spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Caravan
@embarqhsd.net

Caravan

Anon

Airbag light

The airbag light on my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L comes on intermittently. I can make this happen when stopped by turning the steering wheel nearly to the limit to the left.

Alldata shows an airbag related recall for the Caravan which states "If the DTC "DRIVER SQUIB CIRCUIT OPEN" is present (either active or stored), the clockspring assembly MUST be replaced."

My Scangauge II does not show a code.

Should I be able to read this DTC with my Scangauge II?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

The symptom does point to the clockspring.

Dorman makes a aftermarket replacement or you can call the local Dealer for the OEM replacement cost to compare prices to aftermarket. Most Parts Stores should be able to order the Dorman brand if they don't have it in stock.

Air Bag Clockspring without Cruise Control

Air Bag Clockspring with Cruise Control

Here is a video showing the installation.

»www.dormanproducts.com/m ··· ring.wmv

You can look up the Dorman brand replacement here:

»www.dormanproducts.com/

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Caravan
@embarqhsd.net

Caravan to Caravan

Anon

to Caravan
Thanks for the pointers to the aftermarket parts.

I'm actually trying to see if the DTC is present to qualify it for "Safety Recall D17 - Clockspring/Lifetime Warranty".

I just don't understand if this particular
DTC should be seen by my Scangauge II.

It's free at the dealer if the DTC is there!

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

2 edits

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Caravan :

Thanks for the pointers to the aftermarket parts.
You are welcome.
said by Caravan :

I'm actually trying to see if the DTC is present to qualify it for "Safety Recall D17 - Clockspring/Lifetime Warranty".

I just don't understand if this particular
DTC should be seen by my Scangauge II.

It's free at the dealer if the DTC is there!
I can't answer that one, don't know the capabilities of the specific scan tool. I'll see if I can find out. Hopefully someone can answer that for you if I don't find anything.

EDIT: This is the scan tool you have, right?

ScanGauge II
»www.scangauge.com/featur ··· ol.shtml
quote:
The ScanGauge II can check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and if found, can display how many there are and the Trouble Codes themselves. Using the internet or repair manuals, these can be translated to the failed component and repairs can be made.
It say yes it reads DTCs. Why it doesn't show your DTC, I can't say and you may want to verify that it can read/display that specific DTC by using their Contact Us link and ask the Manufacturer.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
justsurfin30
join:2005-08-28
Nixa, MO

justsurfin30 to Caravan

to Caravan
I have a 1998 Voyager. Some time back there was a recall for the clockspring, air bagg etc. I had mine fixed under the recall and it did not cost anything. Was yours included in the recall and you did not get notified? You might want to check.

Caravan
@embarqhsd.net

Caravan to Doctor Olds

Anon

to Doctor Olds
Yes, that's the tool.

I actually got the airbag light to stay on solid for several minutes and still could not get a code.

It looks like I will using that link you found next.

Thanks for the research and link!
Caravan

Caravan to justsurfin30

Anon

to justsurfin30
I may have already had too many miles on the vehicle when the original letter came. Here is the what I'm working with now:

"Vehicles with more than 70,000 miles that have a properly functioning clockspring do NOT require any repair action. Vehicles involved in this recall have a lifetime warranty on the clockspring assembly."

It has to show the DTC to qualify.
jpg3660
join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX

jpg3660 to Caravan

to Caravan
Doc is dead-on. You'll find that once the spring fully fails, you won't have horn or cruise functions either.
justsurfin30
join:2005-08-28
Nixa, MO

justsurfin30 to Caravan

to Caravan
When I had my Voyager fixed, on recall, it had over 120k on it. It would pay to check first. Maybe I was lucky.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy to Doctor Olds

MVM

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

I can't answer that one, don't know the capabilities of the specific scan tool. I'll see if I can find out. Hopefully someone can answer that for you if I don't find anything.

EDIT: This is the scan tool you have, right?

ScanGauge II
»www.scangauge.com/featur ··· ol.shtml
quote:
The ScanGauge II can check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and if found, can display how many there are and the Trouble Codes themselves. Using the internet or repair manuals, these can be translated to the failed component and repairs can be made.
It say yes it reads DTCs. Why it doesn't show your DTC, I can't say and you may want to verify that it can read/display that specific DTC by using their Contact Us link and ask the Manufacturer.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
It looks like that scan tool will only read Engine/powertrain DTCs. I don't think it'll read SRS/airbag system codes. With Hondas and Suzukis scanners (the ones the dealers are required to have), all the SRS codes are displayed under a seperate catagory compared to engine DTCs.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Caravan

Premium Member

to Caravan
That may be the issue.

bigunk
Gort, Klattu Birada Nikto
join:2001-02-10
USA

bigunk

I had a 98 Grand Caravan. Had 150K when I brought it in for the recall. No problems. They changed the clockspring and all was well until I sold the car with 210K on it.
xj31
join:2005-09-25
Lake Villa, IL

xj31 to Caravan

to Caravan
If your minivan currently has MORE than 70,000 miles and the AIRBAG light operates normally (illuminates
for a few seconds after you start your minivan, and then goes out), the clockspring in your vehicle is functioning
properly and no further action is necessary at this time. If the clockspring assembly fails at any time in the
future, regardless of mileage, your dealer will replace it without charge to you (diagnosis, parts and labor).
Remember to check the AIRBAG warning light to be sure that the airbag system is functioning properly.

Quote from the recall letter that they sent to owners.
If turning the wheel makes the light come on,you have a bad clockspring

Caravan
@embarqhsd.net

Caravan to Doctor Olds

Anon

to Doctor Olds
I've sent that note to the manufacturer of the Scangauge to confirm whether or not it should be reading that particular DTC. I'll post the reply as soon as it is received.

In the meantime, the vehicle will going to the dealership to request service under the "lifetime warranty" for the clockspring.

Thanks to each of you for your comments!