Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to Unit649

Re: Bandwidth Monitor for Computers-Suggestions?

I just read on the Comcast forums that the company is developing a suite of tools to monitor usage.
Hopefully at the modem level.
Whether or not they will be done by October 1st I do not know.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
said by KevTech:

I just read on the Comcast forums that the company is developing a suite of tools to monitor usage.
Hopefully at the modem level.
Whether or not they will be done by October 1st I do not know.
I am probably just being blind and missed it, but where abouts on their forum did you see the post?

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:

I'm curious as to why would you buy this router from T-Mobile and not use the voice features? Having the SIM card(s) and voice capability is the whole point of this router. Otherwise you could just go buy a regular Linksys.
I didn't buy it from T-Mobile.

The reason I did purchase it, however, is because it has (as I've already noted), double the RAM and double the ROM of the normal WRT54G, even the GS. That's a ton of extra space that makes it run faster and support even more feature-rich firmwares than the other stock WRT54GLs. I couldn't care less about telephony and voice features, especially since I have Sprint; I'm just in it because for $70 on eBay you can get one custom modded with a JTAG, heatsink, PoE modifications, pre-flashed, and with the double RAM and ROM. That's a killing compared to how much a new GL costs.

That's why.

Regardless, it's amazingly well suited for bandwidth monitoring like this with Tomato.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

Movieman420

join:2007-08-28
reply to Unit649
I was using NetLimiter 2 Pro before the hard cap was declared...nice thing is that it monitors all processes and it counts network traffic and net traffic separate. Bad thing is it needs to be on all pcs using the connection. Great program tho...

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3

3 edits
reply to bryank
said by bryank:

I have a linksys wrt54g router, have the DD-WRT firmware installed, and use a program called RFlow Collector to monitor my bandwidth on my network. Works really nice once set up.
Can RFlow Collector work with Tomato too or is there something else that I can run on one PC that pulls the data from Tomato?

said by MxxCon:

Check out RASG&S from the developer of FlashFXP
»trvx.com/rasgs/
(new, better looking version with less memory will be released in a few hours.)
Interesting, I've never seen this one posted. How's it compare with the free NetMeter? This one hasn't been updated in over a year, do you really know a new update is coming? I don't even see anything in their forums about a new version.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Nerdtalker
said by Nerdtalker:

said by fuziwuzi:

I'm curious as to why would you buy this router from T-Mobile and not use the voice features? Having the SIM card(s) and voice capability is the whole point of this router. Otherwise you could just go buy a regular Linksys.
I didn't buy it from T-Mobile.

The reason I did purchase it, however, is because it has (as I've already noted), double the RAM and double the ROM of the normal WRT54G, even the GS. That's a ton of extra space that makes it run faster and support even more feature-rich firmwares than the other stock WRT54GLs. I couldn't care less about telephony and voice features, especially since I have Sprint; I'm just in it because for $70 on eBay you can get one custom modded with a JTAG, heatsink, PoE modifications, pre-flashed, and with the double RAM and ROM. That's a killing compared to how much a new GL costs.

That's why.

Regardless, it's amazingly well suited for bandwidth monitoring like this with Tomato.
That makes sense, then. I bought mine from T-Mobile to use the @Home service. So far I'm VERY impressed, the voice quality is on par with landlines. Even when I'm doing some heavy downloading the voice quality never falters (it does automatic QOS for the voice service). I have the standard Comcast 6/1 service and have my desktop computer hardwired to the router. I have my TiVO connecting to the router wirelessly using the 802.11g service. And with a DECT6.0 cordless handset system connected to the POTS jack on the router, I get phone service throughout my apartment.

I just wish Linksys would let the router's log be accessed by a computer on the internal network. That could make keeping up with the data much easier.
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits
reply to Lex Luthor
Click for full size
said by Lex Luthor:

said by MxxCon:

»trvx.com/rasgs/
Interesting, I've never seen this one posted. How's it compare with the free NetMeter? This one hasn't been updated in over a year, do you really know a new update is coming? I don't even see anything in their forums about a new version.
I've been using rasgs since 2002 and i have my daily bandwidth stats from back then
I'm talking to bigstar(developer of flashfxp and this rasgs) on daily basis. right now i'm using v1.42 with new graph drawing algorithm. I'm trying to poke him to upload this new version on the website

Rod P5
Premium
join:2003-02-09
Purcellville, VA
reply to Unit649
For Mac OS X Users

SurplusMeter and a minimum of OS X 10.4.4 will give you what you need, in a simple small business or home office setup.
FWIW,
-Rod

bjy207166

join:2005-10-05
Bowie, MD
reply to Unit649
So Tomato only works on WRT54G Version 1 - 4?

