spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sparky12

join:2000-02-27
Nokomis, FL

Usage monitoring software for home network?

I have 3 - 4 computers on my LAN. If I'd like to keep track of my usage, do I have to install monitoring software on all machines and add up the totals by checking on each? Or is there something that can keep a running tally of total usage in and out of my house?

Thanks - Mark

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
I don't think transferring data between your computers counts.

Sparky12

Nokomis, FL
No I mean is there a way for me to tally all of the internet usage, the WAN, from several computers in one program on one machine. Or should I look to install separate monitoring programs on each of the computers in my household? I'm not talking about LAN file transfers and stuff.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
said by Sparky12:

No I mean is there a way for me to tally all of the internet usage, the WAN, from several computers in one program on one machine. Or should I look to install separate monitoring programs on each of the computers in my household? I'm not talking about LAN file transfers and stuff.
Oh I see. I would think so there would. Sounds like a good application to have.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

Sparky12

Nokomis, FL
I'm doing some searching on it and will post back when I turn up something that seems worthwhile. Really I should have just done that first, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to Sparky12
said by Sparky12:

I have 3 - 4 computers on my LAN. If I'd like to keep track of my usage, do I have to install monitoring software on all machines and add up the totals by checking on each? Or is there something that can keep a running tally of total usage in and out of my house?
It would probably make sense to make one of your computers -- or perhaps an old spare lying around -- your Internet gateway box so that you can monitor that interface for the grand total. Otherwise, you'll get your LAN traffic mixed in with your WAN traffic.

There are plenty of people here that can help you with that project, and it only takes a little time to set up.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
South Elgin, IL
So this is not something you could get from your router? Using a computer as a gateway makes sense. It would not have to be anything powerfull would it? Would an old 500mhz PC do the trick?
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
500 MHz with two $10 network cards inserted -- that's more than enough.

There are plenty of free Linux solutions to make it work, including some that are essentially hard-diskless (they boot and run from CD and a floppy). Windows XP comes with Internet Connection Sharing.

Someone will hopefully reply with their favorite choices.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...