uniqs
share rss forum feed

shavano
Even in America -- I long for America

join:2003-06-08
Dallas, TX

Print large PDF across multiple sheets?

I have a PDF that is scaled for 24"x36". I'd like to be able to either:

1. Print a section of it to scale on a single 8.5x11 sheet. That is, display at actual size and have an approx 8x10 window I can move around to select a print area.

2. Print the entire document at actual size across multiple sheets, similar to what Excel does if your document is bigger than the paper size.

I can't find a built-in way via Preview or Adobe Reader. Am I missing it? Is there another app that will do it?

ross7

join:2000-08-16

2 edits
Import the PDF file into Photoshop, and resize/scale to the size you want, then print. Or, cut and paste 8"x10.5" pieces to new PSD files, then save the new files to PDF documents, or print the PSD file to Acrobat Distiller, or save as PDF. Print the new files. Once printed, cut and paste the pieces into a whole.

Import the PDF into Illustrator, and export as EPS. Open Word, (or Xpress, or InDesign, etc.), and place the EPS, size it to fit the printed page size you want, print the document.

MindCad Tiler 2.0.

shavano

Dallas, TX
I don't want to resize/scale it. I want to print it in sections at its native scale/actual size on 8.5.x11 paper -- either a selected area that fits on one sheet or the whole thing on multiple sheets of paper.

It's a house plan at 1/4" = 1' scale. It prints on 24"x36" paper but I don't want to run to Kinkos and pay $2 per page every time there's a revision or I need a fresh copy of some small part or it.

I just want to be able to print parts of it and have it come out at the right scale so I can accurately measure things.

I tried doing it via a screen capture but the scale was still way off after a couple different print settings.

The MindCad looks like what I need. I'll try it in a bit.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

1 edit
reply to shavano
Do you have a copy of Graphic Converter?

It does this, used it to print out a large Map. This is one "classic" Mac feature I miss...

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL
reply to shavano
Just read about this in MacWorld. Maybe it's what you want?

»www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20···sterazor

PosteRazor cuts a raster image into pieces which can afterwards be printed out and assembled to a poster.
As input, the PosteRazor takes a raster image. The resulting poster is saved as a multipage PDF document. An easy to use, wizard like user interface guides through 5 steps.

Free.

shavano

Dallas, TX
I'll try that too.

The MindCad Tiler does half of what I wanted: it'll print the PDF spanning multiple sheets of paper at actual size. Not very polished or intuitive, but it did print out a page at the drawing's proper scale. No flexibility to choose a random area of the PDF, unfortunately.

ross7

reply to shavano
said by shavano:

I don't want to resize/scale it. I want to print it in sections at its native scale/actual size on 8.5.x11 paper -- either a selected area that fits on one sheet or the whole thing on multiple sheets of paper.

It's a house plan at 1/4" = 1' scale. It prints on 24"x36" paper but I don't want to run to Kinkos and pay $2 per page every time there's a revision or I need a fresh copy of some small part or it.

I just want to be able to print parts of it and have it come out at the right scale so I can accurately measure things.

I tried doing it via a screen capture but the scale was still way off after a couple different print settings.

The MindCad looks like what I need. I'll try it in a bit.
So you tried within PS, or Illustrator, to cut sections from the original and then saving the cut sections as new files, or just printing the sections, then "Undo" cut, and it didn't work? I don't think you know much about PS or Illustrator, in that case.

Hopefully, Mindcad Tiler 2.0 will work for you, but you should learn to use/adapt the powerful tools you already have.

Also, if this document is a PDF, what makes you think it prints at 1/4"=1' in the first place? Moreover, if these are not final plans, or you wish to alter the plans in the future, how exactly are you going to accomplish that without at least having Acrobat 8 or 9 (not Reader), PS CSx, or Illustrator CSx, or a cad program?

Who/what is the source of the plans in the first place? Why don't you pay a blueprint shop to reproduce copies? The first copy is not cheap, but secondary and thereafter are, and all are scaled properly if the original was. Change in construction details are best done at larger sizes than 1/4"=1', "blown-up" as it were, for clarity. NO ONE builds by measuring off a blueprint. It is ALWAYS required to call out measurements on the drawing since maintenance of true scale cannot be relied upon, and it is always mandatory to VERIFY ALL dimensions in the field.

If your plans are professionally produced (done by an architect) they are copyrighted, and may not be reproduced without express written permission, or as specified in the contract, anyway.

shavano

Dallas, TX
said by ross7:

So you tried within PS, or Illustrator, to cut sections from the original and then saving the cut sections as new files, or just printing the sections, then "Undo" cut, and it didn't work? I don't think you know much about PS or Illustrator, in that case.