Do you have to ad anything on to get bandwidth monitoring in the DDWRT Micro?

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

»trvx.com/rasgs/
I see the new version is there now. I tried it quickly, but I think it's pretty ugly compared to the free NetMeter. The window is just a lot more bulky and I don't see any transparency options.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to bjy207166
said by bjy207166:

So Tomato only works on WRT54G Version 1 - 4?

Do you have to ad anything on to get bandwidth monitoring in the DDWRT Micro?
And the GS.

# Linksys WRT54G v1-v4, WRT54GS v1-v4, WRT54GL v1.x, WRTSL54GS (no USB support)

It's almost all the same hardware that DD-WRT supports, granted DD-WRT supports more. Not sure about DDWRT micro, but I'm sure you can get something together.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to Lex Luthor
there is no transparency. it's not really intended to be "always on top" all the time, but rather running unobtrusively in the background taking up as little memory as possible and counting your bytes. when you want to see your bandwidth graph, you open it up. i have it configured to be full width of my screen in the lower part of the screen, about 300px high. with graph rate of every 5sec i can see traffic overview for the last hour. if i want to see further back, i enable "browse" mode.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to Lex Luthor
I installed NetMeter on my main box on the 1st and also flashed the BIOS on my Linky WRT54GS to Tomato V.1.21 firmware.

NetMeter is obviously monitoring all traffic on my NIC w/o discriminating between local network and internet. I'm seeing about 3 times as much bandwidth reported on that one NIC via NetMeter than Tomato is showing for the entire domain (WAN only).

I decided, finally, to start monitoring since it would be embarrassing to be periodically unable to moderate the CC Forum because CC had throttled me. And, before someone asks, I am not interested in downloading those pics some of you fellows like and I am not a thief. We do hold a couple of subscriptions to netflix.com and daughter has a season pass to watch shows via Amazon. There are also a couple of TechNet Plus subscriptions (download only) in this household.

Now that I can monitor bandwidth on the WAN, I can see how it would be possible for us to top that 250GB limit. Not likely, but entirely possible.

Anyway, I can't see how NetMeter can be useful for monitoring internet useage, even though I am also not confident my monitoring using the router firmware will be comparable to whatever means of monitoring Comcast has.

OT and no reply requested: Wondering if you'll all be model forum citizens if I get kicked off and it takes time to switch to FiOS.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

I am probably just being blind and missed it, but where abouts on their forum did you see the post?
Post made by ZaneP where he mentions another forum and a post made by Comcast rep Scott Westerman.

Just announced ( and pulled back down) Data Caps

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
Thank you, as I said, I was probably just being blind last night - skipped right over the links in the post. Thanks again.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

2 recommendations

reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

OT and no reply requested: Wondering if you'll all be model forum citizens if I get kicked off and it takes time to switch to FiOS.
BUWAHAHAHAHAHA.......

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

2 edits
reply to sortofageek
Click for full size
Main laptop
Click for full size
Server/storage laptop - 95% LAN
*HERE* the small amount of LAN traffic I do is accountable.
The rare movie transfer(*NOT* Blu-ray!).
So, when I see a total upload exceeding the normal 6-12, I know some of it is LAN traffic.
See pic.

Take the received and add 10, maybe 12 - that is usually what I do for WAN total. Anything else is LAN.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to KevTech
Here's the external site: »getsatisfaction.com/comcast/topi···_monitor

The exchange goes like this:
Comcast sets 250GB bandwidth cap without giving any way to check bandwidth usage? How is that legal? When can I expect Comcast will have a bandwidth monitoring tool available?

I know the FAQ tells you how to download a tool on a single computer and I know I can install 3rd party firmware to monitor all network traffic. That does not suffice. I need to know at any time what Comcast is reading on my internet usage so I can make internet usage choices accordingly.
Zane, to answer your question directly, I'm told that we are developing a suite of tools that will allow you to monitor your usage as you describe. As these come on line, we'll post the details.

Scott
And Scott Westerman is a big geek (meaning, he has a stellar reputation with me). He wouldn't say that unless he had a high confidence that the company would come through.

That said, we don't want tools that don't work or aren't ready -- which is why some companies won't talk about unreleased software. I like Scott's approach better -- talk about what's being planned and just keep us posted. Late is better than broken.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins
There are a number of computers here, most with several Folding@Home clients. My main box, the one being monitored by NetMeter, is continually monitoring those. This is also a domain, not a workgroup, which may be the reason for more LAN traffic.

Anyway, here are the comparisons so far and these are actually slow days for us. Daughter not around much and I have been outside quite a bit.

