share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits

Comcast has new Acceptable Use Policy besides the 250GB cap

Comcast has also rolled out a NEW AUP besides instituting a 250 GB cap.

»downloads.comcast.net/docs/Comca···licy.pdf

Basically, if Comcast wants to drop you, this AUP gives them about 50 different ways for them to do that, no matter how you use the service.

It also includes the new 250GB wordings.

Mod Note: Recent Forum History on the bandwidth limitations: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Does Comcast have bandwidth use limits?

--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

1 recommendation

Sounds fair to me. 250 gigs is very generous given the numbers we've seen from talk of other providers.

I would also point out that the new terms say that violators could be asked to "move to a commerical service".
Many have wondered on this forum whether Comcasts caps on their business connections are as restrictive in terms of caps. That would seem to answer that and would seem to suggest that people who wanted more than the 250 gig caps could simply move to a business connection if available to them.

Lastly, I do think it's important that Comcast make available to customers a bandwidth meter of some sort that will be the official measurement tool. While most will not come close to the 250 gig caps..those who do will have a legitimate complaint if that isn't provided I think.
You can't ask for people to now have a fixed cap and number they must go by..and no way to gauge where they stand in relation to it.

Other than that..it all sounds fair to me.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

join:2008-07-06
Newark, DE
reply to FFH

Yeah Comcast, only took 7 years for a definition.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit
reply to Rick

said by Rick:

Lastly, I do think it's important that Comcast make available to customers a bandwidth meter of some sort that will be the official measurement tool.
That isn't in the works. At least for now.

»help.comcast.net/content/faq/Fre···tracking
How does Comcast help its customers track their usage so they can avoid exceeding the limit?

There are many online tools customers can download and use to measure their consumption. Customers can find such tools by simply doing a Web search - for example, a search for "bandwidth meter" will provide some options. Customers using multiple PCs should just be aware that they will need to measure and combine their total monthly usage in order to identify the data usage for their entire account.
If you are a WINDOWS user, you can use the FREE Netlimeter 2 Monitor to do this. Put on each PC and total the numbers.
»www.netlimiter.com/download.php

And some home routers have bandwidth monitors built in - which would be more accurate and easier to use in a multiple computer household.

--

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

IMHO..they need to put it in the works so there's an official reading that will be there to arbitrate any disputes.
--
The Coyote captured the RR! Roadrunner Rick is now Comcastic!

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX
reply to Rick

said by Rick:

Sounds fair to me. 250 gigs is very generous given the numbers we've seen from talk of other providers.

I would also point out that the new terms say that violators could be asked to "move to a commerical service".
Many have wondered on this forum whether Comcasts caps on their business connections are as restrictive in terms of caps. That would seem to answer that and would seem to suggest that people who wanted more than the 250 gig caps could simply move to a business connection if available to them.

Lastly, I do think it's important that Comcast make available to customers a bandwidth meter of some sort that will be the official measurement tool. While most will not come close to the 250 gig caps..those who do will have a legitimate complaint if that isn't provided I think.
You can't ask for people to now have a fixed cap and number they must go by..and no way to gauge where they stand in relation to it.

This isn't "generous". It is better than what the other providers offer. So, compared to garbage, it is better.

Also, "could" be asked to move to a commercial service is very misleading:

1. I did ask to move to a business class service and was refused.

2. Business and commercial are two very different services, especially in price. So when saying to move to commercial, most people would think business, while commercial is very expensive and they probably could not afford.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

sturmvogel
Obama '08

Houston, TX
reply to Rick

said by Rick:

It seems to me that you use commercial and business as interchangeable terms. In CC's world they are vastly different things.

Maybe then it would not sound that fair to you.
--

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to FFH

I am still neutral on the bandwidth cap issue in general, but if there is going to be a bandwidth cap, there needs to be an official record that is user accessible. It doesn't need to be in real-time, but it should reflect activity within 24 hours of the activity occurring.

The analogy I would use for comparison is your cellular company gives you (xx) minutes per month for a plan or tier, but you can't find out how many minutes you've used for the month. Seems kind of silly, no?