Hopefully, Mindcad Tiler 2.0 will work for you, but you should learn to use/adapt the powerful tools you already have.

Also, if this document is a PDF, what makes you think it prints at 1/4"=1' in the first place? Moreover, if these are not final plans, or you wish to alter the plans in the future, how exactly are you going to accomplish that without at least having Acrobat 8 or 9 (not Reader), PS CSx, or Illustrator CSx, or a cad program?

Who/what is the source of the plans in the first place? Why don't you pay a blueprint shop to reproduce copies? The first copy is not cheap, but secondary and thereafter are, and all are scaled properly if the original was. Change in construction details are best done at larger sizes than 1/4"=1', "blown-up" as it were, for clarity. NO ONE builds by measuring off a blueprint. It is ALWAYS required to call out measurements on the drawing since maintenance of true scale cannot be relied upon, and it is always mandatory to VERIFY ALL dimensions in the field.

If your plans are professionally produced (done by an architect) they are copyrighted, and may not be reproduced without express written permission, or as specified in the contract, anyway.
Wow. That's an amazingly ridiculous response.

Where did you get the idea I had tried or even owned PS or Illustrator? I said nothing of the sort.

What makes me think it prints at 1/4" is a) that is what it was drawn at and b) that's what it is when I have it printed at full size 24"x36" at Kinkos which is what Adobe Reader tells me is its actual size. And I empirically know this to be true because that's what scale all the dimensions that are marked actually measure to be on the sheets I did print at full size.

Where did I say anything about altering the plans? "Moreover", where did I say I was trying to build anything off these plans?

The originals are done in CAD by the architect and he sent me PDFs for review as we discuss some of the layout. I don't want to have to run to Kinkos for a full size copy when I just need a small section that I have concerns about.

The reason I want them printed at scale is so I can measure some things that are not dimensioned on these preliminary drawings. Sometimes I want to sketch something in like furniture to see how it might fit and it's harder to do that if I have to adjust to some very odd scale that it printed at.

Try being less of a jerk and work on your reading comprehension.

ross7

said by shavano:

Wow. That's an amazingly ridiculous response.

Where did you get the idea I had tried or even owned PS or Illustrator? I said nothing of the sort.

What makes me think it prints at 1/4" is a) that is what it was drawn at and b) that's what it is when I have it printed at full size 24"x36" at Kinkos which is what Adobe Reader tells me is its actual size. And I empirically know this to be true because that's what scale all the dimensions that are marked actually measure to be on the sheets I did print at full size.

Where did I say anything about altering the plans? "Moreover", where did I say I was trying to build anything off these plans?

The originals are done in CAD by the architect and he sent me PDFs for review as we discuss some of the layout. I don't want to have to run to Kinkos for a full size copy when I just need a small section that I have concerns about.

The reason I want them printed at scale is so I can measure some things that are not dimensioned on these preliminary drawings. Sometimes I want to sketch something in like furniture to see how it might fit and it's harder to do that if I have to adjust to some very odd scale that it printed at.

Try being less of a jerk and work on your reading comprehension.
Not a ridiculous response at all. Curt, maybe, as I was in a hurry, and responding to the tone of your reply. If you want an explicit answer, without giving explicit info about your software and resources, you will have to accept the best guess for the best use of common tools many/most people have access to. If you wanted responses limited to the software you owned and knew how to use, other than Acrobat Reader, you should have listed the software you use or have access to.

Your first post indicates you wanted to be able to freely select the portion of the larger drawing you were most interested in and to be able to print it at 1/4"=1' scale. My answer gave some alternative methods for accomplishing exactly that, along with the ability to rescale to a larger dimension that might be more useful for accurate measurement of specific areas of interest off the plan, or provide for inclusion of more detail clearly illustrating any changes you might wish to make, or detail more easily interpreted at larger scale.

As for printing to true scale, a PDF document is not the best of choices, unless a great deal of care is taken in the conversion of the cad document to PDF format. It is a quick and dirty, inexpensive method of getting drawings out to a client without losing control over the design drawings. It is nice for you that the PDF prints at all, let alone at scale. You have a friendly architect. Why don't you ask him for sections at scale for the areas of concern in PDF format? That would seem to be the easiest way to obtain what you want. You could also ask the architect for fully dimensioned drawings for the sections and/or details you are concerned about, then, you wouldn't have to measure anything.

If you want to "arrange the furniture" without messing up your oh-so-expensive $2.00/page Kinko copies, make yourself some 1/4"=1' scale outlines of your furniture on felt or colored paper, and place them on the drawing in the configurations you want, rearranging to your heart's content.