One computer - LAN + WAN traffic

WAN traffic only - entire domain

--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
even at 3.6GB total registered per day, that would make it 108GB per month.
Seeing as Tomato shows that as less, like just over 2GB per day, you're in the clear.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 edit
Yes, but that was only me (daughter away) on slow days. I only watched one program each day (about an hour and a half each). We can easily watch more on a lazy day with both at the computers.

Edit: Anyway, my purpose in posting those was mainly to show the difference between what NetMeter monitors as opposed to a router firmware like Tomato.

--

lightzout
Premium
join:2005-07-29
San Anselmo, CA
reply to Unit649
I am still wondering if there are any Mac apps for the apple routers. I only use wireless for a macbook (my PC and xbox are hard wired) but macs just don't seem to like anything besides apple hardware. So just wanted to see if anyone else uses an application for base stations.

sungYungGuy

@comcast.net
said by lightzout:

but macs just don't seem to like anything besides apple hardware
Macs work fine with non-Apple hardware.

In fact, I've never owned any Apple networking hardware, no issues at all. It's all standards-based stuff.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Heh, getting worried now about bandwidth caps and such...

I now have an Asus wl500w but don't want to flash it to DD-WRT because it'll take too long to get back the functionality I have right now (USB drive connected acts like an FTP server). My question is whether I can just take my older WRT54G with DD-WRT on it and use it as a bandwidth meter or not. My worry is that the system will be double-wrouted (can I just bridge it?), and that the router in the middle will choke on all the P2P etc. connections like it did before. Also my worry is that it'll degrade the performance on the WAN connection. If these aren't the case I'll gladly go back to monitoring traffic with it between my new router and the cable modem.

Otherwise, does anyone know of a piece of Mac software that would allow me to do SNMP bandwidth monitoring? The wl500w does support that.

I pos rep

join:2008-08-22
reply to Unit649
Put in the DD-WRT firmware in your router and use that. That is what I have been using to see my usage and it seems pretty good. Also the Tomato router firmware has such a feature I believe.

HR

@comcast.net
reply to Unit649
I've got the Buffalo 54 router that Tomato supports..but so far I'm just a wee bit fearful of flashing the firmware to install Tomato.

Can someone out there handhold me and tell me "its all gonna be alright!" I'd be primarily doing it just for the bandwidth monitoring, but also the Quality of Service feature is awesome...being able to shape traffic.

I assume the Tomato firmware doesn't interfere with standard traffic like, say, passing a VPN signal or what have you....and is port forwarding (to pass, say, a NetMeeting signal) still supported without incident...

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by HR :

I've got the Buffalo 54 router that Tomato supports..but so far I'm just a wee bit fearful of flashing the firmware to install Tomato.

Can someone out there handhold me and tell me "its all gonna be alright!" I'd be primarily doing it just for the bandwidth monitoring, but also the Quality of Service feature is awesome...being able to shape traffic.

I assume the Tomato firmware doesn't interfere with standard traffic like, say, passing a VPN signal or what have you....and is port forwarding (to pass, say, a NetMeeting signal) still supported without incident...
It'll be ok. What I prefer to do, to ensure a successful flashing is, disconnect all devices from the router and leave only 1 computer hard wired to the router. I also disconnect the cable modem so the router has no Internet access.

Then (I use a Linksys), I assign my computer a static IP of 192.168.1.2 (The router is 192.168.1.1), with a subnet of 255.255.2550 and the gateway as the router (192.168.1.1).

The I flash the router with Tomato.

Been using it and have 0 problems!

Homebrew1994
Betzwood Basement Brewery

join:2001-11-15
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to Unit649
I fear I am the only one in the world without a Linksys WRT54G router.

Does anyone have any ideas for other routers?
I have 2:
Belkin F5D6231-4 (an old 80211b I use as to extend range to some hard to the basement)
Netgear Rangemax WPN824 v2 (my main router)
--
My other cyber-pasttime, Where's George
Miserable Failure

inferno4

join:2008-07-06
reply to Unit649
Comcast will monitor your upload as well... Look what the moderator said on the comcast forums:

said by compton:

For now the limit is only for downloads.
You are wrong, check out the moderator's post from the comcast forum (his name is in red)

gglockner

join:2004-01-22
Bellevue, WA
reply to Unit649
Hi, can someone point me to a Cacti for Dummies tutorial? It's a pretty powerful system. I've figured out how to connect it to my router (Apple Time Capsule) and grab its SNMP data, but I can't figure out how to create charts that actually track total bandwidth across the WAN port. Furthermore, does Cacti require me to always keep a computer powered on and running Cacti? Seems like it might be easier to pickup a Linksys router and load Tomato firmware.