Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bondo

@comcast.net
reply to pianotech

Re: Bandwidth Limits - All discussion here

said by pianotech:

When you think about it, every other commodity or utility we buy is metered. Water, natural gas, oil, gasoline, electricity, cell phone minutes....

Why do we expect bandwidth to be different?
oh yeah, that's a good comparison. I just love it when the phone, water, gas, electricity decide to shut off and ban me for a year for using too much of it any given month.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

It is actually a better comparison that you are giving credit for. You pay for gas and water by the cubic foot, and electricity by the kilowatt hour. The more you use, the more you have to pay. If you use more than you can afford to pay for, and fail to pay the bill, you do get cut off.

So what will happen when you are charged by the GB for your Internet use?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA
reply to bondo

said by bondo :

said by pianotech:

When you think about it, every other commodity or utility we buy is metered. Water, natural gas, oil, gasoline, electricity, cell phone minutes....

Why do we expect bandwidth to be different?
oh yeah, that's a good comparison. I just love it when the phone, water, gas, electricity decide to shut off and ban me for a year for using too much of it any given month.
I said METERED. METERED. As in, you pay for your usage. The electric company charges you more when you use more electricity and less when you use less. The water company charges you more when you use more electricity and less when you use less.

I'll ask you again: why should we expect bandwidth to be different?
--
For a list of the ways technology has not made life better, please press 3.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by pianotech:

The water company charges you more when you use more {sic}electricity water and less when you use less.
I don't know about your water company. But mine and all the others I know pay a minimum FEE no matter how much water you use. Even if you use none, you still pay a minimum amount.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

said by FFH:

said by pianotech:

The water company charges you more when you use more {sic}electricity water and less when you use less.
I don't know about your water company. But mine and all the others I know pay a minimum FEE no matter how much water you use. Even if you use none, you still pay a minimum amount.
That goes without saying. But after that minimum fee, you pay based on your usage.

interman

join:2002-12-27
Concord, MA
reply to bondo

and do not forget, you can always pay more for water, NG, oil and electricity if you want more, but not with comcast.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

said by interman:

and do not forget, you can always pay more for water, NG, oil and electricity if you want more, but not with comcast.
With water, NG, oil and electricity, when you use less, you pay less, right?

I plunder Comcast's poor network with a whopping 30GB(more or less) per month, but I am still paying the same $52.95 as the 200+GB people.

Apples and oranges?
If Comcast went to the "Bill-By-Byte" scheme, care to do the math on what my monthly bill would work out to be?
$7.00?
$8.00?

Cool by me!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

Sky King

join:2001-07-02
Naugatuck, CT
reply to pianotech

If they advertise that up front and then folks buy into it that is a different story. You pay a flat fee for internet service and should not have to pay more because you are on more or download more. Should those that don't get on much or don't download much get a rate cut? Its a slippery slope. By your logic, comparing it to gas, water etc....the less one uses it the less one should pay so when I stay off the internet most of a given month I expect my bill to reflect my lack of usage.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Yes... if Comcast HSI was metered, sure!
You pay a flat fee for average Residential service.
The average is(claimed) 2-3GB per month.

Seeing as they have set the bar rather high at 250GB, and from what I have read even that is a *soft* cap, using more than 250GB would be inadvisable.
--

sturmvogel
Obama '08

join:2008-02-07
Houston, TX

said by dadkins:

Yes... if Comcast HSI was metered, sure!
You pay a flat fee for average Residential service.
The average is(claimed) 2-3GB per month.

Seeing as they have set the bar rather high at 250GB, and from what I have read even that is a *soft* cap, using more than 250GB would be inadvisable.
It IS metered. If one passes a set limit (250 GB), the account is flagged for abuse. As we can see here at Webster's:

tr.v. me·tered, me·ter·ing, me·ters

1.To measure with a meter: meter a flow of water.
2.To supply in a measured or regulated amount: metered the allotted gasoline to each vehicle.
3.To imprint with postage or other revenue stamps by means of a postage meter or similar device: metering bulk mail.
4.To provide with a parking meter or parking meters: meter parking spaces.
--
Obama '08. Will help resolve the terrible broadband issues we have that put us so far behind other countries.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Dude! LOL!
Do you get charged like... water?
Electricity?
Gas?
As in, by the unit? No!

It is not a metered service.
If it were, my bill would be about $6.35 per month.
--

sturmvogel
Obama '08

Houston, TX

said by dadkins:

Dude! LOL!
Electricity?
Gas?
As in, by the unit? No!

I hope that the words "To supply in a measured or regulated amount" and the set limit of 250 GB make some sense with the definition.
--
Obama '08. Will help resolve the terrible broadband issues we have that put us so far behind other countries.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

2 edits

- Metered services (also called pay-per-use) is any type of payment structure in which a customer has access to potentially unlimited resources but only pays for what they actually use. Metered services are becoming increasingly common in enterprise information technology (IT) environments. With utility computing, for example, a company can purchase computing resources to match fluctuating needs. This approach is promoted as being more cost-effective for the company than maintaining a large infrastructure that exceeds the company's average computing power requirements.
Metered services are also gaining popularity in the consumer market. Some Internet service providers (ISPs) have begun to charge customers according to usage instead of charging a flat monthly subscription fee.

...and?

Bolded for clarification
--

sturmvogel
Obama '08

Houston, TX
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Dude! LOL!
Electricity?
Gas?
As in, by the unit? No!

No, it would not. CC would still charge the "base charge" of $42 or whatever they would call it and then charge you over limit. Same as some utility providers charging $whatever for a minimum of x gallons or whatever they sell and then charging by the unit over that limit.

There are variations of metered. Once there are numbers involved as usage, it IS metered, no matter how you would like it to describe it as not being in some Orwellian fashion.
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

Ya know, you can edit your posts here...

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to sturmvogel

If I called it a metered utility, I think we'd hear a cranial explosion from the general direction of Hercules, Calif.!

Answer? Beats me. There's definitely a meter on it, but since you aren't charged extra and can't buy extra, and the 250 GB threshold is not a limit, I think there's an argument that it's not really a metered utility (er, um -- "service".

-- Robb the silly-tired airport-weary traveler
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

sturmvogel
Obama '08

Houston, TX

said by funchords:

If I called it a metered utility, I think we'd hear a cranial explosion from the general direction of Hercules, Calif.!

Answer? Beats me. There's definitely a meter on it, but since you aren't charged extra and can't buy extra, and the 250 GB threshold is not a limit, I think there's an argument that it's not really a metered utility (er, um -- "service".

-- Robb the silly-tired airport-weary traveler
One day when we meet, I will buy you a beer
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

reply to funchords

Like I said, I couldn't care less either way.
Both y'all are wrong.

I too would have to buy Robb a beer.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

(topic move) [OT] Beer Thread

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[OT] Beer Thread

Dizzave678

join:2008-11-25

1 edit
reply to bondo

Re: Bandwidth Limits - All discussion here

does anyone here read the license agreements or anything before purchasing a service. You rent the service out and are therefore restricted by whatever the heck they want to restrict you on. It's simple, if you don't agree with the rules then switch services...............done.