join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

2 edits

1 recommendation

sturmvogel6 to Rick5

to Rick5

Re: Ding Dong...

said by Rick5:

The hogs are dead. Which old hogs? The Bandwidth Hogs!
Ding Dong! The bandwidth hogs are dead!
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the bandwidth hogs are dead.

They've gone where DSL does go,so SLOW...so SLOW so SLOW!
Yo-ho, let's open up and sing... and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong the merry-oh, sing it high, download it slow.
Let them know The Bandwidth Hogs are dead!

Levity aside, I think that comcasts 250 gig caps are more than fair for the price paid. And, this doesn't restrict users from using more. It just restricts them from doing it off the backs of other paying customers.

Is that fair? I certainly think it is.
I am not dead and wish the best to you as much as you wish to the people I represent.

We do not exist on the "backs of other customers". CC uses a flat rate pricing system. The fact that YOU are not competent to use your connection to the larger extent that we can does not mean that WE should go down to your lack of expertise level.

I can drive 80 MPH for 12 hrs straight on I10. Do I drive on the "back" of grannies that can do only 40 MPH for 30 minutes in the slow lane ?
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

1 edit

Rick5

Premium Member

said by sturmvogel6:

We do not exist on the "backs of other customers".

Of course you exist on the backs of other customers.

There is no way in the world that these kinds of bandwidth numbers would be available to you otherwise for this kind of money except for the fact that this is a shared network.

A 6 or 8 Mb pipe delivering to you 250~400Gigs per month would cost you THOUSANDS per month were you not on a shared network arrangement. What has been happening is everyone has been footing the bills while the vast minority helps themselves to everything they can get. As the comcast statements notes, the average user is consuming 2 to 3 gigs per month while others apparently are going to extremes of 250 to 400 gigs. It is time that people using the excessive amounts start to pay for it.

It's really that simple.

~Rick
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Meh, you can get 250-400 GB per month, it just won' be at extreme speeds. Meet the $359 T1, which is likely available (it is here) where Comcast has their lines. Slower? Yes. Capped? Uh uh.

sturmvogel6
Obama '08
join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

1 edit

sturmvogel6 to Rick5

to Rick5
said by Rick5:
said by sturmvogel6:

We do not exist on the "backs of other customers".

Of course you exist on the backs of other customers.

There is no way in the world that these kinds of bandwidth numbers would be available to you otherwise for this kind of money except for the fact that this is a shared network.

A 6 or 8 Mb pipe delivering to you 250~400Gigs per month would cost you THOUSANDS per month were you not on a shared network arrangement. What has been happening is everyone has been footing the bills while the vast minority helps themselves to everything they can get. As the comcast statements notes, the average user is consuming 2 to 3 gigs per month while others apparently are going to extremes of 250 to 400 gigs. It is time that people using the excessive amounts start to pay for it.

It's really that simple.

~Rick
I do not have a problem to pay for my usage, but I have a problem with your position regarding that we "the hogs" are somehow ripping others offe or existing at their expense.

The argument works both ways. If the ones that use more should pay more, how about those that use the service almost not at all ?

Should they get a refund ?

Who is then ripping people off ?

Bellundo
@teksavvy.com

Bellundo to Rick5

Anon

to Rick5
These figures are from the year 2008. The average subscribers downloads and uploads between 20 and 30 gigabytes a month. The average subscriber on dial-up downloads and uploads 5 gigabytes a month.