Hopefully this will be addressed before the official roll-out begins.

sturmvogel
Obama '08

Houston, TX

said by AVonGauss:

I am still neutral on the bandwidth cap issue in general, but if there is going to be a bandwidth cap, there needs to be an official record that is user accessible. It doesn't need to be in real-time, but it should reflect activity within 24 hours of the activity occurring.

The analogy I would use for comparison is your cellular company gives you (xx) minutes per month for a plan or tier, but you can't find out how many minutes you've used for the month. Seems kind of silly, no?

Hopefully this will be addressed before the official roll-out begins.
I totally agree with you. In my opinion CC is trying to get out of the FCC order with as little work as possible and as liitle transparency and use to the subscriber as they could get away with. Nothing new here in my experience.
--

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Comcast definitely needs to establish a tool that allows members to view up-to-date bandwidth usage as seen in the eyes of Comcast.

Yes, there are programs out there, and even firmwares (I use Tomato firmware that records all bandwidth usage).

But customers need to be kept abreast of their current usage as seen in the eyes of Comcast so they can adjust their surfing habits so they do not hit the caps.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.US

sturmvogel
Obama '08

Houston, TX

Well said.

dar2

@comcast.net
reply to FFH

Will bit torrent throttling still be in place?

dr

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

said by dar2 :

dr
From what I read before, the FCC gave Comcast till 12/31/2008 to end it. So there are no guarantees when Comcast will stop that before year end.

And there is no new info in today's announcements on P2P throttling.
--

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dar2

said by dar2 :

dr
yep.. use more than 250 gig in a month and your connection could be throttled - to zero.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by beerbum:

said by dar2 :

dr
yep.. use more than 250 gig in a month and your connection could be throttled - to zero.

I think you need to do more reading.

»Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

ncherry
Premium
join:2003-07-13
Monroe Township, NJ
reply to FFH

Wow 250GBytes (after all GB is giga-bytes not Gb - Giga-bits)! :-/

I take it this is really giga-bits so I'll stop pretending that it's giga-bytes now.

Notice that it lacks the listing of tools that Comcast will supply to say how much Comcast actually sees as your usage. I'm not happy with that. Either way I'll get a new image of OpenWRT or Tomato for my WRT54G so I can figure out how much traffic I think I'm running. I doubt my normal usage will exceed the 250Gb usage. I do send a lot of updates for my web pages but they're just web pages. Maybe I'll be able to compress them (need to look into that again).

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by ncherry:

I take it this is really giga-bits so I'll stop pretending that it's giga-bytes now.
Well you would be taking it wrong. It is 250 GigaBYTES and not gigabits. In network terminology gigabits is used to measure speed and GIGABYTES is used to measure volume.
--

ncherry
Premium
Monroe Township, NJ

1 recommendation

said by FFH:

said by ncherry:

Well you would be taking it wrong. It is 250 GigaBYTES and not gigabits. In network terminology gigabits is used to measure speed and GIGABYTES is used to measure volume.
You are quite correct, I got it very wrong. In my work I deal with bits and bits per sec (I do a lot of throughput testing). Sorry about that. Even my WRT54G shows bytes. Man did I ever get that wrong.

Thanks!

ncherry
Premium
Monroe Township, NJ
reply to FFH

There is one thing I'm not seeing (so far) and that is what exactly is "establish a specific monthly data usage threshold of 250 GB/month per account for all residential customers"? Is this the download usage, the upload usage or both? I suspect both.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by ncherry:

There is one thing I'm not seeing (so far) and that is what exactly is "establish a specific monthly data usage threshold of 250 GB/month per account for all residential customers"? Is this the download usage, the upload usage or both? I suspect both.
They don't spell it out, but my take is that by using the term USAGE, it is a combined upload and download.
--

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Comcast seriously needs a usage monitor of their own. I'd go so far as to say they have to. Otherwise they're brewing up a shitstorm for themselves.

Not very many home routers have a meter, though that will probably change as more ISPs go down the cap/metered billing path. Meters on individual computers in a LAN are next to useless - I've only seen two that separate LAN and WAN traffic, neither of which are free. And even then you'd have to have it on every PC AND then add up the totals? Gimme a break, that's ridiculous.
--
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon profitable cause...

