Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Ripper

Re: Bandwidth Monitor for Computers-Suggestions?

said by Ripper:

WallWatcher can track your bandwidth if you have a router that is on there supported list. »www.wallwatcher.com/
This sounds like a good option since it pulls the info from the router which is needed to truly see what the usage is. Just monitoring a PC usage does no good when there are dozens of other devices connecting to the Internet.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by aaronwt:

said by Ripper:

WallWatcher can track your bandwidth if you have a router that is on there supported list. »www.wallwatcher.com/
This sounds like a good option since it pulls the info from the router which is needed to truly see what the usage is. Just monitoring a PC usage does no good when there are dozens of other devices connecting to the Internet.
Indeed. We just added a DirecTV HR-21 satellite receiver, and I have already tested the VoD capability. Something running on my HP Pavilion m7590n would only track the BitTorrent and email usage on that computer. I need to watch data movement on that Pavilion, the HP Pavilion a1440n, the HP Pavilion 6745C, the HP Photosmart C6180 All-In-One printer (bi-directional Internet access!), the DirecTV HR-21, and the Sony Playstation 2. I'll have to set it up, and test it.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Using DD-WRT on my current router (WRT54G) but it's a very new model of WRT54G (right before the WRT54G2 I think) and performance is downright crappy.

As such, I'm getting an Asus WL500W in Wednesday. It is also compatible with DD-WRT, however I bought it mostly for the features (onboard BitTorrent, USB storage...it also does pretty well at N routing, with 32 MB of RAM). My question being, using the stock firmware, will WallWatcher work well with the system? If I were to reflash, it'd be to use DD-WRT (would lose a lot of custom stuff though but the mega build does have a lot included) but if not, how could I pull stats off of the router? This is important because I (desktop and laptop) am not the only one using the router (two more computers, XBox 360, Wii).