alentje
Got it. I am surprised they are running an IPTV service over ADSL2+ rather than VDSL. With IPTV I can see why they won't get you off Interleaved. Keep working with your provider as there should be no reason as to why they cannot.
alentje

alentje

Oh, I see what a NID is, we don't have these here. Here we get a line from a pole to our house and it goes to a wall plug and then a DSL filter that splits one cable to a phone and one to the modem. I called the tech support yesterday and they said if I wanted Interleaving off I need to call on Monday and say that my ping is bad, and then they will switch to FastPath.

BTW my subscription allows only 6.1Mbit/s and the rest is for IPTV. I called them again now and I asked for the increased speed and they said they can't do it as my package only allows 6.1Mbit/s (actually there is no faster service/package for my area). And I asked again for FastPath and now they say they can't do it. I'll call them again on monday and let a techinican come here to see that I qualify for FastPath. At least I will be able to talk to a technician that knows something about this.
alentje

alentje to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Thanks for the reply! What is a homerun? And what a NID? I always thought it was out of sync because they limit the speed to my DSL package. And to add, I'm not on Verizon and not even in the US, I was just asking if my line could do FastPath.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

3 edits

Smith6612 to alentje

MVM

to alentje
It will. Verizon may not provision FastPath on a line beyond 7.1Mbps, but I would push for it to be applied with the speed you've got. If you wanted to, you could try asking for 15Mbps or 15Mbps+FastPath considering you're right on top of the DSLAM.

Take note that your upstream is out of sync. If you do not have a homerun installed from your NID to your modem, please consider installing one. They are suggested at speeds higher than 3Mbps.
alentje

alentje to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Hi! Will my connection do FastPath?

Data Path Interleaved
Operation Mode G.dmt.bisplus
Max. Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps)18820 / 980
Bandwidth Down/Up(kbps) 12288 / 957
SNR Margin Down/Up(dB) 19.6 / 13.2
Attenuation Down/Up(dB) 1.5 / 5.5
Power Down/Up(dBm) 14.5 / 12.3
CRC Down/Up 0 / 0
FEC Down/Up 0 / 0
HEC Down/Up 0 / 0
Trev2481
join:2015-04-18
Port Carbon, PA

Trev2481 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Yea I mean it just feels like beating a dead horse haha I get the same answers everytime, going to take some patience I suppose.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Trev2481

MVM

to Trev2481
said by Trev2481:

Yea there is something right across the road from me maybe that's what it is, still I've been told that I'm to far from the nearest co to have anything higher then 3mbps, very disappointing.

Sounds like you'll need to push Verizon to get you more.
Trev2481
Port Carbon, PA

Trev2481 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Yea there is something right across the road from me maybe that's what it is, still I've been told that I'm to far from the nearest co to have anything higher then 3mbps, very disappointing.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to Trev2481

MVM

to Trev2481
You should be golden for anything 7.1Mbps + FastPath or 15Mbps + FastPath (Verizon will likely provide Interleaved on 15Mbps, see if you can push for better than that though).

Looks like the DSLAM is right next door to you.
Trev2481
Port Carbon, PA

Trev2481 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Trev2481

Broadband Parameter Status
Downstream Speed: 3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 864 Kbps
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 11H:44M:6S
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 0
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
SNR Downstream : 28 dB
SNR Upstream : 16 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 2 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 1 dB
Power Downstream -2.1 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm

Apparently I can't get a speed faster then the 1.1 to 3 package, what do you think ?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to FrustratFred

MVM

to FrustratFred
Please work with Verizon to get your line repaired. Once that is done, we can then see if your line will support FastPath.
FrustratFred
join:2015-04-04
Frederick, MD

FrustratFred to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Checked the VZSpeedtest and results were 0.34Mbps and 0.09Mbps, On good days its more like 0.74/0.13, checked the modem and this is what I found. It is a bit windy today, wind and or rain slows and or disconnects my DSL. My plan rate is for 0.5 to 1.1Mbps My line length is over 17,500 feet and even my neighbor with a 3M plan doesn't get much better than I do most of the time. We have been told there are issues within the phone lines that contribute, but can't get those fixed either.

Any ideas or help?

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 256 160
Margin (dB) 22.9 24.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 51.9 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.5 11.9