Most people commission architectural drawings in order to build or remodel a dwelling or commercial space. The drawings require dimensions because the building department requires them, and the eventual builder will be building from them. I don't know many people who commission architectural drawings without at least the intent to build or remodel a structure. Of course, you could be the exception...

Insulting me for trying to help you is just plain stupid. For all I know, you could have downloaded an example set of house plans in PDF format from an on-line architectural outfit, and then attempted to convert them into a usable set of scaled drawings without having paid for them.

In any case, if you don't like the freeware I recommended, take it up with the author/publisher/coder, don't bitch at me! If you want to dish out abuse, expect to receive some in return. I was just trying to help you.

shavano

Dallas, TX
said by ross7:

Most people commission architectural drawings in order to build or remodel a dwelling or commercial space. The drawings require dimensions because the building department requires them, and the eventual builder will be building from them. I don't know many people who commission architectural drawings without at least the intent to build or remodel a structure. Of course, you could be the exception...

Insulting me for trying to help you is just plain stupid. For all I know, you could have downloaded an example set of house plans in PDF format from an on-line architectural outfit, and then attempted to convert them into a usable set of scaled drawings without having paid for them.

In any case, if you don't like the freeware I recommended, take it up with the author/publisher/coder, don't bitch at me! If you want to dish out abuse, expect to receive some in return. I was just trying to help you.
I initially asked a simple question about whether there was anything that would let me select a section of a large PDF and print it at the correct scale or else print the entire PDF at scale across multiple sheets.

Your first response was helpful. As I stated, the MindCad Tiler does part of that. Nowhere did I "bitch at" you for that advice or "dish out abuse" for it.

However, your second response was a collection of condescending, unsolicited, unnecessary advice based on an apparent mis-reading of what I wrote and on some wild, incorrect assumptions about what I was trying to do.

You could have just asked for clarification of what I was doing if you thought it was relevant instead of assuming things and then making insulting comments based on that.

Your latest post continues the condescension based on faulty assumptions.

Since you seem to know something about architecture and construction, you might understand there are several phases in that process, running from conceptual sketches to actual detailed construction documents. We are somewhere in the middle of that process -- basic layout is done but there are a few small areas that we are still trying to nail down before he does the detailed documents for the builder.

And because these are not final construction docs there are things in those areas that are not dimensioned that I sometimes want to measure. You would probably also know that calling up architect for that information is an expensive solution. It's also not very quick since he is not just sitting around waiting for my call.

And if you think about it, the fact that I'm having a house custom-designed probably means the $2/page cost at Kinko's is NOT "oh-so-expensive" to me. I was trying to avoid the hassle of going there when all I needed was one small part of the drawing.

I asked a simple question. You gave me a link to something that does part of what I wanted. I appreciate that. Thanks.

dan02

join:2004-01-28
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to shavano
Click for full size
if you have Adobe Illustrator (if not ask someone who has)

- Open the PDF in Ilustrator.

- in Illustrator, go to View, scroll to Show Page Tiling

- Go to File, select Print

- Click Page Setup, choose the Printer, Paper Size to Letter, click OK

- in the small box, click Setup (under General).

- go to Tiling, scroll to Tile Full Pages.

you will have an image similar to the attached image, where each small rectangle is a 8.5x11 and the large rectangle is your document (24x36).

- Click Print

hope this help,

shavano

Dallas, TX
Thanks, but I don't have Illustrator nor know anyone who does. But that's what the free MindCad Tiler does.

I tried Tiler and it works. Of course I print a single page of my choosing from the group and if that page contains all of the area I'm interested in, it works great.

I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution to avoid the necessity of driving up to Kinko's and printing out the full sheets every time I got an update with a small change to one part.

The design is close enough to being complete at this level that it's not a big deal.

SWHL

join:2008-09-16
West Vancouver, BC
reply to shavano
"...2. Print the entire document at actual size across multiple sheets, similar to what Excel does if your document is bigger than the paper size..."

I have just printed a 24" x 30" PDF on 2 11" x 17" sheets using Acrobat 8, so maybe this will help:

In Acrobat 8:
1. Go to PRINT SETUP and choose paper size: 8.5” x 11”; landscape or portrait.

2. Go to PRINT, at PAGE SCALING choose TILE LARGE PAGES. The preview window will show the number of target sheets the 24"x30" original would be split up.

3. At TILE SCALE choose the scale you want. In your case it'll be 100%. However, you can set it at a different scale, e.g. 50%, and the preview window will show the number of sheets accordingly.

4. Print.

I hope this works for you. I’d also like to know how one can choose and print a ‘window’ of a specific size from a PDF. I could import the PDF into my CAD program and then set print size, but I’m always looking for a easier(more efficient) way.