spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

No Cableguy

@teksavvy.com

[Other] Cable modem connection via splitter?

Hi,

Going to be renting a house that has been wired for cable the old fashioned way, ie. termination box on the outside of the house with RG wire strung along the outside of the house to several rooms and then drilled through the wall.

Current occupant has his cable modem in a room that has a dedicate RG run back to the termination box.

I want to have the cable modem in a different room but there is no dedicated cable run to that room. Keeping the modem where it currently is located is not an option, and I cannot drill holes to fish new cables inside the house.

Here's the current cable wiring infrastructure:

termination ----splitter-------- my 'server' room
box |
| |
| -----------run to another room
|
|--------------run to current modem location

a) Will the insertion loss of the splitter (3.5dB) give the modem problems and lower my connection speeds?

b) I've seen that different splitters have different frequency bands, ie. one for DBS, another for something else. If a splitter can be used with the cable modem, what type of splitter should I use and what frequency range should it operate in?

Thanks.

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
kudos:1
What is the termination box?
Is it a splitter?
Wgat is the splitter after the termination box?

The disgram show one output to server room, 2 outputs to another room and modem.

Where do you want to put the modem?

Server room, I guess. May just move the modem to the server room, hook it up and be done with it.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to No Cableguy
My question is..

a. is there a second cable run to the house for a different network?

OR

b. are you getting a separate account, ie your own WANIP using the same cable?

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state

1 edit
reply to No Cableguy
There is always loss at each split. It's all going to depend what the level is at the termination block in your apartment.

Normally the CM is split on the first leg.

Splitters in the 5Mhz to 1000Mhz Range are normally used.

Signal levels won't hurt speed as much as connection stability. If your upstream power level is too high you'll likely be experiencing loss of sync.

How is the layout from where you want the server room to be, and where the Cable Company Terminates with the Inside Cable?

Did the lease stipulate that you couldn't do any modifications or could you get landlord approval.

No Cableguy

@teksavvy.com
said by XPAMD:

Normally the CM is split on the first leg.

Splitters in the 5Mhz to 1000Mhz Range are normally used.

Signal levels won't hurt speed as much as connection stability. If your upstream power level is too high you'll likely be experiencing loss of sync.

How is the layout from where you want the server room to be, and where the Cable Company Terminates with the Inside Cable?

Did the lease stipulate that you couldn't do any modifications or could you get landlord approval.
The cable run from the outdoor termination (demarc) box to the splitter I'm considering is about 5 feet long. From the splitter to where I want to install the CM is another 10 feet. I'd be adding this extra 10' of cable myself. The only reason I want to still have the splitter in the circuit is that I need the cable tv signal on the 2nd output of the splitter.

The location where the CM is currently installed has a cable run of about 35-40' from the demarc (no splitter in the run).

The landlord doesn't care whether I make the changes I propose, so long as I restore things the way they were initially when I move out in the future.

I had thought about getting inside the demarc box and adding the new line for the CM to my server room there but I don't have the tool required to open the demarc box, don't know if there are any available F connectors inside the demarc to do this, and it's questionable if I/landlord is allowed to open the demarc box under the TOS with the cable operator. So I'm stuck considering the cable run after the splitter option , without incurring a service charge from the cable co.

Thanks for any further thoughts.

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
You should be able to access the box, but without seeing it I can't tell you for certain.

However, since your moving your services to a new location, you should be able to get an install done at low cost, or most likely at no cost at all.