AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

Re: Bandwidth Limits - All discussion here

Dadkins, to use your words, go back and re-read my posts. I never stated Internet access through HSI or otherwise was a utility. The comparison I would make if I were to make such a comparison would be to the public telephone network, which in most cases is not considered a "public utility" and typically has its own classification with its own set of nuances. What I have and continue to take offense at is your statement as fact that Internet access is a luxury.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

said by AVonGauss:

Dadkins, to use your words, go back and re-read my posts. I never stated Internet access through HSI or otherwise was a utility. The comparison I would make if I were to make such a comparison would be to the public telephone network, which in most cases is not considered a "public utility" and typically has its own classification with its own set of nuances. What I have and continue to take offense at is your statement as fact that Internet access is a luxury.
If internet is not a utility, and you want it, what does that make it?

NOTHING that is a utility is being forced on anyone - not power, not water, and not phone.

Other items are not utilities and overall, the majority of people do not have - like internet.
Cable TV is a luxury.
Sat TV is a luxury.
Internet is a luxury - usually carried over cable(a luxury in itself) or copper(phone lines - also a luxury) - right?

AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

NOTHING that is a utility is being forced on anyone - not power, not water, and not phone.

Other items are not utilities and overall, the majority of people do not have - like internet.
Cable TV is a luxury.
Sat TV is a luxury.
Internet is a luxury - usually carried over cable(a luxury in itself) or copper(phone lines - also a luxury) - right?

Your afore mentioned espresso, that is a luxury. Internet access or a telephone affects your ability to obtain or maintain employment, ability to effectively participate in educational services such as college or even to a lesser degree grammar school for starters. To answer your question as to what does that make it? For many today and for many more each day, it is called a necessity Dadkins.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

said by AVonGauss:
said by dadkins:

Cable TV is a luxury.
Sat TV is a luxury.

Your afore mentioned espresso, that is a luxury. Internet access or a telephone affects your ability to obtain or maintain employment, ability to effectively participate in educational services such as college or even to a lesser degree grammar school for starters. To answer your question as to what does that make it? For many today and for many more each day, it is called a necessity Dadkins.
Espresso - uses electricity - a utility.
Internet - a luxury.

Employment can be done by commuting and *going to work*.
College, that building we went to - I walked into?
Grammar school? In the '60s No, internet was not around, sorry!
Ya know, kids do still get taken to school everyday during the school year.

Internet is not a utility friend, no matter that you want it to be or you as an individual claims it to be. Sorry.

Maybe some time in the future, but not at present.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

Espresso - uses electricity - a utility.
Sorry, no.
said by dadkins:

Employment can be done by commuting and *going to work*.
It sounds like you haven't applied for a job recently, if that is the case, then good for you. For others, many are told to go enter an application online - some employers provide a terminal at their location, some do not.
said by dadkins:

College, that building we went to - I walked into?
Grammar school? In the '60s No, internet was not around, sorry!

Ya know, kids do still get taken to school everyday during the school year.
I'm glad you mentioned the 60s, it saves me from pointing out the obvious, it's been a while since you were in school, eh?
said by dadkins:

Internet is not a utility friend, no matter that you want it to be or you as an individual claims it to be. Sorry.

Maybe some time in the future, but not at present.
If you're going to keep posting, the least you could do is also read the other posts. As I reminded you just a few posts up, I have never said Internet access is a "utility" or even ever stated that it should be provided through a public utility. That is a much more complex issue.

What I have said is Internet access for you may be a luxury, just as you (and for that matter myself) may consider espresso a necessity. For many others, affordable and reliable Internet access is more of a necessity, not a luxury. Its not a case of "utility" or bust...

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Tell me pal, how the hell do you make Espresso without electricity?

Quit jumping around please.
The debate is whether internet is a utility or a luxury.
At this point in time, it is still a luxury.
Sorry if that turns your crank, but it's just the way things are.

Everything you listed above can be done without the luxury of the internet.

Say you are starting out - you don't have a phone... you apply for a job... are you screwed? No!
You go back to the place of possible employment and follow up.
No telephone, no internet.
You get the job, you go to work! No internet necessary.
You decide to go to college after work to better yourself, then instead of going home, you go to that big campus with "College" emblazend on it and go to class.
No internet, perhaps computers, but internet is not usually used in class(the IT dept usually blocks it).

Good grief pal, people EVERYDAY go to school, college and work without that thar interwebs.
How is that possible? Maybe because it is not a "necessity".

Anything else I can help you with today?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

3 edits

1 recommendation

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

No Dadkins, I don't believe you could. For what its worth, earlier espresso machines did not use electricity, that is a more recent change.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

said by AVonGauss:
said by dadkins:

No Dadkins, I don't believe you could.
Anytime, just ask!
Me or someone else, here in The Comcast Forum, will try to help out.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

funchords to AVonGauss

MVM

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:
said by dadkins:

No Dadkins, I don't believe you could. For what its worth, earlier espresso machines did not use electricity, that is a more recent change.
How did the cavemen make espresso?