dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to pianotech

Re: Bandwidth Limits - All discussion here

You don't grasp that NO individual can decide what is or is not classified as a utility.
No one is forcing you to have water or electricity, but it usually does have to be offered to the curb.

I have a friend that has water at the road/curb(no actual curbs on his road, but you get the idea) - he uses his well.
The fact is, the water is offered as a utility because it is a utility.
Electricity, yeah! Duh!

No internet or cable until he requested it.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

quote:
You don't grasp that NO individual can decide what is or is not classified as a utility.
No one is forcing you to have water or electricity, but it usually does have to be offered to the curb.

That is simply not so! Many rural areas do NOT have access to municipal water lines. Or sewer lines for that matter. They have wells and septic tanks. Same with natural gas lines. Many places in rural areas here heat with oil or liquid propane tanks because natural gas lines do not hit their area. It really is not uncommon.
--
For a list of the ways technology has not made life better, please press 3.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

Agreed!
But what about here in the city or suburbs?
I cannot have a well drilled.
Windmills are forbidden.
Where do you suggest I get my power and water?
From the Public Utilities, right?

Tell me, who was it that made the utilities - utilities?
You?
Me?
Joe Blowski?

Please quit reaching here friend!
It is not my fault that internet is not a utility, but it isn't!
When it does becaome a metered utility, we can compare bills, ok?
--

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

Your situation in the city is different. I'm just pointing out that many, many, MANY people don't live in the city, and as such, don't have access to municipal water or natural gas. You mentioned in a previous post that those would be considered utilities because while you can do without them, they need to be available (run to the curb, in your words).

I'm just point out that for significant numbers of the population, that is not so.
--
For a list of the ways technology has not made life better, please press 3.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

said by pianotech:

Your situation in the city is different. I'm just pointing out that many, many, MANY people don't live in the city, and as such, don't have access to municipal water or natural gas. You mentioned in a previous post that those would be considered utilities because while you can do without them, they need to be available (run to the curb, in your words).

I'm just point out that for significant numbers of the population, that is not so.
Absolutely!
The *MAJORITY* of people in the United States live in a semi-urban/city-esk area.
These areas are served by - utilities!
These utilities are available to this majority of citizens.
Since nowhere is internet classified as a utility, you get to ORDER it as a luxury.

If you choose to live in the boonies, you are pretty much on your own.
No power, no water, and certainly no internet.
WHEEE!!!

Go for it!
I like hot showers.
I prefer Drip coffee or espresso.
Electric lights.

YMMV

Internet is not a utility - yet. Period.
--