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

If you are a WINDOWS user, you can use the FREE Netlimeter 2 Monitor to do this. Put on each PC and total the numbers.
»www.netlimiter.com/download.php
Please advise as how to install this on my DirecTV HR21-200 DVR which I use to download VOD content via my Comcast HSI.
--

Ö¿Ö
The Rules of Spam | Maryland's Newest Anti-Spam Law
Where are we going? And what's with the hand basket?

captblaze

join:2002-02-15
Pontiac, MI

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

once again the consumer is taking it up the pipe because big business wants to make share holders happy. when comcast was trying to hook consumers on broadband the sky was the limit, but now that bandwidth is expensive (hasn't it always been?) what once was "unlimited" is now unlimited with a cap...

wouldn't it be wonderful if the consumer could make changes to the TOS just like comcast does? seeing as the consumers choice is limited to only a scarce few (if any) options and comcast is only interested in the happiness of share holders maybe it is time for the consumers to show comcast that regardless of how wonderful life is with broadband, without the consumers backing comcast is nothing...

with all that being said i am sure i will get a few people who will defend comcast with the usual "that is what capitalism is all about" rhetoric, my position is not anti-capitalism... it is enough is enough...
--
flame on!

Spawne327

join:2007-03-20
Blackwood, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

looks like ill be dropping comcast for verizon fios at the first chance i get

nhgames1010

join:2004-12-01
Lake Worth, FL
reply to FFH

Did comcast have a 250gb cap all this time and they are now just announcing it? Because if i never went over 250gb all this time im fine with this cap..

n9yty

join:2006-05-10
61115-1270
reply to FFH

If I vote for Obama will he make this illegal?

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Cabal

said by Cabal:

said by beerbum:

ep.. use more than 250 gig in a month and your connection could be throttled - to zero.

I think you need to do more reading.

»Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1
please explain where my statement is wrong?

per »www.comcast.net/terms/network/amendment/

Today, we're announcing that beginning on October 1, 2008, we will amend our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) available at »www.comcast.net/terms/use/ and establish a specific monthly data usage threshold of 250 GB/month per account for all residential customers.

according to this, exceeding 250GB per month is a violation of the AUP - you can have your connection terminated for violating the Comcast AUP, therefore if one exceeds 25pGB in a month they can expect the possibility their connection speed will be throttled to zero.

reply to FFH

Comcast used to send letters about high use for people using around 90 GB a few years ago, so this is a bit more. It is good that the cap is clear, rather than vague. It is better that they ask people using more than 250 GB to upgrade to business service instead of Time Warner's ideas of selling bandwidth at a 1000% markup.

tjubb
Premium
join:2002-02-01
Bristow, VA

1 edit
reply to FFH

I may be reading more into this than is necessary, but based on what I read on page 7 of the AUP pdf, it seems that even if you are below the 250gb threshold AND have a negative impact on the "Service" than you can also get the disconnect. Anyone else getting that from the AUP?

If that's not the case then just use 249gb of bandwidth each month and your abiding by the new policy, right?

BTW, many of you inquiring about a monitor. I use a 3rd party firmware "Tomato" on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router which has a slick bandwidth monitor. I can check my usage for any day, week, month as well as a real-time graph. Most of us BB geeks know about it but maybe some of you don't

dscrap

join:2006-12-13
Vineland, NJ

1 edit
reply to FFH

How will the cap affect people that have Comcast phone service as well as cable TV (On-Demand)? Do those services also use bandwidth? Will the cap be just DL bandwidth or UL as well? I am not happy about the cap, but I can understand why Comcast would do this.

The biggest complaint or concern that I have would be the fact that Comcast needs to give customers the availability to check their usage and maybe even email it to themselves either as an alert or just a reminder. If Comcast is going to cap the service, they need to allow us to check it. Without doing so will just let them say whatever they want to say as usual.

I received an abuse call a few years ago and I spoke to a few different people that all gave me a different amount of bandwidth usage. The highest being 330 GB and lowest was I think 210 GB in a month. If I had known about the cap and had the ability to check it, I would have changed my usage habits to remain under the cap. Nothing ever happened after receiving the call, but I definitely feel that a usage monitor is required and should be provide by Comcast.