kudos:4

1 recommendation

»Comcast 250GB Cap Goes Live October 1

ilmickeyli
Yes, There Is A Kalamazoo

join:2002-05-18
Portage, MI
reply to Edit This

I don't know what I'm going to do... Between the VOD (Netflix) and playing xbox live A LOT, this is very concerning.

I honestly do not torrent anymore, I've grown out of that phase..

If this would actually stabilize speeds in my area, then I'd be for it.. But I'm sure it will not.

Unfortunately I don't know how much bandwidth 4-5 hours of halo 3 would take up.. Nor do I know how to meter it :-\

Thanks Comast -- Charter here I come (again)!

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ilmickeyli:

Nor do I know how to meter it :-\
Du Meter or netmeter will let you keep track of your bw.

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

said by Alcohol:

said by ilmickeyli:

Nor do I know how to meter it :-\
Du Meter or netmeter will let you keep track of your bw.
Not if you have a storage server or move content around your house it skews the #s.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

"Net Meter monitors network traffic through all network connections on the computer it's installed on, and displays real-time graphical and numerical downloading and uploading speeds. The software supports to display transfer rates of multiple network connections at the same time. It also logs network traffic and provides daily, weekly, monthly, and summary traffic reports.. The software supports to show transfer rates for multiple connections at the same time. You can view WAN and LAN transfer rates at a time."

I don't use netmeter but i found this in the faq. Not sure if there's a way to show lan usage separately.

waynedunham

join:2003-06-11
Burlington, CT
reply to Edit This

I'm in a similar but worse situation than ilmickeyli. I have an HTPC, 2 ReplayTV's, VOD Movie Box, Multiple PC's, etc all running off my Comcast connection.

Does anyone know of any software/hardware that can keep track of network usage for an entire connection.

We need a router and/or cable modem that can track those figures and have the information easily accessible.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to ilmickeyli

said by ilmickeyli:

I don't know what I'm going to do... Between the VOD (Netflix) and playing xbox live A LOT, this is very concerning.

I honestly do not torrent anymore, I've grown out of that phase..

If this would actually stabilize speeds in my area, then I'd be for it.. But I'm sure it will not.

Unfortunately I don't know how much bandwidth 4-5 hours of halo 3 would take up.. Nor do I know how to meter it :-\

Thanks Comast -- Charter here I come (again)!
Comcast isn't changing their practice, they just added a number to it. If you're not having a problem now, you're not likely to. As for Halo, online gaming bandwidth is minimal, it should be a non-issue (probably less than 10 KB/s each direction, depending on the game).
--
Interested in open source engine management for your Subaru?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to waynedunham

Click for full size
said by waynedunham:

I'm in a similar but worse situation than ilmickeyli. I have an HTPC, 2 ReplayTV's, VOD Movie Box, Multiple PC's, etc all running off my Comcast connection.

Does anyone know of any software/hardware that can keep track of network usage for an entire connection.

We need a router and/or cable modem that can track those figures and have the information easily accessible.
If you buy (or already have) a WRT54GL router from Linksys, and load up the Tomato Firmware, you can configure it to monitor all bandwidth usage on your network.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.US

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1
reply to Alcohol

I've tried it in the past and its B.S I've never got it working because there is no way to talk to my WAN device (router) and I'm not buying nor installing multiple NICs to satisfy my ISP.

danweber
Premium
join:1999-07-09
Pompano Beach, FL
reply to Edit This

Shouldn't Comcast provide a way to query the used bandwith? All cell phone providers already do that so you can monitor your usage and act accordingly. It seems that it would only be fair for Comcast to provide the same for its customers, BEFORE, they enforce caps. Sure, there are ways for us customers to do it but the burden should be with Comcast, not us.

MichaelG123

@breakwater.com
reply to Edit This

Is the 250GB limit per calendar month or billing month. That is are they counting from the first day of the month to the last day of the month, for any given month, or are they using the billing cycle, which for me starts a quarter of the way into a month.

Thanks

K3

join:2008-05-06
Kankakee, IL

It'll go with your billing cycle, like mine is the 14th through the 13th of the following month. Im glad they finally told us, 250GB/month is plenty enough for me.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by K3:

It'll go with your billing cycle
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen anything to indicate whether or not it is related to your billing cycle which happens to be a month or a calendar month.

K3

Kankakee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

I called comcast this morning and they told me it will go with the billing cycle, I should have included that with my last post, sorry.

Also I asked if Blast is affected by the caps and it is, Business class is the only service not affected by the caps.

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

said by K3:

I called comcast this morning and they told me it will go with the billing cycle, I should have included that with my last post, sorry.

Also I asked if Blast is affected by the caps and it is, Business class is the only service not affected by the caps.
As long as you do not get it in writing it is not worth jack. I have seen 3 different answers from 2 different people with CC.

Just my opinion.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

K3

Kankakee, IL

In writing, lol. This site has some of the most paranoid un-trusting users I have ever seen. How bout you call them up and they'll tell you the same thing they told me

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

said by K3:

In writing, lol. This site has some of the most paranoid un-trusting users I have ever seen. How bout you call them up and they'll tell you the same thing they told me
Yes, in writing. Paranoia would be if the distrust would be without reason. After the many documented incidents we have seen, this is just caution in dealing with an entity that in my opinion sees no problem in not telling the truth to the Federal Communication Comission.

In my opinion, when dealing with a potential serial liar getting clauses in writing is good insurance when the party may choose not to remember or suddenly claim that something else was implied at potential problems in the future.

Keep laughing, I believe it sounds quite hollow.

I see no reason to call CC, I have had the pleasure of dealing with their telephone support enough and I see no reason to get more friends from India.
--
Treason is a matter of dates

wenter99
Alpha Male
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Albuquerque, NM
reply to K3

said by K3:

I called comcast this morning and they told me it will go with the billing cycle, I should have included that with my last post, sorry...
Seems reasonable enough to believe Sturm. Most services are measured by billing date.

What's the difference anyway? six of one or a half dozen of the other...
--
"Sometimes all you can do is just hunker down and take it, like a jackass caught out in a hail storm". LBJ

techguy

@pacbell.net
reply to ilmickeyli

expect charter to only be worse than bombcast in terms of bandwidth caps!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to Edit This

Additionally, see the forum FAQ for bandwidth abuse threads here ---> »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Does Comcast have bandwidth use limits?

One bandwidth limitations thread open at a time and the open one is specified in the FAQ. Please don't open another without moderator approval.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .