how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dan8888

join:2007-08-21
Wilmington, DE

My problem with this

There are 2,592,000 seconds in a 30 day period, if one has a 16mbps, in this time they can download, this would work out to 5,184 GBs, while the cap is only 250GB, which if I am doing my math right, is roughly 5 percent of what is possible.

telcolackey5
The Truth? You can't handle the truth

join:2007-04-06
Death Valley, CA

3 edits
No networks (data, phone, electric, water, plumbing, etc) are designed to operate that way. All are based on a share system. Verizon, AT&T, Comcast etc would fall over if the networks are required to carry dedicated bandwidth.

The difference is when a very small minority of users (probably no one that has posted so far) run in this fashion and ruin it for everyone else.

Imagine if electricity or water were flat rate for your neighborhood and your pro-rata bill grew because Homer likes to keep a fresh stream of hot water flowing in his swimming pool 7x24.
--
"Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear." - Dinah Craik

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

2 edits
said by telcolackey5:

No networks are designed to operate that way. All are based on a share system. Verizon, AT&T, Comcast etc would fall over if the networks are required to carry dedicated bandwidth.

The difference is when a very small minority of users (probably no one that has posted so far) run in this fashion and ruin it for everyone else.

Imagine if electricity or water were flat rate for your neighborhood and your pro-rata bill grew because Homer likes to keep a fresh stream of hot water flowing in his swimming pool 7x24.
I did post. I used 500 GB (video on demand from LEGAL sites plus VPN traffic to work) and was booted off for my "abuse".

We "ruin it for everybody else" due to a badly engineered network that is not able to keep up with the service that was sold.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

NAM
Premium
join:2004-09-09
West Grove, PA
kudos:1
said by sturmvogel:

I did post. I used 500 GB (video on demand from LEGAL sites plus VPN traffic to work) and was booted off for my "abuse".

We "ruin it for everybody else" due to a badly engineered network that is not able to keep up with the service that was sold.
Wow, someone who doesn't live in fantasy land and actually sees whats going on here.
--
Verizon Services Technician
MCSA
MCSE
Ham Radio - KB3HIZ

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX
reply to Dan8888
said by Dan8888:

There are 2,592,000 seconds in a 30 day period, if one has a 16mbps, in this time they can download, this would work out to 5,184 GBs, while the cap is only 250GB, which if I am doing my math right, is roughly 5 percent of what is possible.
Your calculations are correct. I calculated the cap to be about 13% of the theoretical usage potential of a 6 Mbit link, trying to be conservative as far as purchased tier.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

Dan8888

join:2007-08-21
Wilmington, DE

1 edit
reply to telcolackey5
said by telcolackey5:

No networks (data, phone, electric, water, plumbing, etc) are designed to operate that way. All are based on a share system. Verizon, AT&T, Comcast etc would fall over if the networks are required to carry dedicated bandwidth.

Well, 5 percent is a rather small percent of what is possible in theory. What if they drop it to 2.5 percent, or 1 percent, is it still legitimate? Where is the line drawn as to what percent of the theoretical amount they need to be able to provide.